407 Engine Cutting Out - Please Help - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-10-13, 06:28 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 407 Engine Cutting Out - Please Help

OK, so I am a complete novice when it comes to these things.

My car is a Peugeot 407 Se Hdi on an 07 plate. Had it for about 18 months now, and there has always been an occasional case of putting my foot down and the car misfires.

Since Friday this has become a lot worse. On Friday morning pulling away on a major London A road, the car failed to respond, lurched and the ASR/ESP Fault light came on.

Managed however to limp it to work, but on the way home that night it regularly did the same thing, then, again accelerating on a road it appeared to only be firing on 2 or 3 cylinders through 2nd and third gear.

Tonight on the way home it again started misfiring, then the whole engine just cut out. It would not start for about 40 seconds, then turning the ignition started it up again. Limped it home, again with the intermittent cut outs.

When it is running it's running fine, so I don't think it is terminal, however, I am worried to drive it as it could cut out when pulling out which could be dangerous.

Have no other way of getting about and am currently skint!

I realise I will need a diagnostic - have no idea how to go about this.

Sorry to be such an amateur but any help / advice would be totally appreciated!

Thanks,

john
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-10-13, 06:38 PM   #2

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/
Old 28-10-13, 06:42 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks, seen that but no one near me sadly. Got a peugeot dealer about 5 mins away but I fear they would empty my wallet. Heard too many horror stories.

Last edited by ratty; 28-10-13 at 07:00 PM.

Old 28-10-13, 06:58 PM   #4
Inactive User

Will add to this after searching the forum a bit more. This car is used for driving round London primarily at the moment. Looks like it could be a root cause? Gave it a run to Portsmouth and back weekend before last, but did not really let it go as I had the kids in the car.
Old 28-10-13, 07:47 PM   #5

Really could be anything mate you need a planet diagnostic. Being based in London and stop/start driving will not help the DPF but this may not be the cause of your problem. If you are fairly savvy with computers and own a laptop I would consider buying one of the lexia interfaces (do a search on ebay) they are about 60 to 100 quid, I got one and loaded planet on it and it solved one or 2 issues with my car. It's either that, travel further to find a member with planet or a dealer/ garage I'm afraid. A shot in the dark but it could be MAF sensor - needs cleaning or replacing? Somewhere to start anyway.
ratty likes this.
Old 28-10-13, 07:53 PM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks, really appreciate the time taken to reply. Will go for the diagnostic when I get paid I reckon. I am sure it is nothing terminal as the car is fine until it happens.

I am dead savvy with computers so could do it myself - will consider this. Not savvy with cars though (not these days anyway) so not sure if I would even know what it told me! :P

Should mention that when it happens it either gives the ASR / EPS fault or the speed control faulty report. Restart the car and it's fine!
Old 28-10-13, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post

Should mention that when it happens it either gives the ASR / EPS fault or the speed control faulty report. Restart the car and it's fine!
Do a search on that on here, plenty of info sounds like an ABS sensor but it doesn't explain the rough running unless it's putting it into limp mode or something. Agree it won't be terminal, these are nice cars but they have more sensors then a jumbo jet!

Last edited by waynebrown; 28-10-13 at 08:09 PM.
waynebrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-10-13, 08:10 PM   #8
Inactive User

Again. Thanks!!
Old 28-10-13, 08:15 PM   #9

If your savvy with computers it'll cost you around about the same to buy Planet and diagnose yourself as a trip to the dealers to tell you whats wrong and you have the kit for future use
ratty likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-10-13, 08:34 PM   #10
Inactive User

Can only find for XP and 32 bit Windows 7.

I only have 64 bit 7 and windows 8.

Will keep hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in