Advice in Buying 407 Coupe Please - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-17, 10:24 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Advice in Buying 407 Coupe Please

Good Morning All,

I hope your all well?

Apologies in advanced if this has been posted before but i feel i found the right place to ask my stupid questions :-)

I,m interested in vieweing and potentially buying the Coupe from local independant garage which seems to be well recommended and stock decent cars:

PUG Coupe V6 GT 2.7 HDI - 06 REG
2 former keepers the 1st lady owner had the car from being 1 month old up to last summer 2016 when the last change of keeper was.
the new keeper seems to have had the tow bar and battery and waterpump done but has not kept the car long, not sure why this is
56000 Miles
Very Clean and Spot on MOT History - 1 fail due to headlight washer operation - 4 years ago
7 peugoet stamps and 1 independent on service book
water pump and antifreeze done last year in summer with towbar (coupe with tow bar - ITS coming off if i,m getting it)
new battery Summer 2016.
Rear tyres are Kumo with about 5mm
front tyres are Landsail with about 5mm

It will come with following once the deposit is down:
NEW MOT
interim service on the car oil, oil filter and air filter along with
New the cambelt and tensioner - need help with this please
Full Valet
3 Months warranty wise with nation wide cover (parts and labour)

Please let me know your thoughts on all the above?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am waiting to hear if the following has been done?:

brake fluid
the pollen filter
Replacement of the fuel filter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need Clarification on this please from owners on the forum:

Do i need to:

replace of the particle emissions filter?

the particle emission filter additive reservoir?

Replacement of the high pressure fuel pump belt, is that the fuel injection belt and isnt this part of the cambelt kit?

Can someone please confirm what cambelt kit components and recommended make that need to be done for this car for its age?

does this cover all the belt needs and changes with necessary pullies and tensioners:

Also the whole selection:

please let me know if there is anything else i need to consider or have missed?

Thanks You all for taking the time to read this and helping.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   dscf4080.jpg  

reima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-17, 10:26 AM   #2
Inactive User

sorry i cant add links to show the kits, can i send them to a mod for them to be added please
Old 13-03-17, 06:16 PM   #3

High pressure pump is not run off the main cambelt but on a separate cambelt from one of the camshafts. If purchasing a kit, this belt should be included (incl tensioners etc)

Remember you are paying 3600 and you have the ball in your court, so ask specifically if this belt is being changed too.

Pollen filter is meant to be part of the service so get them to do it as well! My coupe has a full dealer service history but I don't think the pollen filter was ever changed since new (not much air coming from vents and a musty smell... pollen filter was saturated with dirt and mouldy :-/ )

DPF and DPF fluid does not need replacement if it is fine. DPF Fluid check needed around 75-80k. DPF Filter check around 100k. Without Peugeot Planet, it's impossible to tell the condition or state these are in, however with a Peugeot service history, it should be ok.

Just check everything works and listen out for suspension knocks, roll down the windows and test drive too, the cabin is too well insulated - If there is, it's most likely the bottom pivot points and Anti roll bar drop links.

Reading reviews, lots of people experienced heavy tyre wear, same on my coupe too - Most of my MOT's had a failure for one of the tyres - Sorted it quickly with a 4 wheel alignment (~60), all 4 wheels were pointing in different directions So check to see if there is even tyre wear as well.

Landsail tyres, AKA ditchfinders are cheap chinese tyres. Get the dealer to knock off 200 atleast for new tyres.

Other than that, you will hear horror stories with these Peugeot 407's with people warning you to stay away, it will fall apart, it will break down etc etc etc. The common faults like DPF goes wrong on all vehicle manufacturers. I wouldn't say the 407 is any more or less unreliable than a German car. And if you want to know just how unreliable German cars can be, just search for "BMW N47 Timing chain". A problem identified ~2004 yet BMW didn't care and cars from 2011+ still had issues... a 2000+ issue.

Last edited by BiGK; 13-03-17 at 06:26 PM.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 13-03-17, 08:04 PM   #4
Inactive User

hello BiGK

thanks for your time and your detailed reply.

just to confirm that the i spoke to the dealer and he said he will provide INA kit from euro car parts which consists of a cambelt, 2 x rollers, and tensioner but NO high pressure feul pump belt.

I sent him a pictrure of this gates kit and he said he will price that up and get back to me.

I,m not sure if gates or Ina are decent makes? any thoughts or recommendations on this please?

also i,m trying to get this to be included in the 3600 price tag.

i,m also checking to see if that pollen filter has been done but i will certainly have this included in the service, i suffer from asthma and acute proncitis so this is a must. is there a decent make that can be recommended for this as i defnitly do not want cheap one that lets in fumes etc?

I have included service book stamps, so hoping that DPF and DPF fluid is in good shape.

shouldnt the suspension knocks and roll bar drop links would get picked up on MOT? but will certainly keep my ears open.

