407SW going on the ramp tomorrow.... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-14, 10:54 PM   #1

Default 407SW going on the ramp tomorrow....

So I have finally got the time, parts, tools, and access to a ramp tomorrow morning and going to put a few things right on the car, but had a question about one of them....

Had the intermittent (now pretty much permanent) ABS/ESR fault for a good few weeks now, and I've downloaded the instructions from here on how to remove the rust etc to sort it. I was wondering if it's worth putting a coat of primer or something on after I remove all the rust, but before putting the sensor back in to prevent (or slow down) a recurrence or will this cause an issue (or be utterly ineffective).

Also got me a set of Ring DRL's to fit, going to do my damnedest to get them into the "air intakes" on the Irmscher front splitters - other wise they aren't going on - really don't like the look of the cars all over the road with aftermarket DRLs in the radiator grilles.

Third, FINALLY going to fit the AUX in kit I bought from someone on here MONTHS and MONTHS ago.

Last job will be rotating the tyres, and getting the steel wheel off which has been on since the valve failed on Dec 23rd - has taken until yesterday for the valve repair kit to arrive from fleabay).

If I have time, I might put a bit of black paint on the calipers while all the wheels are off, but definitely not a priority heh.

Nowhere near due a service but going to have a decent look at the ball joints while it's in the air.

Anything else you guys think I should check while I have the chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-14, 06:40 AM   #2

I stripped down all of the hubs on my blue 407 when I did the ABS sensor on the front, de rusted and tidied them up (I have rust ocd, any screws/bolts/anything! that is rusty gets removed and cleaned up and painted). Then put on a coat of zinc primer and some black hammerite. I used spray cans for that job though. Didn't fancy slopping crap loads of paint on to stuff where there was a possibility of anything causing a clearance issue. I did however use normal paint on silver hammerite on the calipers and disc hubs.
As for bodged on lights/anything else. I agree with you, just no, if it doesn't look like it came from the factory I wouldn't be having it.
Old 04-01-14, 11:31 AM   #3
Inactive User

Looking forward to seeing the DRL"s on the front spoiler, should look excellent!

What way you plan to wire them up? you know what Pug electrics can be like!!
Cliff Mc Ilwee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-14, 12:26 PM   #4

what about using copperslip on the antilock sensors?
neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-14, 06:03 PM   #5

Well things didn't all go as planned unfortunately - got the rear ABS rings all clean but it didn't fix it - moved onto the front and the rings are blatently rusty and I have no idea how the hell to get to them, they appear to be inside the hub. Got them as clean as I could (which was pretty clean) but there is a pretty big gap between the ring and sensor on the offside, and it looks like there's a chip or chunk out of the sensor. When I get the chance, I'll stick the Diagbox computer on and see if it comes up with a specific fault :S

Got the tyres rotated, didn't bother painting the calipers, and got the DRL's fitted and they look, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic. The RING drl's I got are dual brightness, and the wiring was simple enough - direct connection to the + and - on the battery, and then a signal wire gets crimped onto the sidelight bulb wiring to dim them when the lights are on. Didn't bring up any problems so I'm happy.

Also put a set of heavy rubber mats in, in preparation for the coming snow/salt etc, and got the Aux input kit fitted. That was a pain in the butt as the wiring called for me to put the earth into a pin which was already in use - ended up just pulling the old wire out (along with its partner) and everything worked - I realised afterwards that the two cables were probably related to the crappy sat nav I buried away when I first got the car.

Pics aren't the best as it was closing on 4pm by the time we got done....
Attached Thumbnails
drl1.jpg   drl2.jpg   drl3.jpg   drl4.jpg   drl5.jpg  

Old 05-01-14, 08:52 AM   #6
Inactive User

Those DRL"s in the front spoiler look the bizz, well done.....front end looks as well...if not better than any Audi / Beamer....

Cliff
Cliff Mc Ilwee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-14, 01:00 PM   #7
Inactive User

Dayum, I have to get me some of those irmscher splitters car looks the biz mate
Old 05-01-14, 03:27 PM   #8

Got a chance to take a better picture today when the sun was kinda sorta thinking about being out :s

Thanks for the comments guys - have to say they look WAY better than I thought they would and I'd go as far as to say they look utterly stock - really no sign of aftermarket (unless you open the bonnet lol).

Now to make up my mind once and for all about an SP Grille - I know trem hates the bloody things heh, and I don't blame him to an extent - the silver ones look really pants (in my opinion) on darker cars - but I'm sure I've seen black ones which MIGHT just finish the nose off nicely...
Attached Thumbnails
drls.jpg  

Last edited by BigSlavey; 05-01-14 at 03:39 PM.
BigSlavey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-14, 05:09 PM   #9
Inactive User

Oi! what was that about silver SP grills on dark cars

You can go off people y'know
Old 05-01-14, 05:45 PM   #10

He said they look shite

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sasha94 and COLINELLIS like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in