Would value anyones comments - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-16, 07:56 PM   #1

Default Would value anyones comments

I wonder if you could give me any help or advice on two matters. This is for my 2003 406 2.2 HDi which is really clean and had done 88k. My previous identical car cleared 150k before I sold it and I've two concerns - the firs immediate.
1) the rear hub back plates are like a lace curtain- can you recommend any supplier of a new or good used parts please? (wierd this as the last car's were nearly perfect when I sold it on and the current car is rust free underside apart from these back plates)

2) This car's power is not as smooth as the previous one - a niggle. The engine must be good - it knocks out more mpg than the last and I paid to have the car and fuel system checked by a P. main dealer (- but in truth it was like visiting an asylum)
Where it's difference shows is between 1400 and 2000 rpm:- if accelerating hard the engine rumbles. Its not dreadful and by changing up gear above say, 1900 rpm or using a gentle accelerator I generally avoid concerns. However ,as a said , the previous car with 150k would pick-up like a dream from 1500rpm.
One more trusted non-Peugeot garage I lent the car to said the DM flywheel could be starting to go but they said it so slight I should try and live with it. Personally I wonder if one injector is playing up (a streak/scar on the inside of the plastic engine cover tells me that at some point the previous owner perhaps had a seal replaced on no. 3 injector.)
I'm a skilled apprentice served mech. engineer (1983) and can make/build nearly anything- but if you can help me with any of the above I'd be more than grateful

Regards

Nigel
7-up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-16, 09:31 PM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-up View Post
I wonder if you could give me any help or advice on two matters. This is for my 2003 406 2.2 HDi which is really clean and had done 88k. My previous identical car cleared 150k before I sold it and I've two concerns - the firs immediate.
1) the rear hub back plates are like a lace curtain- can you recommend any supplier of a new or good used parts please? (wierd this as the last car's were nearly perfect when I sold it on and the current car is rust free underside apart from these back plates)

2) This car's power is not as smooth as the previous one - a niggle. The engine must be good - it knocks out more mpg than the last and I paid to have the car and fuel system checked by a P. main dealer (- but in truth it was like visiting an asylum)
Where it's difference shows is between 1400 and 2000 rpm:- if accelerating hard the engine rumbles. Its not dreadful and by changing up gear above say, 1900 rpm or using a gentle accelerator I generally avoid concerns. However ,as a said , the previous car with 150k would pick-up like a dream from 1500rpm.
One more trusted non-Peugeot garage I lent the car to said the DM flywheel could be starting to go but they said it so slight I should try and live with it. Personally I wonder if one injector is playing up (a streak/scar on the inside of the plastic engine cover tells me that at some point the previous owner perhaps had a seal replaced on no. 3 injector.)
I'm a skilled apprentice served mech. engineer (1983) and can make/build nearly anything- but if you can help me with any of the above I'd be more than grateful

Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel a bit off topic here but you say it's a 2.2 HDI I've looked for your car on service but the 406 only comes with a 2.0HDI or 2.1TD among other lower cc diesel engines.the last 8 digits of your vin code will help me look further for your hub plates.

Last edited by hmsggg; 13-03-16 at 09:33 PM.
hmsggg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-03-16, 11:51 AM   #3

Default 2.2

not sure what you have but the 2.2 HDI 136BHP was certainly made from around 2000-2004. It was the caravan clubs tow car of the year one year. It features abs and discs all round

Old 14-03-16, 12:28 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-up View Post
not sure what you have but the 2.2 HDI 136BHP was certainly made from around 2000-2004. It was the caravan clubs tow car of the year one year. It features abs and discs all round
Its an official peugeot site is that your vin as you've left a digit out if it is bud
hmsggg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-03-16, 01:12 PM   #5
Ginger Magic

New back plates are available from a Peugeot main stealer for 90 each, second hand they are like hens teeth...
I'll get the part number for you when I'm at home on my PC.
If you add your location to your profile then maybe someone local can do diagnostic for beer tokens, this can identify injector issues etc.
Kelv.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-03-16, 08:28 PM   #6

..thanks , have updated my profile
Old 18-03-16, 12:15 AM   #7

Default back plates

Backplates

Ive now ordered a pair of back plates from klokkerholm today - through a uk agent they named- will be around 10 days. Massive saving on the old Peugeot main dealer price - although I suspect I'll have to salvage the forging which is the mount for the calliper.

Note main dealer say the back plates no longer sold
Old 18-03-16, 06:38 AM   #8
Ginger Magic

The caliper mounts are riveted on, just grind them off of the old backplates.

You will almost certainly need new rear hubs too as the old ones can break when removed, you need the 48 teeth version ( around 45 from local factors.. )
Old 21-03-16, 08:50 PM   #9

Default Back plates

thank for the advice - Ill change the hubs.

I saw you had a clutch change at an amazing price - was this the 2.2 car?
It would be good to know of any garage I could approach nr Bournemouth to get a comparable service

Regards

NGM
Old 21-03-16, 09:10 PM   #10
Ginger Magic

It was my 2.2 406, and I was lucky that a member on a different forum spotted the clutch and sent me a link, the flywheel was a Carparts4less LUK model but I used an online discount code

I would not use the garage I did for the clutch, my car hasn't been right since - I should have used my regular Pug mechanic but I tried to save a few pounds, which I regret...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in