About to buy a 407. Need some advice please? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-11, 08:12 AM   #1

Default About to buy a 407. Need some advice please?

Hi,
I am about to buy a 407 and I need some advice please?

It's a 2006 407 2.0 HDI SE 6 spd auto.

Dealer will fix most faults I found.

But the left rear lens is steamed up
and for some unknown reason, there are two holes in the carpet about 1foot away from the drivers pedals on each side of the drivers footwell, a bit like someone had bust the carpet and stuck a bit of 2x1 wood across the footwell to raise their feet up to reach the pedals.

Other than this, it has no service history or car user manual(I am getting a 6 month warranty for engine / gearbox/electrics) and the car will be bought from a main dealer.

I couldn't get the cruise control to turn on yesterday but it could be that I don't know how to do it, or the fact that the diesel pump symbol was on the screen hiding the cruise symbol.
Also to test is the A/C, I forgot to test that last night.

Is there anyway to find out on the internet if a car has had all the recalls already done?

Does anyone have any ideas about the rear lens, or the holes in the carpet?

Thanks for reading and replying.
myjess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-11, 09:43 AM   #2

If the car is bought from a main dealer they are supposed to be able to pull up and print out copies of any dealer service history.

Same with the recalls.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-11, 10:43 AM   #3
Inactive User

The two holes in the carpet are from the fixings for the mats which have obviously come away in this case but nothing to worry about.

If theres no service history then ask for the MOT number and go on the government mot history check website to confirm mileage is correct as no sevice history is common on a new car to hide the fact that the mileage has been changed. Ask me how i know this?
sebasteeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-11, 12:36 PM   #4

As in holes in the carpet do you mean in each corner left and right? I have 2 307's and both have it , its like the carpet isnt big enough and its stretched and split !
Old 09-06-11, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 307pugpete View Post
As in holes in the carpet do you mean in each corner left and right? I have 2 307's and both have it , its like the carpet isnt big enough and its stretched and split !
Ha ha, mine is also showing signs of wear on the inside bit!
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-11, 03:53 PM   #6
chopper1192

My 2 tips for happy 407 ownership:

1) Get a professional AA opr RAC inspection. It's a big, complex car and it'd be foolish to buy such a machine without proper knowledge of the state of its oily bits and undersides.

2) It's a big, complex car. Expect that if it does one day break to have correspondingly big, complex repair bills.

Some people ignore points 1 and 2, and spend the rest of their adult life on here moaning how it's everyone's fault but theirs. However, buy wisely and they are decent cars, nice to drive and currently holding their value pretty well, so do it right and you'll have a good experience.

Good luck.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-11, 09:34 AM   #7

I just got the mileage history for this car. 21000 miles approx in 2008 when it was sold by a Peugeot garage.
49637 when it was MOT'd last year.
62000 on the clock now.
Holes in the carpet, could they be for Taxi radio cables?
Old 10-06-11, 12:01 PM   #8

i can tell you from a taxi drver we never go through carpet for anything , unless a fire extinguisher was screwed down , but they would be small holes , i would guess the holes if they are the size of a 2p would be the original clips for the mat holders that are missing.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-11, 12:24 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjess View Post
Holes in the carpet, could they be for Taxi radio cables?
I thought i answered this earlier?
sebasteeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-11, 07:03 AM   #10

I don't think the holes are for mat clips, unless there are mat clips half way down the driver footwell at each side.

Had a knocking on the left rear passenger side which was not the spare wheel or the exhaust, so the garage is going to look at that for me, and deliver the car on Tuesday.
I do want to drive it though, so would just love to drive back up there again, and drive the 407 down, but it is costing a fortune in Diesel with a 150mile roundtrip each time. I reckon that's 20 a time, given that my old rover 75 does 50mpg on the long run normal driving on motorways etc. I suppose I could drive the old girl real easy, I got 61.4mpg recorded on my phone camera once driving the same road.

Anyway, thanks for all who replied and are maybe thinking of replying(go on,, you know you want to)

Last edited by myjess; 12-06-11 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in