2.2 Petrol reliability/Experiences? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-12, 05:29 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 2.2 Petrol reliability/Experiences?

Does anybody know what reliability is like with the 2.2 petrol?
Whats your average MPG & Can somebody please tell me when the cambelt interval is?
Looking to purchase a coupe with the 2.2, so just want to hear some peoples experiences
Advertisement

Old 04-02-12, 09:22 PM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave828 View Post
Does anybody know what reliability is like with the 2.2 petrol?
Whats your average MPG & Can somebody please tell me when the cambelt interval is?
Looking to purchase a coupe with the 2.2, so just want to hear some peoples experiences
Cant say on 2.2 but i can on my 2 litre.
Avg mpg is about 32 on short trips but I can get up to mid 40's on long ones.
Cam is about 80000 if I recall.
Most issues I found when researching to buy are the usual ones: egr, map sensor, coil pack and injectors
My 2 litre has plenty of poke, slightly weak pulling away but alot of power in 3rd upwards
Egr needs mapping to engine when replaced.
Main dealer told me most petrols idle roughly in cold weather but are fine once warm....mine certainly does.
kirisute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-12, 06:24 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for the info kiristue!

Old 05-02-12, 07:01 PM   #4

I have read the 2.2 petrol is the best one. Chopper1192 knows more about them.

trem1 likes this.
sterion75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-12, 11:35 AM   #5
Inactive User

The 2.2 realy only has one downside - it's poor mpg..
The 3.0 gets roughly the same mpg, despite having so much more oomph.

The inlet VCT wheel is a weak point on them, listen if it sounds like a diesel when starting it from cold. Sometimes it can be cured by using a thicker oil, but some of them are really bad.
tb205gti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-04-12, 04:18 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb205gti View Post
The 2.2 realy only has one downside - it's poor mpg..
The 3.0 gets roughly the same mpg, despite having so much more oomph.

The inlet VCT wheel is a weak point on them, listen if it sounds like a diesel when starting it from cold. Sometimes it can be cured by using a thicker oil, but some of them are really bad.
I've just bought a 2.2 petrol and it is noisey on cold start, much like a diesel, is there a fix for this, other than thicker oil?
harryhammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-04-12, 08:41 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhammer View Post
i've just bought a 2.2 petrol and it is noisey on cold start, much like a diesel, is there a fix for this, other than thicker oil?
yes replace variators
Old 16-04-12, 08:55 PM   #8
chopper1192

There's less than a second between the 2.2 sparker and the 3.0, which was only available with the power sapping auto box, so don't believe the bull. The 3.0 has never been a fast engine, and even when it first appeared was a bit puny for its capacity. Mine had been remapped to 191BHP and used to flush 3 litre heads down the toilet and stole its lunch money.

I'd average mid to high 30s mpg, into the high 40s on a run, which is better than many 2.2 HDi owners manage. You won't get the 3.0 within 10 MPG of those figures, low 20s all round to low 30's on a run being typical, not to mention the 450 road tax on the six...

Generally the toughest 407 engine. No DMF, no FAP, no point going for the diesel over this engine.

Occasional issues with noisy lifters, which isnt a problem, just noisy. Occasional coil pack problems, and they're sensitive to spark plug condition, but generally speaking they're pretty tight.

The economy isn't bad if you drive sensibly, they're reliable, quick, mainly cone with the 6 speed manual, and the 1500-2000 saved over time by eliminating the DMF and FAP make it pointless buying the diesel.

It's the best all-round engine in the range, and hence the one I went for. I miss mine terribly, but work moved me to a site less than 6 miles from home so I couldn't justify running 2 large cars.

Last edited by chopper1192; 16-04-12 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Glory ninety shut about cat
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-04-12, 08:22 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192 View Post
Mine had been remapped to 191BHP and used to flush 3 litre heads down the toilet and stole its lunch money.
you 2.2 petrol had been remapped to 191bhp ??
tb205gti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-14, 11:52 AM   #10

Default 2.2 Coupe

Apologies for thread resurrection but I've had my 95k mile 2.2 407 Coupe for a year now (cost 2k back then and it's an 06) and have some observations.

I have been surprised by the fuel consumption - high 30's and even mid 40's on a run making it nearly as cheap to fuel as my 2001 2.0 HDi C5.

The power is adequate (standard 160 ish) providing enough shove to make brisk progress. This isn't a sports car it is a mile eater, but you can accidentally provoke licence losing numbers with ease. 300 miles to Cornwall was dispatched in comfort and with ease.

The cam belt is a 100k change item which we had done for circa 250 and the variator rattles a bit until warm which is of zero concern to me.

The 'box is standard PSA fare, easy to use and seems pretty tough. Ride is excellent as is handling. I fitted a set of new brakes and Avons all round and I am far to chicken to get anywhere near exploring the envelope on this car. Great grip even in the wet.

The build quality is very, very good, double glazing makes it quiet inside and the JBL stereo thingy makes it very, very noisy if that's your bag.

I would love to have a bit more go (190bhp sounds interesting!) and may well get it remapped as the chassis can really handle it. It looks and feels like it should have a small block v8 driving the back wheels, so maybe a future project if I ever blow it up.

Size wise there is a ton of space for a coupe, easily rivaling my C5 for rear legroom (if not quite headroom) and fold flat seats for a good size load area if you need it.

This is a rare car on UK roads and a complete bargain. Easily the best car I've owned in 34 years and 60 cars (yes sixty) including German stuff, Jags, MGs, Alfas and lots of other French stuff.

One gripe only - no sunroof - but I may just get a fabric one fitted like the old MG BGT :-)
Gibbo likes this.
Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in