407 SW 1.6 HDI - Fuel System Layout - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-16, 06:41 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 407 SW 1.6 HDI - Fuel System Layout

Hi folks,

Anyone happen to have a good schematic of the fuel system showing relative positions of parts? e.g. Sender to HP Pump to Filter to Common Rail to Injectors, if that happens to be the right order?

Car won't start and the fuel supply is suspect. Possibly needing bled.

We were trying to progress logically along the system. In the picture attached, am I right in thinking that the two pipes with white and green connectors are the fuel send and return respectively from the LP / sender? We took the white one off and cranked the car and got no fuel out. We then took the white connector off the top of the sender and cranked again and got no fuel out of the LP / sender. This is suggesting that the low pressure lift pump might not be delivering to the engine.

Anyone see any flaw in our thinking, just in case a more experienced eye points out anything obvious if you know the hardware?

Cheers,
Ally

Last edited by allybarrie; 03-12-16 at 09:51 PM.
allybarrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-16, 06:42 PM   #2
Inactive User

Picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
img_0564.jpg  
Old 03-12-16, 11:33 PM   #3

You are correct that these are the fuel send and return pipes.
There won't be any fuel coming out of them however as the fuel is sucked up by the high pressure pump on the engine.
There is no lifter pump in the tank hence you have a primer bulb (the rectangular item at the bottom of your picture).
ashdav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-16, 12:17 AM   #4

Put the pipes back on and don't mess with things that you know nothing about

Then squeeze the primer bulb until it gets hard of it does not get hard after lots of squeezes then you may have a leak on the fuel system letting air in
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-16, 08:46 AM   #5
Inactive User

Ash, thanks for your constructive input. Having tried to pump the primer and apparently not being able to pressurise the system we suspected there was a leak. That was why we started from one end of the system for progressive elimination. However looking over the Haynes description it includes an LP lift pump which is quoted as in the sender unit, and quotes a separate HP pump. This would seem sensible to have an LP system to feed the HP system. I work on aircraft engines in the past and this is exactly what the LP system does. Is the Haynes manual wrong or am I missing some other detail? Perhaps you have either an LO pump or a primer but not both?

Trustme: all you've managed to do is assume the two folks who were working on the car 'know nothing' and suggest an apparent air leak which had already been stated. All I did was ask a system layout question. If you don't want to offer an answer, then fair enough but a lack of 407 specific knowledge is not the same as knowing nothing.

Last edited by allybarrie; 04-12-16 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Omission.
Old 04-12-16, 09:37 AM   #6

There is no lift pump if the car has a primer so IF you have no fuel in the primer it wont start.

Haynes think every car is the same its not only some have lift pumps mainly bosch systems but later bosch systems no longer needed it.

If you really have a fuel feed issue then its most likely something to do with the pipework on the engine where it goes under the air filter housing.
Old 04-12-16, 09:47 AM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks reliable. Nice clear answer. Much obliged.
Old 12-12-16, 07:18 PM   #8

Basically all the rubber lines are the low pressure system: primer, filter, return lines.. and all the metal lines are the high pressure system: fuel pump -> injectors, pressure sensor. That's the way I think of it anyway.

I recently had what I thought was a fuel line leak (not starting and floppy primer) but it turned out to be a faulty fuel regulator (it sends the fuel to either the high pressure line, or back into the low pressure loop).

In my case the regulator was sticking so all the fuel was just going from the fuel pump, back around the low pressure loop again, and it was leaking too, hence the floppy primer.

I'm still fairly new here so don't take my word as gospel, but it's the way I understand it.
Old 12-12-16, 08:20 PM   #9
Inactive User

Full marks GI Joe. Take a bow sir.

I have had the car in a garage as I am maxed out on time with work. It's ready now. The garage found a stuck HP fuel solenoid. Using a high pressure adapter they pumped diesel back and forward and freed it off. Oh and to add insult to injury, three out of four glow plugs were gone too!
Old 12-12-16, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allybarrie View Post
Full marks GI Joe. Take a bow sir.

I have had the car in a garage as I am maxed out on time with work. It's ready now. The garage found a stuck HP fuel solenoid. Using a high pressure adapter they pumped diesel back and forward and freed it off. Oh and to add insult to injury, three out of four glow plugs were gone too!
Nice one! :-)
I'd say keep an eye on it though. Mine would stick, and then unstick randomly in a few days. Or if I bump started it, sometimes, sometimes not. It would run fine for a while, then stick again when the revs got low (when pin in the regulator was retracted).

As I said, mine was leaking too, through the center of the regulator and back up to the power connector. If it starts happening again I'd say to replace it. They're about 50 on ebay and an easy fix.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in