407 hdi noisy ignition - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-11, 10:55 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 407 hdi noisy ignition

I bought a 57 plate 407 hdi about a month ago and all has been well until this week. In the morning (or evening if the car has not been used all day) the first attempt at turning the ignition results in a rasping noise. On the second attempt it fires up as normal. This is happening every day now and I would be grateful if anyone could give me an idea as to what might be causing this.
spongebob76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-03-11, 11:01 AM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob76 View Post
I bought a 57 plate 407 hdi about a month ago and all has been well until this week. In the morning (or evening if the car has not been used all day) the first attempt at turning the ignition results in a rasping noise. On the second attempt it fires up as normal. This is happening every day now and I would be grateful if anyone could give me an idea as to what might be causing this.
could be just the starting motor being cold and/or belt?

where does the the noise seem to be coming from ie whereabouts in engine such as side, top, front?

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-03-11, 11:11 AM   #3
Inactive User

It seems to be from the left side of engine. I was hoping it was just because it was cold.
spongebob76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-03-11, 12:09 PM   #4
Inactive User

on the left side of the engine as you look into it from front, you have timing belt, drive belt, starter motor and alternator.

if it was timing you would have noticed by now as you will be suffering all the time with abd performance and a knackered engine.

drive belt and alternator tend to squeel when cold or on the way out

starter motor makes, as best as i can to describe it, a fast grinding noise if left running once ignition has taken place...it burns it out faster doing this. or so i am told

Old 26-03-11, 12:50 PM   #5

Starter motor , some day when you go to turn the car off it will rasp like hell and the car won`t turn off , don`t panic stick the car in a high gear and stall it , but between now and then start saving the pennies.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-03-11, 02:52 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyswollocks View Post
Starter motor , some day when you go to turn the car off it will rasp like hell and the car won`t turn off , don`t panic stick the car in a high gear and stall it , but between now and then start saving the pennies.

i bought an alternator from here:

.: Starter Motor & Alternator Company - Car Parts :.

although you maybe after a starter motor, they also sell them. they are brand new, not refurbed...ford wanted 350 for a new alternator for my car, these sold the same one, from same makers, just without ford sticker for 126, goes to show how much they save you.

just thought id give you a top tip and maybe some other users

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in