407 - completely dead... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-17, 04:35 PM   #1
Inactive User

Exclamation 407 - completely dead...

Hi, first time poster and relative newbie when it comes to DIY'ing cars.

I was driving my 2005 407 SW diesel down the motorway when the windscreen wipers started going nuts, (perfectly sunny day, no rain to trigger the auto windscreen wipers). Then the electric windows started going up and down of their own accord. Then all of the lights went off on the dash... absolutely everything... I still had some acceleration and brakes but as soon as I came to a stop (off the motorway) the car never moved again.

When I put the key in the ignition all I get is a little *tickticktick* no lights, no turning over, no nothing!

Has anyone got any idea what may be wrong with the beast?

I have recently bought a Peugeot Planet device but have very little idea as to what I need to do with it...

I would really appreciate any help you guys may be able to offer and thanks in advance
onapona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-17, 04:45 PM   #2

Hi...checking battery cables and battery voltage seems a logical start.....
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-17, 04:52 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
Hi...checking battery cables and battery voltage seems a logical start.....
Battery and battery cables are fine, tried it with a brand new battery as well.

Old 03-02-17, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onapona View Post
Battery and battery cables are fine, tried it with a brand new battery as well.
what is the voltage of the battery and how have you checked the leads and connections?
Old 03-02-17, 05:14 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
what is the voltage of the battery and how have you checked the leads and connections?
I checked the terminals and the connections on the top, the voltage was 13.2. The leads show no signs of wear or damage and I checked fuses with a volt meter. Is there anything else more definitive I could try?
Old 03-02-17, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onapona View Post
I checked the terminals and the connections on the top, the voltage was 13.2. The leads show no signs of wear or damage and I checked fuses with a volt meter. Is there anything else more definitive I could try?
just doing a visual inspection will not suffice you need to remove connections clean them and then refit
Old 03-02-17, 06:58 PM   #7

now a starter test....check the voltage at the starter when trying to crank...check the voltage at the battery when trying to crank...have you any dash lights yet?
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-17, 09:23 PM   #8

check the engine earth(s) it sounds a fairly serious/basic/elementary electrical fault.
i'd be adding another engine earth regardless as a belt and braces approach
neil
i'm going to do this myself after a bit of slow starting recently in the cold weather all ok again now its a little warmer on mine -it was just turning over a little slower than normal ,only just enough to 'catch' as it were
( i did similar to my 405 when i had it and it REALLY woke up the starter spinning over the engine really fast...makes you think ,when you see how thin the stock cables are...good luck in resolving this
neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-17, 05:45 PM   #9
Inactive User

Hello all! thanks for your replies... due to that awful storm we had last night in France I have had no electricity/internet til about 2 hours ago and now I have no light to work by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
now a starter test....check the voltage at the starter when trying to crank...check the voltage at the battery when trying to crank...have you any dash lights yet?
The dash lights (and rear lights) have been turning on/off and staying on/off intermittently... whether or not the keys are in the ignition.

The voltage at the battery and the starter motor were unaffected when turning the ignition (though there is no cranking to be had!). The voltage had decreased from the previous 13.2 as the lights were draining the battery. I have disconnected the battery and I'm currently charging it overnight.

When we first broke down I attached the starter motor straight to the battery and it cranked but would not fire.

Is that enough to complete a starter test or should I try again when the battery is fully charged (please forgive all the questions, I am rather out of my depth, but have not the money for a garage here in very rural France!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
check the engine earth(s) it sounds a fairly serious/basic/elementary electrical fault.
i'd be adding another engine earth regardless as a belt and braces approach
neil
i'm going to do this myself after a bit of slow starting recently in the cold weather all ok again now its a little warmer on mine -it was just turning over a little slower than normal ,only just enough to 'catch' as it were
( i did similar to my 405 when i had it and it REALLY woke up the starter spinning over the engine really fast...makes you think ,when you see how thin the stock cables are...good luck in resolving this
neil
We have tried adding an earth from the neutral side of the battery straight on to the body work, and it made no difference... would that diagnose an earth issue. When I was able to get under the car I checked and tightened any earth I could find but I'm not sure I found them all... apparently a gearbox earth is a very common problem... I'm not entirely sure where the gearbox earth is, would you be able to point me in the right direction? A small problem that I have at the minute is that I am unable to take the car out of park to roll it up on the ramps I have. Do you have any idea where the shift release is? I have scoured the internet but must be using the wrong terminology as I have got no relevant results

Thank you all for taking the time to read through this! I really do appreciate all this help!
Old 04-02-17, 05:50 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
just doing a visual inspection will not suffice you need to remove connections clean them and then refit
Thanks, when I reconnected the battery this evening, dashboard lights came on and headlights too. Unfortunately they would not turn off when I took the keys out of the ignition and have drained the battery somewhat! I have now removed the battery to put it on charge over night and I will clean up everything I can before refitting it in daylight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in