56 Reg 407 Turbo not kicking in - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-10-11, 07:01 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 56 Reg 407 Turbo not kicking in

Hi All,
I have a 56 plate 407 (2.0 HDI, SE model) with around 76k miles. THe turbo cut out the other day and now won't kick in when it should; no warning lights or messages.
It's still driveable, but it just lacks any power or pull and struggles going up a motorway/dual carriageway hill and very occasionally makes a grinding noise, similar to what you would hear if you touched the fan belt with something while it was moving.

Does anyone have any ideas? the car is soon due a service so I could get this looked at the same time, but I'd like an idea of potential causes/solutions and how long the car is safe to drive for (as the service is due next month and I'd like to wait until then if possible!!)

Many thanks
Sam
ItalianJob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-10-11, 07:09 PM   #2

Sounds if the insides have broken up , this sometimes does not put the warning lights on .
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-10-11, 07:18 PM   #3
Inactive User

to check the turbo undo the rubber hose which is held on by a jubilee clip, all you need is a flat head screwdriver. You can see the impellor, put a screwdriver against the impellor and try to spin it, if it spins with no other movement the turbo is ok, if it moves up/down/right/left the turbo is dead.
Another thing to check is all the hoses to and from the turbo to make sure there are no breaks/holes etc.
dale2321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-10-11, 07:25 PM   #4
Inactive User

if the turbo is dead do not drive it. I am in the middle of trying to repair a hdi with a blown turbo. The metal shards from the collapsed tubro get everywhere. Do not drive, replace and ensure everything is cleaned out properly such as turbo oil feed and return pipes and sump pick up.

how many miles has it done? has it been serviced and by who?
Old 23-10-11, 07:30 PM   #5
jmkent

Its easier said than done though to get to the turbos on these 2.0 HDI engines.... I know where mine is, but I can't see it, not without the use of a ramp anyhow.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-10-11, 07:32 PM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks - i'll check it later on or in the morning. Assuming the turbo hasn't collapsed I presume it should be ok to drive?
And if it is goosed, what kind of repair bill am I looking at?
Car has fsh from independent garage; but I don't know anything about them as it was before I owned the car.

Sam
Old 23-10-11, 07:35 PM   #7
jmkent

Its very low mileage for a turbo to go. Others have posted on here before that for the turbo to go must mean there is something wrong with the engine, so to replace the turbo may only mean it goes again if the root cause is not found first.

Cue David
Old 23-10-11, 08:01 PM   #8
Inactive User

if you want a new turbo you can probably expect to pay about 1000 supplied and fitted at a main dealer.
If you are able to change it yourself you can get the part for around 100 on ebay second hand. But there are no guarentees with a second hand part. Make sure the oil feed and return pipes are properly cleaned or better still replaced ( about 60 supplied from Peugeot)
Old 23-10-11, 08:04 PM   #9
Inactive User

Thanks for all the info - could it be anything other than turbo failure? Is it worth getting a diagnostics test done?
Old 23-10-11, 08:08 PM   #10
jmkent

Will it still rev properly, or is it maxing at 3,000rpm?
Possibility something has put it into 'limp mode'.
Add your location to your profile, and someone maybe able to help you with a diagnostic (and be far cheaper than a garage doing it too )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in