407 brake performance - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-13, 11:17 PM   #1
COLINELLIS

Thumbs down 407 brake performance

Hello Again Chaps & Chapettes

Recently I bled the whole system on my 407 and put new fluid in as the old one was brown and the brakes where to be honest pants

They seem better with the new fluid in but not much so I was wondering if its a common issue or something terminal as the MOT is due in June.

Ill be honest I have been driving the wife's Passat all week for work as she has diesel and offered ( Yes I'm Officially a cheapskate ). I drove my 407 today and the brakes seemed really poor If I press the brake hard the car does stop but there is a lot of travel the pedal will go to the floor then the ABS will kick in. If I sit in the car and press the peddle with the engine running the peddle will stop about half way down but then slowly lower until it his the floor. I am not loosing any fluid and there is no air in the system, I also used sealed Dot 4 fluid that I had just purchased so there should not be any issues there either.

Please Help guys.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-13, 01:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLINELLIS View Post
Hello Again Chaps & Chapettes

Recently I bled the whole system on my 407 and put new fluid in as the old one was brown and the brakes where to be honest pants

They seem better with the new fluid in but not much so I was wondering if its a common issue or something terminal as the MOT is due in June.

Ill be honest I have been driving the wife's Passat all week for work as she has diesel and offered ( Yes I'm Officially a cheapskate ). I drove my 407 today and the brakes seemed really poor If I press the brake hard the car does stop but there is a lot of travel the pedal will go to the floor then the ABS will kick in. If I sit in the car and press the peddle with the engine running the peddle will stop about half way down but then slowly lower until it his the floor. I am not loosing any fluid and there is no air in the system, I also used sealed Dot 4 fluid that I had just purchased so there should not be any issues there either.

Please Help guys.
Hi
Just to let you know i have a 407 sw hdi gt and no problems with the brakes or the pedal, i think you have a problem some where.
100brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-13, 06:20 AM   #3

I have the same problems on mine, in summertime (well, when using proper summer tires and it's not wet on the road) I really need to put the pedal completely to the floor to make the car brake hard. Sometimes the ABS will kick in, sometimes not.

I also have the same feeling that if I press the pedal, it will travel a little bit before getting "hard", then it will lower slowly from there, so it seem to be something off with it.

If I give it a slight tap before I reapply the brakes, it seem to bite much further out and have a better feel.

I also bled my brakes a lot of times, pumped through 2 litres of fluid, also did the ABS de-airing procedure twice, but to no help.

Btw. Just adding new fluid shouldn't make any difference to the old fluid, it only improves the boiling temperature and anti-corrosion properties of it, not the pedal feeling. Only air in the system, or some other internal leak etc. should change that I believe.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-13, 06:28 AM   #4
davidireland

What brand pad have you?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-04-13, 06:43 AM   #5

Not sure, but it surely ain't the pads making the pedal seep inwards.
It must be something else.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
Old 12-04-13, 06:46 AM   #6
Inactive User

if the peddal still dropping there still air in the system

keep bleeding till u get all the air out
bonzo_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-13, 06:49 AM   #7

It surely can't be air.

I've bled a lot of brakes on different cars and once it's bled it's bled..

I'm thinking more of it beeing an internal leak in the MC or in the ABS pump.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
Old 12-04-13, 06:59 AM   #8
davidireland

Hard pads will cause it yes. I had to change pads in a car once as it wouldn't pass the national car test as it had too much pedal travel. The pads were Sparco. Fitted Mintex pads and the pedal was fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-04-13, 07:19 AM   #9

I agree that the pedal travel can be slightly dependent on the pads, if the pad has an awful friction coeffisient that is. I would guess most pads doesnt have this problems.

But the main problem is that the pedal is creeping inwards, after it has been pressed and come to an temporary halt. This is unrelated to the pads, as you can feel it when car is stationary with engine running.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
Old 12-04-13, 07:24 AM   #10
Inactive User

could it be the vacuum pump or somethin on the air side causin this??

David my car has all genuine peugeot parts for the brakes fitted at main dealer when i bought the car, to be honest they only changed front pads and my brakes are exactly like described in original post. They work but pedal does slowly travel near to the floor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in