when no start due to broken timing belt - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-08-14, 07:13 AM   #1

Default when no start due to broken timing belt

Hi mates,
My car getting no fuel, no spark and no injector operation, is it broken timing built which results in all these symptoms ?
in other words, if the timing belt broke, will cause:
1- no fuel pumping.
2- no spark firing.
3- no injectors operational.
4- All of these.
please give your opinions from your experience.
thanks in advance
lovepeugeot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-08-14, 07:28 AM   #2

I'd say Number 4

Fuel pump driven by timing belt so no fuel
Camshaft(s) driven by timing belt so no cam/crank synch so no spark
No synch so ecu doesn't know when to inject fuel or energise the plugs so no injectors working and again no spark.

It may not be the timing belt though, Immobiliser failing to unlock the ecu would give no spark and injectors not working though you would still get fuel. Easiest way to find out if it is the belt would be to undo one or two bolts on the timing belt cover, pull the cover back and have a look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-08-14, 07:40 AM   #3

thanks s lot for reply, my car is 406 2.0 16V RFV engine, does these engine have cam shaft sensor? or only crank sensor ??
to my knowledge, there is only crank sensor on the flywheel, in this case the flywheel spins by the starter motor and the sensor should sense this rotation although the cam shafts are not rotating. could you please explain the principle of this mechanism ?

Old 23-08-14, 10:34 AM   #4

RFR RFV type engines DO have a cam sensor BUT they will fire without it !!

Storeman is referring to a diesel engine though petrols are different I recon its immobiliser
Old 23-08-14, 02:22 PM   #5

dear reliable,
Mr. Storeman has mentioned plugs expressly, so he is obviously talking about petrol engines, I've been driving this car since 12 years and never heard of a camshaft sensor, there is only crankshaft sensor, and a speed sensor on the gearbox.
please concentrate and help me out, today I will check the timing built and let you know, Actually I used to replace yearly but this time I forgot and It's been almost 2 years of hard service.
BR
Old 23-08-14, 03:22 PM   #6

Store man mentions a fuel pump driven by the belt this applies to DIESEL only broken belt on petrol you can tell by cranking over it will spin MUCH faster as no compression spark is fed by ecu reading crank sensor so would still spark.
Old 23-08-14, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Store man mentions a fuel pump driven by the belt this applies to DIESEL only broken belt on petrol you can tell by cranking over it will spin MUCH faster as no compression spark is fed by ecu reading crank sensor so would still spark.
As in the Derv do the petrol models give you the key in ignition warning with the door open just thinking of the question you asked the other day
Old 23-08-14, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepeugeot View Post
dear reliable,
Mr. Storeman has mentioned plugs expressly, so he is obviously talking about petrol engines, I've been driving this car since 12 years and never heard of a camshaft sensor, there is only crankshaft sensor, and a speed sensor on the gearbox.
please concentrate and help me out, today I will check the timing built and let you know, Actually I used to replace yearly but this time I forgot and It's been almost 2 years of hard service.
BR
It's a long long time since I had a petrol engined car - in fact the last petrol engine car I owned had the fuel pump operated by the camshaft. My exposure to Peugeots is with diesel engines and didn't consider the fuel pump would be differently driven but generally when a member does offer incorrect advice, someone as experienced as reliable will correct it. I apologise for the misleading comment regarding the fuel pump on a petrol engine but in my defence, I did also point out that the immobiliser could possibly be a suspect as have others including reliable and that a visual check of the belt was the best way to be certain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-08-14, 06:39 AM   #9

Dear Mr. Storeman, Mr. Reliable,
thanks for the comment and explanation, well I've checked the timing belt yesterday it still in place and camshafts are moving along with starter motor, before I surrender to immobilizer possibility, I want to make sure whether this vehicle has a camshaft sensor ? and where could this sensor(s) located as it has 2 camshafts (XU10J4R) ?
I tried hardly to find a wiring diagram for the existing ECU (Bosch motronic MP5.2) but invain, the most similar I found is for (MP5.1.1) which i am not sure it has the same diagram, I have a PP-2000 diagnostic tool but it is not catching this ECU namely ECU not responding and this is common problem with this model as I can understand from other members threads.
could anybody offer me a useful advice ?
Old 24-08-14, 08:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagn View Post
As in the Derv do the petrol models give you the key in ignition warning with the door open just thinking of the question you asked the other day
Dear Mr. Jagn,
yes before it was playing and audio alarm when opening the door the key in ignition switch, now it is not doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in