Am I being fed some BS ? eolys - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-03-11, 02:59 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Am I being fed some BS ? eolys

Hi Guys,

Just took my 407 for its first MOT passed as I though it would Its been a great car.

However the woman says I need to pay 220 (plus VAT presumably) for 3 ltrs of this fluid. As the mechanic has said its very low.

The car has only done 66k miles

This is where I get susspicious.
1)She says if I don't get it filled then I wil need a new filter and sensor and that will cost aboyt 1200 SHe then said people have driven out and came back the next day and needed to spend that amount.

2) I ask does the sensor say if the level is low? she says yes, so I ask why hasnt it come up with a low level warning The answer really gets my spider senses tingling. Oh the sensors don't always work.

Yeah Right o the sensors dont always work so I have to pay 220 if I don't I will need to pay 1200 + 220 for the liquid.

Is this genuine cos it sure sounds to me like they are drumming up sales here

Thanks in advance.
condition1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-11, 03:12 PM   #2
Inactive User

Hi I had to get my C5 refilled a while back , cost me 154 .There was a warning showing . My wifes 307 1.6 hdi has PARTICLE FILTER MAY BECOME BLOCKED. There is no way I,m going down this route again , the car is getting De-Fap'd ,problem solved once and for all.
citralex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-03-11, 03:16 PM   #3
Inactive User

she is right about the fluid needing to be refilled and ECU reset (with planet). unsure on prices but you can do this yourself (the filling) the ECU reset will need to be done by a planet holder or dealer.

the fluid is added to fuel everytime you add some. so i doubt it will dissappear over night. she is right however that if you run out of fluid you can cause damage to your DPF (diesel particulate filter) which does cost alot of 's to fix

the sensor will show when it is low and will pop up on your dash, in a message saying something about additive or as depollution fault. if the sensor didnt work no doubt you will get the fault message.

shes basically just stating the generic and worse case scenerio all garages do in an attempt to get money. but i would start looking at filling the fuel, and possibly cleaning the DPF. there are guides on this site under the "how to - engine" section

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 31-03-11, 04:07 PM   #4
Inactive User

Thanks guys

Another thing I thought odd. It had its 60k mile service 6 k miles ago and they never mentioned a peep about it. how can it go from fine to extremely dangerous big money fault in 6k miles. If I didnt take it there for MOT they wouldnt see it again until 80k.

Is it normal to check this tank when its in for an MOT?

I'll look into topping this up

Is it normal for this fluid to get low at this sort of miles?

Last edited by condition1; 31-03-11 at 04:11 PM.
Old 31-03-11, 04:24 PM   #5
Inactive User

It's not necessarily a mileage thing, how old is your car, is the miles mainly motorway or around town? If it's the latter then 60,000 arount town is probably the same as 100,000+ motorway.

I wouldn't have thought that 3ltrs would have been so much though, but as Peugeot garages seem to be franchised the price of the parts differes from town to town. I was quoted 700 by a Leicester Peugeot dealer for a particulate filter & got it for 430 at Peugeot in Loughborough just 10 miles away, so it pays to shop around.

I would be more inclined to get someone to remove the insides off your DPF & disable the additive tank & FAP from the ECU as it would probably be cheaper than the cost of the fluid from that garage.

Last edited by steve m; 31-03-11 at 04:26 PM.
steve m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-03-11, 04:35 PM   #6
Inactive User

Car is exactly 3 years old today this was its first MOT. Its mainly motorway miles as this is my opt out compnay car.

Just looking on EBAY now but also rang GSF and they have kits in stock with 3litrs fluid for 80 plus vat I think he said.

Looking at the pics in the how to it seems easy enough.

So should I do it now or wait to the sensor tells me it needs doing

oh and PS she told me eoloys was dealer only and I couldnt get it from anywhere else so she definitely lied about that.
Shame because I have had great service and no complaints so far. Car has been spot on its my first French car and it wont be my last.

Last edited by condition1; 31-03-11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 31-03-11, 04:38 PM   #7

just to put things in perspective, your fluid is low, not empty. it is good practice to get it filled, there are no sensors in the tank. the fluid is pumped into the tank at rate of 8ml per tank. a complete refill kit is 110 quid from peugeot and a little cheaper from Citroen.
best option in my opinion is to buy a kit and fill yourself, guide is on here and get someone kind enough to reset the counters. Or
get another quote from a small independent garage to refill and have it reset.
if you go to peugeot at your mileage they will want to change the filter anyway.
stvstx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-03-11, 04:40 PM   #8
Inactive User

Thanks

Thats what I'll do

cheers again guys

Very useful this forum.
Old 31-03-11, 04:48 PM   #9

Or you have another option which i went for -remove it yourself or have it removed by someone (i think going rate is around 60),
then you will have NO filter, No fluid and No bills ever again,

ps doesn`t effect emissions

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...-%A3100-13017/
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-03-11, 08:31 PM   #10
amo
Inactive User

hi help required
just refilled tank with patfluid from euro car parts 37.15 ltr bottle,i own pp2000
just need advice on how to reset with it,tried earlier but light still on.Complete method would be appreciated and once got to grips with it would be happy to help anyone else in the barnsley area as i have workshop with four poster ramp.
many thanks
andy
amo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in