407 1.6hdi cranking but not starting - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-16, 12:53 AM   #1

Default 407 1.6hdi cranking but not starting (Solved)

Hello,
So I just bought my 407 sw (2006) the day before yesterday and this morning it wouldn't start! AHH. :-( I got it cheap as a bit of a fixer-upper, so I'll probably be haunting this forum, annoying everyone until I learn all the obvious stuff! Still I didn't expect it to die so soon..

Anyway, I had it idling yesterday, and I was just sitting inside, pressing buttons like a kid with a new toy, and I gave it a bit of a rev (only~2200rpm) nothing major and when I left the throttle off it just died. I didn't think anything of it at the time and I just wandered into the house and forgot about it.

Then this morning it wouldn't start. It's cranking (sounding fine) but won't start. I pumped the primer, which was soft, and it hardened up a bit but it still wouldn't start. I tried this several times and tried to bleed the fuel filter with the twisty thing on the top but still no-go, I think it just let more air back into the fuel line.

There's also a constant humming coming from a little solenoid thing (in the image below) it's humming as long as the ignition is turned on, and stops about 5 seconds after I turn it off. I'm not sure if this is normal, or what, since it's my first diesel, and everything is new and strange!.

There was a lot of smoke when I started it the day before, just for a few seconds, and then it was fine (didn't notice the colour, possibly heavy white). I've driven about 100 miles so far and there was no problems at all.
There's no smoke now when it's failing to start.

It would be lovely if this sounds totally obvious to somebody, and they just say "oh yea, that's the fuel filter" or whatever. :-)

P.S.
I can't post images as my post count is too low, but the solenoid/motor I was talking about is on to one of the large (air?) hoses on the front left of the engine.

Last edited by gijoe50000; 12-12-16 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Solved
gijoe50000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-16, 05:12 AM   #2
Inactive User

Mine makes all sorts of noises when the ignition is turned on and off but used to it now lol.
Had a problem with starting a while ago especially when I parked on an upward gradient, air would collect in the filter overnight and if I started it in the morning it would run for 2 seconds and cut out when the air reached the injectors, then had to bleed the filter with a combination of the bulb and releasing the air from the housing with the screw but still it took till the battery was nearly flat to get going, I fixed it in the end by replacing the seal on the fuel filter and no probs since
sfnett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-16, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe50000 View Post
Hello,
So I just bought my 407 sw (2006) the day before yesterday and this morning it wouldn't start! AHH. :-( I got it cheap as a bit of a fixer-upper, so I'll probably be haunting this forum, annoying everyone until I learn all the obvious stuff! Still I didn't expect it to die so soon..

Anyway, I had it idling yesterday, and I was just sitting inside, pressing buttons like a kid with a new toy, and I gave it a bit of a rev (only~2200rpm) nothing major and when I left the throttle off it just died. I didn't think anything of it at the time and I just wandered into the house and forgot about it.

Then this morning it wouldn't start. It's cranking (sounding fine) but won't start. I pumped the primer, which was soft, and it hardened up a bit but it still wouldn't start. I tried this several times and tried to bleed the fuel filter with the twisty thing on the top but still no-go, I think it just let more air back into the fuel line.

There's also a constant humming coming from a little solenoid thing (in the image below) it's humming as long as the ignition is turned on, and stops about 5 seconds after I turn it off. I'm not sure if this is normal, or what, since it's my first diesel, and everything is new and strange!.

There was a lot of smoke when I started it the day before, just for a few seconds, and then it was fine (didn't notice the colour, possibly heavy white). I've driven about 100 miles so far and there was no problems at all.
There's no smoke now when it's failing to start.

It would be lovely if this sounds totally obvious to somebody, and they just say "oh yea, that's the fuel filter" or whatever. :-)

P.S.
I can't post images as my post count is too low, but the solenoid/motor I was talking about is on to one of the large (air?) hoses on the front left of the engine.
after trying to start turn off leaving key in ignition and open the driverís door, does the car beep to say the key is in the ignition?
You need to get it on planet/diagbox to read the codes and have a look at live data have a good read of the link below it explains a lot of stuff like how to contact a member with the relevant equipment needed https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...members-83170/

Old 11-11-16, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfnett View Post
Mine makes all sorts of noises when the ignition is turned on and off but used to it now lol.
Had a problem with starting a while ago especially when I parked on an upward gradient, air would collect in the filter overnight and if I started it in the morning it would run for 2 seconds and cut out when the air reached the injectors, then had to bleed the filter with a combination of the bulb and releasing the air from the housing with the screw but still it took till the battery was nearly flat to get going, I fixed it in the end by replacing the seal on the fuel filter and no probs since
Hmm, my driveway is an uphill gradient alright, but mine's the square filter with the colored tabs, the all-in-one filter. Wasn't sure if I was bleeding it the right way or not. Previous owner said he'd just changed the fuel filter too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
after trying to start turn off leaving key in ignition and open the driverís door, does the car beep to say the key is in the ignition?
You need to get it on planet/diagbox to read the codes and have a look at live data have a good read of the link below it explains a lot of stuff like how to contact a member with the relevant equipment needed https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...members-83170/
I had a read off the new member link alright last night, no doubt I'll be back there a few more times. I think I got the beep alright with the keys inside. I am getting an ESP error, think the sensor needs to be replaced.

