407 coupe handbrake adjustment - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-02-16, 03:05 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 407 coupe handbrake adjustment

Hello, I wonder if someone would be able to help me?

I was told to adjust the handbrake you need to remove the ashtray on the reaer of the centre console, remove the plastic behind this. Take the hadbrake off and press the breake pedal until firm and then press the yellow springloaded 'button' under the centre conslole in the handbrake mechanism.

I tried the above and nothing happened , nor can I see a way of adjusting it (no visible wingnut etc). Could someone tell me how to adjust the handrake?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-02-16, 07:06 AM   #2
Inactive User

it is an auto adjusting handbrake. When I changed the pads on my 407 I had to adjust the hand brake.
I released the spring loaded button, pumped the brake pedal hard 3-4 times, released the brake pedal. Then applied the handbrake a couple of times, you can hear it adjust. My handbrake was fine after that.
Old 21-02-16, 07:57 PM   #3
Inactive User

Hi,

Yes, I knew it was auto adjusting but like you i have changed the brake pads. Sounds like I might be doing it in the wrong order. When you say you released the spring loaded button what do you mean? you pressed it, held it in or undid it?Was the handbrake on or off at this point?

Old 22-02-16, 08:38 AM   #4
Inactive User

handbrake off and used a flat blade screwdriver to lift it away from the ratchet mechanism until it reset. then pump brake pedal, release brake pedal and apply handbrake. it was a couple of years ago now that I did it so im relyin on my memory
Old 26-02-16, 01:22 PM   #5
Inactive User

Finally got round to adjusting the handbrake.
As i couldn't find anything to compress the spring loaded pin/button with the plastic yellow nut I ended up taking the yellow nut off and removed the spring and pin.
I did drop the yellow nut, bugger to get out as well !!

Anyway followed what you said and it adjusted after half a dozen pulls on the handbrake.

Put the pin/spring plasic nut back and jobs a good un.

Thanks for your help
Old 21-04-16, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Finally got round to adjusting the handbrake.
As i couldn't find anything to compress the spring loaded pin/button with the plastic yellow nut I ended up taking the yellow nut off and removed the spring and pin.
I did drop the yellow nut, bugger to get out as well !!

Anyway followed what you said and it adjusted after half a dozen pulls on the handbrake.

Put the pin/spring plasic nut back and jobs a good un.

Thanks for your help
i just did my brake pads in the rear, now my handbrake lose, did you adjust it from the inside of the car ?
mixmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in