Peugeot Forums banner

ac compressor failed

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  pete407sw 
#1 ·
Hello all,
cooling failed on my PEg 407, 2007 year, 2.0L petrol ( not coolin as it used to) and i took it for re gas. The guy hooked up his machine and told me the compressor has failed noticing from the Low pressure circuit. He said it is developing enough suction. He did the re gasing anyway and from that point on, i dont even hear the compressor kicking in when switched on. He did not charge me for the gas though. Is there any special procedure that should be carried out after re-gasing to activate the compressor?
i am planning to buy a used one since the new it too expensive.... :(

#2 ·
Mine failed on the way back from Hastings, loads of smoke near the tunnel on M25!, clutch burnt out. Fitted a new on that weekend but waiting for a mate (commercial a/c engineer) to get some gas. I know the compressor clutch is opperating though by testing with pp2000. I'll let you know how it is when re gased (about 2 weeks), Neil

#3 ·
AC compressor not working

hello guys,
I just want to clear my doubts. My AC compressor does not kick in ( i dont hear the click noise when switched on first time with the engine running). I checked and found that there is 12V to the clutch circuit(input side). Can there be any other means wherein it will prevent the compressor from kicking in?lik ethe auto control valve on the compressor. I am just asking because a mechanic told me that other things can be a problem and not just the clutch. Well i dont trust him, since it is all mechanical when it comes to the clutch part. I mean the moment the ac is switched on, I should at least hear the click noise and see the core of compressor pulley turning. None of that is happening and besides there is 12V at the clutch input when the ac is switched on.
Please advice if i can just replace the clutch without removing the compressor from the engine.

#6 ·
hello guys,
I just want to clear my doubts. My AC compressor does not kick in ( i dont hear the click noise when switched on first time with the engine running). I checked and found that there is 12V to the clutch circuit(input side). Can there be any other means wherein it will prevent the compressor from kicking in?lik ethe auto control valve on the compressor. I am just asking because a mechanic told me that other things can be a problem and not just the clutch. Well i dont trust him, since it is all mechanical when it comes to the clutch part. I mean the moment the ac is switched on, I should at least hear the click noise and see the core of compressor pulley turning. None of that is happening and besides there is 12V at the clutch input when the ac is switched on.
Please advice if i can just replace the clutch without removing the compressor from the engine.
It could be a leak in the condenser which would cause the compressor not to switch in. I know because I had mine recharged, next morning it stopped and a damp patch in the middle of the condenser obviously the guy who did the recharge did not test it. pete407sw:confused:

#4 ·
Sounds like its the clutch but they can be hard to get and you will probably need a puller to get it off. I would just find one in a breakers yard change the complete unit.
You would need to take it off the car really.

#7 ·
To Test the A/C Compressor you can begin with (A/C Switch on);

1. Pressure switch, Try to connect the cable directly by disconnecting the plug and direct connect the two cable in the socket cable.
2. If the Compressor kick in than the Pressure Switch must be worn out. If the Compressor still not kick in than the Clutch must be obsolete.

#9 ·
407 a/c clutch replacement

Thanks for replies.
I had the presure checked and this was good. I also connected / jumped the compressor clutch plug straight from the battery to give it 12v but I didn't engage.
Hed the gas removed so I can take compressor of if necessary but hope to do it while still on.
Can't find any info on replacing the clutch, has anyone got any pointer or links? Cheers

#12 ·
a/c compressor

Hi m crawford Ive been looking on youtube and found a guy who said you may be able on the car by undoing the mounting bolts and leave the pipes connected, you can check it out at: How to diagnose and replace,coil.clutch,and bearing. his handle is ratchetsandwrenches on youtube. Hope this helps pete407sw.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.