407 rear lights warning fix? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-19, 06:18 PM   #1

Default 407 rear lights warning fix?

Hey guys,

my 407 is showing indicator fault when breaking and break fault when indicating. I've seen theres a fix on the forums but every one ive looked at the link to the fix seems to be gone, is it possible someone still has this and can send it to me please?

the beeping is slowly driving me crazy so would like to get this sorted asap!

Thanks all!
Rexi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-19, 09:47 PM   #2

407 cars often have this kind of problem caused by the earth pin on the rear light multy plug connector not being up to the job.
The solution is to fit an auxiliary earth lead from the frame of the rear light cluster to an earth point inside the boot on both sides of the car. I soldered mine to the frame and soldered a ring connector on the other end to fit under the nut on the earth piont inside the car.
There are removable panels on the boot lining behind which you will find the fastenings for the light clusters. Unplug the multy plug connector and withdraw the light cluster; be careful not to let it fall.
If you do not have a soldering iron you can crimp a ring connector on each end of the auxiliary earth wire and drill a hole in the cluster frame to fit that end with a self tapping screw.
Use a fairly thick wire. It has to carry the current of side lights, brake lights and flashers which may all be on at the same time.
An hour should see the job done. Good luck.
Reiver.
trem1 likes this.
Reiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-19, 12:19 PM   #3

thats great thank you!
Would you happen to have a picture of some kind of refrence to where the earth point is in the boot or how you have done this? I've not done much electrical work to a car before, some motorbikes and other small projects so would be good to get a reference point if at all possible!

Old 02-06-19, 10:22 PM   #4

I am sorry for the lack of photos but I am better with cars than I am with computers. I started in 1962 with a 1937 Austin 10 and have tried to keep up to date. I changed the cambelt on my 407 a couple of years ago so if a 70+ year old can manage that I am sure you will win with your problem.
I did this modification on my car some years ago before the problem arose because I learned about it on another forum.
Most mechanical expertise is based on observation and, if you bear that in mind, you will succeed.
Have a bash! You cannot miss the earth point as there are other earth wires already there. Sometimes this kind of problem is due to corrosion on the bulbs or the hole they fit into. If this is the case, scrape it off and protect the area with Waxoyl or WD40.
If the auxiliary earth does not work have a good look at the bulbs themselves. If you have a multimeter test the resistance of each one. If you do not have a meter buy one! A cheap one can be found for less than 10 and will serve for most jobs.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Reiver.
Old 03-06-19, 11:18 AM   #5

http://www.nwex.co.uk/downloads/peug...htbulbsold.pdf
trem1 and mooi1uk like this.
Old 03-06-19, 12:06 PM   #6

Fantastic thanks to you both!

Will get on to it next weekend when the wire is in, looks easier than I thought!
Old 04-06-19, 09:24 PM   #7

Lightbulb

I am pleased that you now have that link. I think that is is probably the one I read some time ago on which I based my modification.
I would only add that I think it unnecessary to try and open up the multiplug and disconnect the priginal earth pin.
Electricity will always take the easiest path. If you provide a robust auxiliary earth it will be just that.
Reiver.
trem1 and Gibbo like this.
Old 07-06-19, 12:14 PM   #8

Two hours of work as I am very much so a novice, triple checking everything I do and we have a winner!
Did have a scary moment when I checked the left side and the faults came up because I didnt connect the right side yet (duh!!) but after those few seconds of panic I feel rather proud, teach an old dog new tricks ey!

Thanks so much to you all for the help once again!
trem1 likes this.
Old 07-06-19, 08:54 PM   #9

Wink

That is excellent news.

If you keep the car you will soon be changing front wishbone joints, EGR valves and ABS sensors like the rest of us.

Reiver.
trem1 likes this.
Old 08-06-19, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
That is excellent news.

If you keep the car you will soon be changing front wishbone joints, EGR valves and ABS sensors like the rest of us.

Reiver.
I just blank the egr,saves all the hassles

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in