ABS Errors after new sensors help please !! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-13, 11:28 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default ABS Errors after new sensors help please !!

Hi,
I have a 54 plate 2.0hdi 407, after having abs/esr lights on constantly from start up i jacked up the car and noticed the car was not picking up any signals from the nsf & osr wheels, so i changed the sensors, the back went well however the front passenger had seized in and had to be drilled out, i had a good very good look down the hole and could not see any remains, i then installed the new sensor which even after a good clean out was very tight to install, i then started the car and all seemed well, however running it up to 10/15 mph and applying the brakes started to cause the problem, just braking gently feels like there was some thing intermittently pushing the pedal up or tapping on the pedal, almost like the abs was cutting in, so having a little run around for 5 mins and this continued until the abs/esr light flashed up and then the brakes felt fine again, now this repeats every time the car runs.....get in start up no abs lights, go for a drive and the feeling is there every time i brake until the abs/esr lights come on a again and the brakes are then fine, any help or ideas would be great please.
Mark.
marcoss101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-13, 12:07 PM   #2
davidireland

Default Re: ABS Errors after new sensors help please !!

What did the diagnostic show first time round?

Sent from my GT-S5570 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-13, 12:08 PM   #3
Inactive User

the pedal tapping IS the ABS, its a characteristic built in to inform you the system has been activated. - google abs if you are unsure of full characteristics and what it does.

When fitting the new sensors did you ensure the airgap between sensor and abs ring is 2mm. Any more and any less and the signal will be incorrect so the ABS ECU will throw a fit.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-13, 12:15 PM   #4
davidireland

Default Re: ABS Errors after new sensors help please !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_h View Post
the pedal tapping IS the ABS, its a characteristic built in to inform you the system has been activated. - google abs if you are unsure of full characteristics and what it does.

When fitting the new sensors did you ensure the airgap between sensor and abs ring is 2mm. Any more and any less and the signal will be incorrect so the ABS ECU will throw a fit.
The airgap won't be a problem as the sensor only goes in one way. There is no way of putting it in wrong (well!)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-03-13, 12:16 PM   #5
Inactive User

Hi and thanks for the replies, Unfortunately i did not do diagnostics first....hmmm
No i did not check the air gap, if it were to be out where would the adjustment be please?
Mark.

Last edited by davidireland; 03-03-13 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 12:18 PM   #6
CAB

Did you catch magnetic ring when drilling old sensor out?

Case of that on here recently!
Old 03-03-13, 12:20 PM   #7
Inactive User

The sensor was very tight to install, i did clean up the bore before install but it was still tight, like you mention there is only one way to fit it.
Thanks.
Old 03-03-13, 12:22 PM   #8
Inactive User

Thanks CAB, i thought the ring was tucked around the corner on the front, so when you look down the bore where the sensor fits you would only see the cv joint, and need to turn 90 degrees to hit it , like where the seal would be for the bearing.
Mark.
Old 03-03-13, 03:23 PM   #9
Inactive User

by airgap i mean where the sensor sits, especially on the 307 (not sure on 407) the mount corrodes and if you dont clean that it still messes with the airgap.

I had that loads on my old 307 before i decided to see how tough it was

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-13, 03:28 PM   #10
davidireland

Well to be honest you're wasting your time and money then just fitting sensors. It can be any of the four on the 407 as they give so much trouble.
You'd have narrowed it down at least to which one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in