407sw buckled tailgate - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-18, 09:15 AM   #1

Unhappy 407sw buckled tailgate

Hi guys
I've not been around here for a while due to ill-health, but I've got a real problem (entirely of my own doing!) with the tailgate on my 2007 407sw. Last week, returning from a shopping trip, I drove into my garage, opened the tailgate and unloaded the shopping. Then I went for a cup of tea. Afterwards, I needed to reverse the car back out of the garage, but failed to notice I'd forgotten to close the tailgate. The garage doorway is quite low and has a concrete lintel above it. You can guess the rest.
Actually, on first glance there appeared no real damage, but when it wouldn't close I realised it had been bent inwards very slightly and the locking catch was no longer engaging, missing the bar it was supposed to engage with by about a centimeter. I tried getting inside and using my feet to force it back into position but it wouldn't budge.
I think my only option is a garage repair, but I'm guessing they'll just say it needs a new tailgate at an exorbitant price. If I were thirty years younger I'd have a go at fitting a s/h one from a scrappy, but that's beyond my capabilities these days.
I just wondered if anyone else had a similar happening, (I've proved it's easily done!) and could share their experience of sorting it?
capelyddol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-18, 11:11 AM   #2

Hi....you could try and place a bit of wood in the top of the door where the door closes and gently close the taigate onto the wood and lean on it gently...it wont need much....i used the same method om doors the had been caught by the wind,,gl
trem1 likes this.
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-18, 11:44 AM   #3

That would be a great idea. Unfortunately, the bottom of the tailgate is bent inwards and needs forcing out. It's much more difficult to get any leverage on it in that direction.

Old 11-03-18, 12:18 PM   #4

Ok...piece of wood to stop the door closing at the bottom and lean on the middle of the door....
Old 11-03-18, 06:06 PM   #5

Think a photo would help in this case so we can see where its bent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-18, 09:34 PM   #6

There's not much to see. At first glance the tailgate looks fine. It took me a while to figure out why it wouldn't close, and where the damage appeared to be. I'll try and get some relevant images tomorrow and upload them.
Old 14-03-18, 09:42 AM   #7

Sorry to have been a while getting back. I've been talking to Peugeot and their advice has been not to try and reshape the tailgate as it's almost impossible given the strengthening struts on the door and would never seal again properly. I've also spoken to my insurance and I'm covered for a replacement door, all bar the policy excess, so I've decided to take that route.
Many thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'm now waiting for a quote from Peugeot to pass on to the insurance. When I see it I think I'll be very happy it's not me paying the bill!!!
Old 14-03-18, 01:08 PM   #8

I suspect they may write your car off for this!!!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-03-18, 02:51 PM   #9

Hi...you say its missing the lock by about a 1/16th of an inch....down the sides of the door are 2 adjustable stops...screw those in a bit....or pop round for some independant advise.....(dealers...PAHH...)Talk about looking for work...
Old 14-03-18, 03:40 PM   #10

I wish it were just 1/16th inch! No, the lock is coming down a good 3/4 inch in front of the metal retaining loop and striking the metal strip that runs across the back of the boot. I agree with you about dealers. I live in France and they're no better here than in the UK. If they do try and write it off I'll tell them to get stuffed and find a small, independent garage that find a s/h one for me and fit it. I'd prefer new, though, as the car's only done 100,000 kms from new and is immaculate. It's a top-of-the-range car with every possible extra so I've no intention of giving it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in