407 brake light fault - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-11, 09:49 AM   #1
Inactive User

Thumbs up 407 brake light fault

Smilie face because after reading a couple of threads I have finally found an answer. I was unable to find the brake light switch on my 407sw 2006 but with my head up under the dash I realised that the switch was on the passenger side of an English model, behind the glove compartment. The switch is removed by turning it 90deg in its holder. After spraying with WD40 and operating manualy it worked perfectly. I then realised that the plate that held it in place had moved slightly so the actuator was not touching the switch to turn the lights off. Bending the plate forward to its orrigional possition rectified the fault (no adjustment available). This also enabled the out of park switch on the auto gearbox to work correctly and removed the ESP/Speed control warning lights on the dashboard. 3 faults removed in one opperation, I hope this helps other owners and thanks to the people who posted threads that helped me.
Gibbo and philkerman like this.
Tony1947 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-11, 02:52 PM   #2
Inactive User

Nice.
battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-10-11, 12:15 PM   #3
Inactive User

Any chance of a picture of the switch so I dont end up ********** up something else?? This problem has been plaguing me for yonks and I've tried every other fix I can find.

MOD NOTE: Post edited due to offensive language as per rule number 4 - https://www.peugeotforums.com/rules.html

Last edited by storeman; 04-06-17 at 06:24 AM.
dreddfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 13-10-11, 08:15 PM   #4
Inactive User

This is the switch, green one. you twist it counter-clockwise around 90 degrees.

Another thing what i would like to know, what the heck is that open connector i have dangling there, am i missing something??
Attached Thumbnails
imag1258.jpg  
battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-10-11, 07:44 AM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks for the pic, I actually went out and poked around yesterday until i found it.

I had my car in with the sparky to replace the com unit and he reckoned that the problem was caused by this coz he couldnt get it to beep after the replacement, I got it four times on the way home from his garage so your after saving him from a very narkey phone call

I bent the reciever in a bit and pulled the plunger out two clicks to ensure a good contact and I didnt get any beeps for two trips to work (45 mins each way) so hopefully that'll be the end of the anoyances for a while.
I noticed that I didn't get the ESP/ASR fault either so that's another fault knocked off the list

I also gave it a small spray of electrical contact cleaner after testing the operation of the switch with a multimeter (a tool that that everyone should have in my opinion)
It's better than paying the dealer 99 euro + Vat for the little fecker
Old 14-10-11, 05:26 PM   #6
jmkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreddfan View Post
with a multimeter (a tool that that everyone should have in my opinion)
Couldn't agree more.... solved no end of problems with one of them
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-10-11, 10:01 AM   #7
Inactive User

Still no beeps for either problem yet so I think I can safely say that the problem is solved

Much kudos to Tony1947 for the help
Old 10-05-15, 04:40 AM   #8
Inactive User

Smile Saved me a fortune

Thanks Guys,
Found the faulty switch, the adjuster had stripped out. So down to the hardware for some small cable ties to use as packers. The only hard part was getting the correct number and refitting the switch. Very hard driving long distance with no cruise control.
Gale154 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-06-15, 09:32 PM   #9
Inactive User

I get esp/asr fault last few weeks. Today i get one more brake lights fault . Lights working but after few seconds and breaking up. Give more gray hairs , is there anyway to check it that this switch makes problem
Tosti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-06-15, 02:13 AM   #10
Inactive User

Get a friend to check the operation of the brake lights with the engine running.
If they operate normally it is not the brake light switch.
Gale154 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in