407 2.0 HDI engine cuts with ABS/ESP lights - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-09-18, 09:13 PM   #1

Default 407 2.0 HDI engine cuts with ABS/ESP lights

I'd appreciate it if you guys could cast your eye over my fault logs below. I'd thought initially that the BSI is playing up but wonder if (ie hope!) it could be a simpler issue such as a bad ground. My car DOES have a tail light unit which has an extra earth lead attached... so I'm now wondering if THAT can cause the issues below?

Car: 2008 Peugeot 407 2.0 HDI 136, 117k miles

Summary of problem: Random shutdown of engine (mostly when at idle or in slow moving traffic) and various dash faults (ABS/ESP/DPF). A restart of the car, its all ok again.

EXAMPLE 1: May 2018

Driving at full temp in heavy traffic, 1st gear stop start. I thought the car had stalled but after ABS/ESP/DPF lights cycled on the dash, the engine seemed to lose comms with the BSI. Engine sat at ~1800rpm with no throttle response. Turning off ignition, engine still ran at 1800rpm or so and I had to stall it. Restarted with NO problems for many months.

Fault code scan using PSA Diagbox showed:
F015 BSI: Fault: No communication with engine ECU. Not characterised local.

Amongst other codes, I got F9A0: BSI: Fault code unknown.

EXAMPLE 2: Sept 2018

In traffic, car warming up, only done 0.7km. Sat at lights in neutral and engine shuts down. ABS/ESP lights on dash. Restart is fine, no problem since. Got some clean fault codes on this one!

BSI: F5FF: Unexpected re-initialisation fault coming from the BSI
Engine ECU then logged P0215: Injection supply unit relay circuit (1 stage)
ABS U1308 Fault in communication with the engine management ECU or with the drivetrain interface ECU

Here's the fault journal for this one.... I suspect as the BSI freaked out... all these other things were triggered as comms went down?

Engine ECU codes - reporting "cut or stalled"

So, really, just these 2 incidents. There was one other occasion, sat with the engine running outside school and it just cut. Asides from these 3 random stutters over the year, the car drives perfectly. On the move, no issues at all.

My (DIY/amateur) conclusion is that the BSI must have a fault? Something that's causing the comms to drop - triggering all of these subsequent codes in ABS/ESP/DPF? Just wanted to sound it out to you before pulling the BSI and sending it off for a test/repair.

Thanks!
Johnny_E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-18, 07:31 AM   #2

Hi.....the rear light xtra earth is nothing to worry about,mine has 2,...hang around a while in case you get more answers but I would clear the faults listed and check all the wiring to the injectors and any you can see.....check all the earths..let us know

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-09-18, 07:58 AM   #3

I'd posted the same fault logs over at BBA Reman - the guys who do BSI testing and repairs. Their first thought was along the same lines - that its NOT the BSI but more likely wiring - same thoughts as yourself.

The car will no doubt now behave impeccably for months before throwing a hissy fit! Sods law... I can't replicate the fault.

The incident back in May was a heart stopper mind you... the engine went solo and decided to sit at fixed RPM. I guess its programmed so that if it looses comms with the BSI, it stays running at safe/fixed RPMs to get you off the road. I only know this AFTER the fact - and can tell you that stuck in an 8 mile tail back on the motorway, radio blaring... I had NO clue what was going on! Had visions of a turbo runaway.. plumes of smoke and a fire!

For now - given I'm no auto electrician... I'll just pull and reseat all connectors I can get my hands to?... check for oxidisation and spray some contact cleaner into them?

Old 28-09-18, 08:06 AM   #4

Hi...while your there check the fuel system as well...connectors on the filter..leak off pipes on the injectors and there is no safe rpm to get you moving ..there is a rev limit if there is something wrong tho .. called limp mode...some thing was making the engine rev....check the throttle pedal with diagbox.....

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
Old 28-09-18, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
Hi...while your there check the fuel system as well...connectors on the filter..leak off pipes on the injectors and there is no safe rpm to get you moving ..there is a rev limit if there is something wrong tho .. called limp mode...some thing was making the engine rev....check the throttle pedal with diagbox.....
I was aware of limp mode - as in, a rev LIMIT.. but this was FIXED rpm. The wierd thing in all this is that for the majority of the time, the car is fine. I've had 4 incidents in a year - but the rest of the time?... drives like new.

Here's the engine ECU faults from that incident when it sat at 1800rpm until I had to stall it to kill the engine:

When you say "check the throttle pedal with diagbox..." - is that an actuator test you can do on the pedal?

Last edited by Johnny_E; 28-09-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 28-09-18, 09:27 AM   #6

Hi...so ignition off didnt stop the engine?

Old 28-09-18, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
Hi...so ignition off didnt stop the engine?
No. Key out... it sat at the same 1800-2000RPM. I had to put the car in gear and stall it. Whilst it was doing this, the throttle pedal had no effect.

It was purely an electrical glitch. If it had been a runaway/failed turbo... we'd have had rising RPMs and smoke.

On restart... the car drove flawlessly and has done for months. I run Torque Pro on the car daily, with a boost gauge and fuel rail pressures on screen. The car drives well, pulls hard and smoke free. DPF is healthy and gives no trouble.

If it weren't for these 4 random freak outs (with associated ABS/ESP/DPF lights as it dies off)... you'd say the car drove like new.

Last edited by Johnny_E; 28-09-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 28-09-18, 10:43 AM   #8

Such a shame...its runing on fuel from somewhere...I'm sorry to say from a my point of view Ive run out ot ideas...Intermittant faults are the worst to track down..but I think there is more than 1 issue...There will be more thoughts from here so keep in touch and I wish you the best of luck sorting it

Old 28-09-18, 10:52 AM   #9

You're right.. its a few things! Thats why I wondered at the outset, is the BSI playing silly buggers?

For the sake of a 35 test fee, I might just pull it anyway. If this is a duff wire in the loom somewhere it'll be a puke to find - especially if the break only presents an issue twice a year on me!

A restart always solves the issue, so I guess "ignore and drive on" would probably work for years..... except that the 2 times it cut out, were in heavy traffic. Not a nice situation to be in and I've lost confidence in the car as a result.
Old 28-09-18, 12:45 PM   #10

If both have occurred whilst in heavy traffic... and the third when sat still with the engine running..... it would be safe to assume it is heat related! I don't think it's the BSI but of course, not 100% sure.

I don't think it's fuel / oil related, it's simply an electrical fault somewhere. My best guess would be to check the earths... heat causes things to expand...making things ever so looser, go round with a spanner and tighten things up.

It may be the engine ECU itself, it is right there next to the engine and the heat might be causing it to cause a corruption in the RAM. (Might be worth seeing if you can hook up a 12v PC fan to provide a bit more airflow and "fix" the issue?

Last edited by BiGK; 28-09-18 at 12:49 PM.
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in