AC working on and off, now not at all - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-18, 07:19 PM   #1

Default AC working on and off, now not at all

Hey folks, bit of a strange issue here.

The condenser on my 2.2 407 developed major leaks so was replaced and the system was recharged. The guy did a leak teak before and after the recharge and ran the system for a while after. All worked fine. Then a few days later, I noticed the AC wasn't switching on (No audible click from the condenser). Sometimes the compressor would click on and immediately off. Most of the time, turning the car off then on again usually sorted it and the AC would be gloriously cold. This has been like this for the past week and a half. Yesterday, the AC was behaving fine no issues with it at all.

Today, it refuses to work at all. Fan still turns on as it should. The compressor clutch just isn't engaging.

Had the cabin temp sensor out and cleaned it, brother checked it with the multimeter and it registers changes in temp properly.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Last edited by Blue407; 01-07-18 at 08:48 PM.
Blue407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-18, 08:29 PM   #2

Check gas pressures, it might have a leak.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-18, 08:33 PM   #3

I thought that too, pressure is fine and holding

Old 02-07-18, 05:27 PM   #4

OK, now I am confused.

Today while sitting in pretty bad traffic, the AC kicked in and stayed on for the remainder of the 30 minute journey.

And the same thing mostly, on the way home. Start the car, no AC, 5 minutes in to the way home, AC comes on. It goes on and off a few times, but spent more time on than off.

This car is mocking me!
Old 02-07-18, 08:52 PM   #5

Is the cooling fan running on low speed with A/C on.

If not the system maybe overheating and overpressuring which will disable Compressor until pressure drops or maybe the system was overfilled.

If you have access to planet check parameters it should give status of system over/under pressure etc
Old 02-07-18, 09:43 PM   #6

The fan runs at two speeds it seems. High when the Compressor is not activating, but once the compressor is running, the fan seems to alternate in speed.

I have someone close with PP2K. Will get it plugged in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18-07-18, 10:31 AM   #7

Default Update:

Gah, 2 weeks of problem free operation, now the AC refuses to turn on again. The front fan also instantly turns on to full when I start the car and remains on till I turn the car off.
Something is telling the AC compressor not to turn on, seemingly randomly.

I just don't get it. It'll work for a while, then refuse to, then starts working again, then refuses to again, then back to normal. The intervals are random.

More often than not though, on extremely hot day (25 degrees plus)the AC will refuse to work at all, unless already running when the temperature rises that high. For example when I drove to Pudsey, it was 21 degrees in Scotland as I set out, AC worked fine for the entire journey, including when I reached Pudsey and the external temp said 29/30 degrees. But the next day, when I started the car, outside temp was 29 degrees and the AC refused to work. The day after it worked intermittently with an outside temp of 28 to 30. Then on the way home, it turned on after 5 mins of driving and remained on for the journey up the M6.

There seems to be no logic to it!

Last edited by Blue407; 18-07-18 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in