407 2.0l petrol engine hesitation/hiccoughing - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-09-11, 11:59 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 407 2.0l petrol engine hesitation/hiccoughing

hi all;
bought my 407 on Saturday; chuffed to bits with it! awesome car to drive and very comfortable etc.
its going back to the garage Sunday because of a slight hic-coughing when im cruising.
basically it will accelerate fine, plenty of power etc but if you then let off the power to just happily roll along at, say 60 mph, it will start to pull back; almost like its choking or starting to miss-fire. Its not major; but it is noticeable. Also idles very "lumpy" when cold. so im suspecting EGR
I experienced similar on my previous car (Astra) which was the EGR unit. So ive pulled mine on the 407 and de-ckoed it with carb cleaner etc but the fault is still there.

before she goes back to the garage is there anything else i could try? on the Astra i could run the car with the EGR unplugged; it threw up the engine management light but it ran perfectly; great for diagnosing the EGR.
i read that the 407 will enter limp mode if i try that? is that the case or could i try the EGR disconnect to test?
it had a new coil-pack fitted before i bought it; it was throwing up a fault code apparently. it not throwing up any fault codes at all at the moment..appart from the tyre pressure warning, which i suspect is either a faulty sensor or a non sensored valve fitted so im happy to have a beep after 1 mile of motoring.
the garage isnt moaning about having it back to check etc and its all under warranty but i like to know these things myself and have some idea about what im talking if the garage does start to ask or hint they cant find anything wrong. forewarned and fore armed so to speak.
any help and ideas are much appreciated.

Last edited by kirisute; 29-09-11 at 12:04 PM.
kirisute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-09-11, 12:57 PM   #2

I'd recommend carb cleaner on the mass air flow sensor and any other air measuring sensors on the air pipes.

Try disconnecting the mass air flow sensor and see if it drives better unplugged.
Old 29-09-11, 01:06 PM   #3
Inactive User

mass flow air sensor? ok where will i find that?
without a haynes manual im kind of scuppered! dont know enough of the engine yet to hunt things out! LOL!
if its too fiddly i will just leave it to the garage to look into, but if its a 2 min job, like removing the EGR then im happy to have a play.
cheers for answer

Old 29-09-11, 01:06 PM   #4
Inactive User

You tried some good injector cleaner in your fuel give it a good blast out and use a good petrol not supermarket rubbish.

Is there an inline fuel filter on them change that.
Old 29-09-11, 01:21 PM   #5
Inactive User

The MAF will be in between airfilter and air intake round tube like with sensors attached about size of your fist if your normal sized and not a man mountain
Old 29-09-11, 01:42 PM   #6
Inactive User

cool ill go take a look.
im no man moutain
off to blunder about under the bonnet!
Old 29-09-11, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirisute View Post
mass flow air sensor? ok where will i find that?
without a haynes manual im kind of scuppered! dont know enough of the engine yet to hunt things out! LOL!
if its too fiddly i will just leave it to the garage to look into, but if its a 2 min job, like removing the EGR then im happy to have a play.
cheers for answer
Just did my EGR valve at the weekend. Easy, took me approx. 20 mins to take it off first time. I have also had the suggestion of blocking it off if it causes any more problems. Already got the blanking plate ready. Mine seems to be behaving itself at present so shall wait and see. Spayed Wynn's EGR3 through the air intake as well.
Malcolm.
Old 29-09-11, 02:11 PM   #8
Inactive User

yeah the EGR was pretty easy to sort..other than dropping my 13mm ratchet head down the back of the engine bay...which got lost.....
though the egr bolt i dropped next fell straight through onto the ground underneath! LOL go figure...
anyway that seemed fairly clean...though to be fair i cleaned the hell out of my old Astra EGR and it still played about; but a new unit made all the difference in the world.
sometimes with EGR's it would seem cleaning will work, and others it wont.
all of this is really a process of me learning what "might" be the issue and then being able to say to the garage...please check this out!

Last edited by kirisute; 29-09-11 at 02:13 PM.
Old 29-09-11, 02:28 PM   #9
CAB

Get them to update the software on the engine ecu.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-09-11, 02:33 PM   #10

If you go to Euro Car Parts web site and put in your reg details you can search for these parts and you'll get a picture of what it looks like.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in