407 Won't start after head De-coke - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-09-16, 08:14 AM   #1

Default 407 Won't start after head De-coke

Hi All

Some of you may remember me posting my woe's relating to my 1.6 HDi 55 plate 407, it wouldn't rev over 1500 rpm, loads of black smoke/soot out of the exhaust.... blah blah blah.

Well, it's been sat in the back yard for almost a year and I decided to have another go at it.

After looking at live data (In Graph form) and using a boroscope, the live data indicated an airflow issue and the boroscope identified carbon build up on the inlet valves. Soooo, off with its head.

Removed the head and had to use a rubber hammer to tap the exhaust valves out as they were tight, I had a friend take it into his work to de-coke it and give it a damn good clean, the valves were also cleaned along with all other components associated with the internal workings of the head, it was also discovered that the 2 cams were not timed correctly, they were 1 tooth out!!!!!! not sure how that happened.

Anyway!! the head was put back on the car and everything reconnected and plugged in.

Now......... with great expectations I turned the key and it spun...and spun....and spun.......and spun, not totally unexpected due to everything that had been done to it so we tried again and it spun.......and spun.......... it tried to start.........then spun.....and spun.......and spun. We left it for a while and tried again and it spun...........You get the idea

So we hooked up the tow bar and thought we would try and bump it whilst towing it, pulled it down the road and it SSSSSsssppppppppuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnn for a good few hundred yards, More than once but still would not start.

Plugged PP in and no fault codes (Initially there was but these were cleared and have not returned) live data shows fuel pressure to be good, air flow to be good, basically, Everything appears good.

SO, What do I do next????

Just as a side note, whilst the head was off I poured a little diesel in each cylinder and left it in overnight. Upon checking the next morning, Cylinders 2, 3 and 4 were empty, Cylinder 1 still had some in. Could this be an indication that the rings/cylinder walls are worn?

I have ordered a Cylinder compression tester for diesel's which should be with me after the weekend and will report back with the results.

It is work doing a leak off test of the injectors?

Any tips or clues would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nelix
2011 4007 2.2HDi
Nelix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-09-16, 08:17 AM   #2

Key codes lost
Old 23-09-16, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Key codes lost
Now there's something I have not checked.

I also don't remember hearing the chime at any time yesterday to inform me that the key was in the ignition, not sure if that only happens 'After' turning the engine off but as it won't start it might not chime..... I believe "Trustme" will put me right on that one.

Keep them coming.

I'm at work today but will have another check when I get home).

Thanks
2011 4007 2.2HDi

Old 23-09-16, 10:03 AM   #4

After trying to start turn ignition off leave key in open door does it beep
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-09-16, 03:55 PM   #5

Just a quick update, I tried the key but the battery in the key was dead so would not sync up, got a new battery and managed to sync the key so it beeps now when left in the ignition, tried to start it but the car battery was too flat so I've currently got it on charge and will report back tomorrow once it's had a good charge.

Not much of an update, but an update non the less
2011 4007 2.2HDi
Old 26-09-16, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelix View Post
Just a quick update, I tried the key but the battery in the key was dead so would not sync up, got a new battery and managed to sync the key so it beeps now when left in the ignition, tried to start it but the car battery was too flat so I've currently got it on charge and will report back tomorrow once it's had a good charge.

Not much of an update, but an update non the less
the key battery would not stop it from beeping or starting as that is only needed for the remote

you may have synced the key so the remote locking works but thats all the syncing procedure does
Old 26-09-16, 04:46 PM   #7

I know the key battery would not stop it starting but I thought it would be needed to sync the key.

The main thing is that I now know that the key has not lost its code, I just need to try and start it with a good battery now
2011 4007 2.2HDi
Old 26-09-16, 08:43 PM   #8

Definitely worth doing the compression test. That diesel must have drained somewhere?
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-09-16, 10:15 PM   #9

Paid for a Diesel engine compression tester and it doesn't have an M8 connector for the pug engine

Anyone know why I can get one?
2011 4007 2.2HDi
Old 27-09-16, 07:40 AM   #10

Dont bother checking compression as it will be low anyway and you will then think the engine is duff

It will be low because its cold and it will be low because its not run for so long

Go back on planet got to parameters 1 post up the cranking readings you see let us see what your getting

Also check ecu status in parameters to be SURE the ecu is unlocking.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in