ac bearing part number? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-18, 06:09 PM   #1

Default ac bearing part number?

So my ac is making a terrible racket. I loosened the belt and gave the pulley a whirl, and sure enough it's grating.

Anyone know the bearing part number for the ac compressor?

And, any tips on how to remove the bolt that holds the pulley and clutch assembly on? It spins independent to the pulley.. with the engine off and the clutch disengaged and all that.. I'm pretty sure there's a tool that fits it, with three pins, that holds it in place while you loosen it, but I don't have one.

The thought crossed my mind to put a spanner on the bolt and start up the engine, and then engage the ac, but I'm not sure I've the balls to do it!

The noise started the day after I drove through a flood, which I later realised was saltwater (doh!), so I'm guessing it's a bit corroded. If I can get it off, I might even be able to flush out the bearing and grease it up or something. Or maybe that'd be pointless, don't know yet.
Advertisement

Old 04-05-18, 07:36 PM   #2

You cannot buy the bearing or the pulley only the whole compressor !!
Old 04-05-18, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
You cannot buy the bearing or the pulley only the whole compressor !!
It seems you can get the clutch and the pulley assemble alright (6453PY, 6453PZ) but they're few and far between, except from Peugeot of course but they're charging 475 for the clutch (lol).

It's a balls having to replace the compressor, it'd mean refilling the lines again and all. I might just take a run to the scrapyard (or the bearing shop) if I can get the pulley off.

Old 05-05-18, 07:18 PM   #4

I got the pulley off today. Bearing number is 35bd5220dum1, by NSK, if anybody is ever looking for one.
My bearing actually seems to be OK, except for the noise. Plenty rust in there but there's no play in it yet, might have caught it in time. I'll flush it out with wd40 and lube it up and see how it goes. Might last another while. Otherwise I'll just get new bearing.
Old 05-05-18, 10:01 PM   #5

When i said you cannot get the bearing i meant from peugeot we got 1 from a bearing supplier but its easier just to swap the drive for a quiet one.

When we needed 1 the first time peugeot ONLY listed the whole pump assembly and im sure you will find the number you quoted is for the WHOLE pump
gijoe50000 likes this.
Old 05-05-18, 10:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
When i said you cannot get the bearing i meant from peugeot we got 1 from a bearing supplier but its easier just to swap the drive for a quiet one.

When we needed 1 the first time peugeot ONLY listed the whole pump assembly and im sure you will find the number you quoted is for the WHOLE pump
Ah, right, I was wondering alright! Was fairly sure the pulley would come off, like.. :-)

Yea, the number's probably for the whole compressor alright. All the other parts in the compressor diagram have a price of 0 when added to the order list. I suppose they just tagged the price for the whole lot onto a random part.

By "drive" do you mean the pulley and bearing? If mine doesn't quieten down when I put it back on I might just get them both if the price is right.. I do hate hammering bearings! (And I think I heard somewhere that it's possible to warp the pulley if you're not careful.)
Old 05-05-18, 10:56 PM   #7

When does the noise occur? when the clutch is freewheeling or when it is latched?

If it is when it is freewheeling, it is the bearing in the pulley. If it is when it is latched, it is the main bearing in the compressor which means compressor off..

I have done many pulley bearings. Most pulleys come off quite easily but some pulley bearings are peened into the pulley making it very difficult to extract them unless you have a decent press and work carefully with it so you dont distort the pulley.

If it is the bearing in the compressor itself, I seldom repair it as it is a lot of work, much easier to find a s/h unit.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-18, 11:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
When does the noise occur? when the clutch is freewheeling or when it is latched?

If it is when it is freewheeling, it is the bearing in the pulley. If it is when it is latched, it is the main bearing in the compressor which means compressor off..

I have done many pulley bearings. Most pulleys come off quite easily but some pulley bearings are peened into the pulley making it very difficult to extract them unless you have a decent press and work carefully with it so you dont distort the pulley.

If it is the bearing in the compressor itself, I seldom repair it as it is a lot of work, much easier to find a s/h unit.
Yea, it's just the pulley bearing alright. I was fairly sure before I removed it, as the noise was there whether the ac clutch was engaged or not, and when I removed the belt I could hear, and feel, the pulley grating.

I've cleaned and greased it now, (lots of rust (or/and rust coloured grease!) and a few slivers of steel came out) and I'll throw it back on in the morning and see how it goes. If it's still noisy I'll take a run to the scrapyard.
Old 08-05-18, 04:30 PM   #9

I'm a bit late to the party, but I would never put a rough bearing back on if I didn't have to. Any bearing supplier should be able to sell you a new bearing for a few Euros, or measure the old one and have a look on Ebay.
I did this when a bearing got noisy on an American car I owned, and saved myself around 60.

Roger.
Old 08-05-18, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
I'm a bit late to the party, but I would never put a rough bearing back on if I didn't have to. Any bearing supplier should be able to sell you a new bearing for a few Euros, or measure the old one and have a look on Ebay.
I did this when a bearing got noisy on an American car I owned, and saved myself around 60.

Roger.
Yea, it made f**k all difference! When I put it back in, cleaned and greased, etc, it was just as noisy..
It is running much freer now though, and at least I know it's not going to seize up any minute. I'll pick up a new one fairly soon though. They seem common enough. 10-20 on the ebays.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in