407 multiple problems - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-17, 08:37 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 407 multiple problems

I purchased a 2005 407 2.0HDI last September, it came with 10 months MOT and 113000 miles, the only things mentioned on the MOT certificate was corroded brake discs front and rear. I bought the car from a private seller. Three months after buying it a rear wheel bearing failed and was replaced with new discs and pads as well. Then the lower front offside suspension joint started to knock and was replaced along with new front discs and pads. My work at that point meant a short (5 mile) trip across town, one morning between 1500 and 2000 revs it would surge like you had kangaroo petrol. This disappeared below 1500 and above 2000 rpm, a couple of days later it happened again then every day until took it for a blast down the motorway. It has never happened again.
I have now changed jobs and my journey to work is 34 miles, 28 of which is on motorway and the rest on quietish main roads. My neighbour with a 2.0 HDI C5 is getting 50mpg+
I now occasionally get a much milder surging only noticeable in 5th or 6th gear on the motorway, this happens around 2500 rpm.
I have no warning lights on the dash, the car was serviced and all filters changed 8000 miles ago, the fuel filter was replaced 2000 miles ago. The car has never achieved more than 38mpg which I thought was ok in across town driving but not on the motorway. I have never had any sign that the particulate filter was regenerating.
Have I bought a bottomless pit to throw money into or is there a simple solution to my problems? The only thing I have noticed is that the temperature gauge never reaches normal, I would guess it shows about 70c.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by forkliftphil; 08-03-17 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
forkliftphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-17, 02:42 AM   #2

You need to get it scanned using PP2000/Diagbox to find the existing logged faults. Note these down, then clear the faults, take it for a drive with the software still running so you can record live engine management data. Record this live data. When you get back, switch off, then re-check for faults that might have reappeared during the drive and note these down. Report them back here on the forum.

Check the site map for someone close to you who has the software, or buy a system for yourself.

Link to map.. https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...anet-map-7734/
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-17, 04:16 PM   #3

I've heard of diesel engines revving on their own when the oil is overfilled. Might be worth a look to make sure that's not the case. When I bought my 1.6hdi I had to remove about 1.5L of oil from it, there was also an empty 5L oil drum in the back, and it takes 3.5L, go figure... :-)
Besides that I'd recommend investing in a Lexia3 cable on ebay, well worth the money.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in