No probs i'll check and see for tyre wear but after all this time i think wheel allignment for 60 is worth looking into.

Tyre wise i think decent all 4 tyres is a must plus couple of the wheels may need refurbing i'll post the pics.

Here are the tyres i,m looking at:

4X New 235 45 18 MAXXIS HP5 98W 235/45R18 235 45 18 *A WET GRIP* MID RANGE TYRES - 235

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 XL 98Y A-Wet Grip - 350

happy to hear your Tyre make recommendations!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
232.jpg   dscf4149.jpg   dscf4151.jpg  
Old 13-03-17, 08:05 PM   #5
Inactive User

here are pics of the the wheels
Attached Thumbnails
dscf4080.jpg   dscf4081.jpg   dscf4082.jpg   dscf4083.jpg  
Old 13-03-17, 09:06 PM   #6

I am not sure, INA will most likely be acceptable so I can't really comment.

For 3600, you should get a full service incl. all belts (heck, I reckon you should stretch him for an auxiliary belt too, another 10 and as it comes off in the service, he might as well).

If you suffer from acute bronchitis, I would definitely recommend the one I installed, a Mann Frecious Plus if it fits - 407's use 2 different types but the frecious plus is only in one size, hopefully it will fit yours. I am not aware of knowing which one yours will have. As it is a later 407, it's most likely the same as mine I am guessing.

Yes the suspension can be picked up in the MOT but not always. It just depends if the wear and tear is noticeable at the time of the test. This is just a normal check on any used vehicle however these 407 coupe's are generally not owned by how shall I put it, people who abuse their cars, so generally should be fine lol

Tyres are essential. Go for the Uniroyal Rainsport's over the Maxxis. Maxxis aren't a great brand. Sure the tyre label both are A rated however that doesn't tell you how hard you can corner in the rain, or how progressive the tyres are when losing control etc...and that's even more important!
Whilst I haven't used Uniroyal Rainsport's, those are the tyres I would have gone with if I didn't get the bargain of a century on some Michelin's.

The wheels aren't in the best of condition, use it as a bartering tool to lower the price but personally I would leave the wheels, just minor scrapes which happens. It just looks like superficial damage, nothing problematic.
Old 13-03-17, 09:24 PM   #7

Forgot to add - Check the condition of the discs, if there's a decent lip on the edge, budget around 200 for the fronts!! (Front discs are huge...but wow...do those work really really well!)
Old 13-03-17, 09:54 PM   #8
Inactive User

thanks mate much appreciated

i'll ask him to throw in the auxilary belts anda full service (oil, oil filter and air filter).

also i think he may charge me for this filter but i think this is the one that will fit:

Filter, interior air Activated carbon filter with polyphenol, with antibacterial action, with fungicidal effect, Particulate filter (PM 2.5) MANN-FILTER
Article №: FP 2742 Manufacturer: MANN-FILTER - 19.76

i have asked about the discs and breaks and the answer was Disc and pads look fine all the way round with plenty of life in them.

i,m plannign aviewing on sat, its about 2.5HRs drive from london to the midlands to see this.
Old 14-03-17, 08:08 PM   #9
Inactive User

hi all

i got an email about the dealer sayiing that "our parts company only know of a injector pump kit i presume thats the same as a high pressure feul pump kit?"

is this the case?

i told him i want the following done part of the cambelt service:

- 1x cambelt
- 1x Aux belt
- 1x high pressure fuel pump belt
- 4x pullies and tensioners

thanks
Old 14-03-17, 10:36 PM   #10

Yep, Injector pump & High Pressure Pump is a different name for the same thing. To be honest, if a car dealer doesn't know what the difference between an injection pump and high pressure pump is, that throws up a red flag for me, those names are common across ALL diesels from around 2005 onwards.

You see, how well can he describe a car if all he sees is "it has 4 black circle things".

So from now on, don't take his word for anything, check it out for yourself and do take your time.

Yep those are the bits that need replacing for a cambelt. The waterpump has been done recently (which surprisingly, is ran off the auxiliary belt but requires most of the cambelt to take off? :-/

The previous owner just didn't get on with the car, running costs were a bit much or it has a fault. It's a big car and the natural seating position is quite far back, so it's not for everyone, that could be the reason for selling the car so quickly.

A car of that year, definitely check the heaters. Put the temperature all the way HOT on both sides, does the vents on drivers side and passenger side blow hot air? Now put it on cold, does it go cold on both?

Heater flaps are a very common fault.

That's the filter I have and even if it costs you money, it's well worth it in my opinion. The problem with filters is the manufacturers never state efficiency or micron filtration... atleast this one gives an indication and for your sake, i would replace it every year. Health is important!
reima likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in