1.6 HDi turbo replacement *** warning *** - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-16, 06:26 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 1.6 HDi turbo replacement *** warning ***

Well I bought a 90K mile 407 1.6HDi as a cheap car from ebay with a worn out turbo and awful service history.

One new 75 turbo cartridge later all was good with the world.

When I replaced it I did check the oil feed pipe was clean and that the gauze filter on the end was removed plus the oil supply to the turbo was strong all good.

Did an oil and filter change.

Today I have just replaced the cam chain as this has started rattling away in the top of the engine. This is a pig of a job took me all day wouldn't recommend this job to anyone :-(

Whilst I was there I checked free play in the end of my new turbo and its worn out with loads of slop :-( after less than 2K miles.

Well annoyed.

Took the sump off to check the pick up and that was fine re checked the oil feed from the turbo and loads of oil coming through.

A bit mystified I have read several posts of people putting 2 and sometimes 3 turbos in in quick succession.

The only thing I can think of is that the oil was so crappy before I changed it that the residual oil in the engine (quite a bit gets left in the sump with that raised sump bolt) has corrupted the new oil.

I have just changed the oil again whilst I had the sump off and have ordered another load and will change again in a few days time.

So if your changing the turbo I would recommend several oil changes following.

Worried if I put another turbo in it will be knackered again in a few months time.

Any help on this one ?
MissSpent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-16, 06:40 PM   #2

75 is very cheap for a quality turbo cartridge. If everything else looks good i would suspect poor quality sleeve bearings in the cartridge
Old 11-03-16, 06:43 PM   #3

It's not likely but the one thing you haven't mentioned you did was to clean out the original turbo housing. If you missed doing this then it's likely that it was harbouring all kinds of nasty stuff which may well have started to kill off the replacement cartridge. I would imagine you did clean this considering you went to the trouble of checking the feed pipe and filter.

There is a quite informative PDF file that was posted on the forum that shows in detail what can happen to an engine to cause turbo failure which explains that carbon builds up throughout the engine and if not thoroughly cleaned can break loose contaminating the new oil which leads to the rapid failure of replacement turbo's. Some have also suggested that engines that get to this state are basically beyond cleaning and need to be replaced.

It may well be that the sump wasn't badly contaminated but the engine galleries were and this could have caused you current problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-16, 07:11 AM   #4
Inactive User

yes I did clean out the old turbo casings it was like new.

I think it must be oil contamination as my cam chain was incredibly worn and I think that got significantly worse over the same period

Is it safe to use an engine flush on these ?
Old 12-03-16, 08:22 AM   #5
Inactive User

75 is a way to cheap for turbo it is probably some very poor china quality part.You can change 10 times that bull.... china parts and it will be always the same.
daki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-16, 08:30 AM   #6
Inactive User

I think it was turbo technics well regarded British re conditioner, quality looked first class.
Old 12-03-16, 11:25 AM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSpent View Post
I think it was turbo technics well regarded British re conditioner, quality looked first class.
Ok they are turbo reconditioners ,but it depends what turbo catridge they use,i had experience with low quality chinese parts,they all look nice ,but quality poor.I heard that Mellet catridges are fine.Melett Turbo Parts and Turbocharger Repair Kits
daki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in