Anyway, I was on the way out to do a BSI reset there a few minutes ago and before I did, it started, first time, no problem. It was a good bit colder yesterday (4-5C) while today it's 7-8C. Could it be a fuel temp issue? Or something settling overnight. I haven't had a glow-plug indicator yet. It only lights up when the temp is cold enough, right?

I hate unsolved mysteries, and no doubt I'll be trying to get my hands on Peugeot Planet myself at some stage. :-)
Old 11-11-16, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Hmm, my driveway is an uphill gradient alright, but mine's the square filter with the colored tabs, the all-in-one filter. Wasn't sure if I was bleeding it the right way or not. Previous owner said he'd just changed the fuel filter too.

I had a read off the new member link alright last night, no doubt I'll be back there a few more times. I think I got the beep alright with the keys inside. I am getting an ESP error, think the sensor needs to be replaced.

Anyway, I was on the way out to do a BSI reset there a few minutes ago and before I did, it started, first time, no problem. It was a good bit colder yesterday (4-5C) while today it's 7-8C. Could it be a fuel temp issue? Or something settling overnight. I haven't had a glow-plug indicator yet. It only lights up when the temp is cold enough, right?

I hate unsolved mysteries, and no doubt I'll be trying to get my hands on Peugeot Planet myself at some stage. :-)
what is the voltage on the battery before starting, while cranking and after starting?

check the battery connections, earth connections and starter connections even remove clean and refit as it could be a bad connection causing the starter to be under powered and not spinning as fast
Old 11-11-16, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
what is the voltage on the battery before starting, while cranking and after starting?

check the battery connections, earth connections and starter connections even remove clean and refit as it could be a bad connection causing the starter to be under powered and not spinning as fast
My multimeter is dead at the moment so con't check, but the battery seemed very strong when I was cranking it so I don't think that was the problem. It seemed like something was flat-out stopping it from starting, like no fuel, or an immobiliser (not sure how the immobiliser works in this model, whether it won't turn or won't start it). It was like, you know when a car is TRYING to start, almost starting, it wasn't like that.. it was a constant, strong cranking and not going any further.
Today it was starting first time, every time after about 1s.

The battery in my fob is dead too, or just about anyway (got a new one on the way) so I wonder if that had something to do with it? Sorry if that's sounds a bit stupid, but everything is still new to me, I'm gathering the knowledge slowly but surely.. :-)
Old 11-11-16, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
My multimeter is dead at the moment so con't check, but the battery seemed very strong when I was cranking it so I don't think that was the problem. It seemed like something was flat-out stopping it from starting, like no fuel, or an immobiliser (not sure how the immobiliser works in this model, whether it won't turn or won't start it). It was like, you know when a car is TRYING to start, almost starting, it wasn't like that.. it was a constant, strong cranking and not going any further.
Today it was starting first time, every time after about 1s.

The battery in my fob is dead too, or just about anyway (got a new one on the way) so I wonder if that had something to do with it? Sorry if that's sounds a bit stupid, but everything is still new to me, I'm gathering the knowledge slowly but surely.. :-)
the battery in the fob would not stop it starting, if it does not read the key transponder then that would stop it starting (no battery needed for key transponder)

next time it does it try this, after trying to start turn off leaving key in ignition and open the driverís door, does the car beep to say the key is in the ignition?
Old 11-11-16, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
the battery in the fob would not stop it starting, if it does not read the key transponder then that would stop it starting (no battery needed for key transponder)

next time it does it try this, after trying to start turn off leaving key in ignition and open the driverís door, does the car beep to say the key is in the ignition?
It did beep today when it WAS running (engine and ignition off) but I don't think it did yesterday. Can't be 100% sure now, but probably, it would have been annoying me! :-) You think it wasn't recognising the transponder?
Old 11-11-16, 04:24 PM   #9

Quote:
It did beep today when it WAS running (engine and ignition off) but I don't think it did yesterday. Can't be 100% sure now, but probably, it would have been annoying me! :-) You think it wasn't recognising the transponder?
possibly yes, could be a bad connection going into comms unit or it could be the transponder areal in the key being dodgy, if you have a spare key does it do it with both, if you dont have a spare key now is a good time to get one encase it is the key
Old 13-11-16, 01:08 AM   #10

I don't have a spare key, unfortunately, but there was a spare fob and a 'key' in the glovebox. Haven't tested the other fob yet, and the other key doesn't fit any of the locks (door, ignition, glovebox). Weird..

My own key only works in the ignition so I'm thinking the ignition was changed at some point. There seems to have been a lot of things replaced in the car. lol..

Just a thought, I removed the spare fob from the car the other day. Would it make sense that it was the original fob with the correct transponder, and removing it prevented the car from starting? (even though it started again the next day.)

Or does the transponder have to be within a few cm's of the ignition?
Does the transponder code change when the fob is reprogrammed?

Thanks again for the replies, it's much appreciated.. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in