Air Con and Fan Issues, Please help. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-08-19, 04:17 PM   #1

Default Air Con and Fan Issues, Please help.

Hello all,

After reading the forum for a while I've now decided to bite the bullet and post the issues am facing with my 407 in the hope someone will be able to assist. I have spent over £500 so far and as still no better off from when I started (I wouldn't have embarked on this journey if I know what I know now)

I do apologies if the post is long, am just trying to give as much information as possible so I get the right answer.

I bought a Peugeot 407 Sport HDI 2.0 about 3 months ago with about 132k mileage, it now has 133k. I only use the car for about 20 minutes one way local driver a day, so 40 minutes both way.

When I bought the car the DPF warning was on and the air con wasnt working. The DPF was filled and warning light reset so no more warning light.

I thought the aircon needed re-gassing, so when I took it to be re-gassed the machine flagged up a leak, I was told the rad was leaking but they only do re-gassing, I paid a mobile ac guy £320 for a new rad and re-gas, he fitted it then told me the ac still isnít working, he suspected it was an electrical fault but nothing he can do.

I went to a garage that specialize in AC, the guy did some checks and said I do have an electrical fault but they are not auto electrician so cant help me, he did say when he was doing his checks he noticed the fan wasnít plugged in, he has now plugged in the fan. He said when he plugged in his equipment it showed up that the fan was running but when he inspected it the fan wasnít running. I did notice afterwards that whenever I park the car I hear the fan run for about 10 seconds and stop, this is the first time Iíve noticed this since I bought the car.

I found a mobile auto electrician, who did some checks and said the compressor is at fault, he said he couldnít do this so I sourced for a used compressor on ebay and got the first company that told me I had a leak to fit it. They called me after theyíve fitted the compressor and re-gassed the system to say the ac still isnít working, at this point Iíve already spent over £500 (I hope I didnít start but hindsight is always a good thing), I noticed then myself that the compressor clutch wasnít clicking.

2 days later, about 8.30am on my way to work, I noticed the car was cold and the aircon was working, I stopped the car with the engine still on and checked under the bonnet and the compressor was working, happy days. When I got to work, I stopped and started the engine about 2 to 3 times and on all occasions the compressor kicked in and the ac worked, I thought well maybe the guy that fitted the compressor didnít know how to work the car ac. When I finished work that day about 5.30pm, I turned the ac on and presto the ac wasnít working and the compressor clutch didnít kick in.

The next day the ac was working again in the morning and didnít in the afternoon, over the weekend that followed I did some visual checks then found out that anytime the cooling fan comes on the compressor doesnít kick in, every time the compressor worked and I have ac, the cooling fan wasnít running, this is still the position up to now. I still used the ac this morning on my way to work and it worked but the fan didnít kick in at all, I went to the car about 12pm today and immediately I started the car the fan kicks in and the ac didnít work and as usual the fan stopped after about 10 seconds when I turned off the engine (I didnít move the car at all, I only started the engine).

I decided to buy OBDII, when I plugged it in it came up with 2 codes, P1351 (glow plug) and P0495 (fan speed too high).

Just this weekend that went, I was able to get access to the black box in front of the car by the radiator, there was 4 connections in it, one was brown and big to which I have now figured out is the relay, I wasnít able to disconnect this as it was somehow attached to the black box and as I was only working from under the car with one side jacked up so I couldnít do much. The other 3 connections, I noticed if I unplugged 2 of them the fan doesnít come on at all but the compressor doesnít work too, the last 1 it makes no effect on the fan if I unplug it, the fan kicks in immediately I start the engine. While I was disconnecting and connecting the plugs in the black box I plugged in the OBDII and I got various codes P0532 and P0691, one of these codes I believe is for pressure switch sensor and I think the one connection that I unplugged that didnít affect the operation of the fan might have been for the pressure switch sensor.

Iíve read few thing about the fan operation, so I rolled the fan while the engine was off and it spins for about under 5 seconds then stops, I then had the engine on with the fan working, I held the fan, it stopped and when I left the fan it started working again after a few seconds.

Am hoping with this much information, it can help narrow down what might be wrong, thanks.
407 Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in