What I did to my 406 today - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-12-16, 06:17 PM   #1

Default What I did to my 406 today

Finally made a start on replacing the turbo in one of my 2003 HDi wagons to complete the upgrade from a 90kW to (min)109kW. ECU has already been redone/reflashed by a handy skilled fella over in your part of the world, so hopefully will now provide more HP than the standard 109kW..

Last did a turbo replacement on a 406 about 4 years ago... had mostly forgotten what a pig of a job it is! But new one is finally in (plenty of blue fog around while doing it...) and just have to finish fitting the turbo pipes and a few other bits and pieces and give it a go. Here's hoping....

BTW, anyone have any tricks to make the turbo replacement less of a very painful journey? For future reference of course, have 4 of the buggers here.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-12-16, 06:25 PM   #2

Turbo is the worst job after the clutch

You wont need to change turbos very often though have you fitted an intercooler to get the best out of the extra boost.
Old 21-12-16, 06:38 PM   #3

Have done a clutch before too, very nasty job! But then most fwd cars are nasty to work on.

Yup, fitted intercooler, blanked EGR and removed Cat as well while I was at it. No DPF fitted so didnt have to deal with that fortunately.

Old 26-12-16, 07:45 PM   #4

Got it up and running, driving it for the first time since getting it, it seems to have good power but not sure if it is better than my other 406.

A scan with PP after driving it shows a permanent fault with clutch switch (maybe it does not have one?) but does have cruise, and PP says something about angle of egr flap wrong..? Trying to figure out this one as it does not have anything other than the vacuum operated valve in the exhaust which does not have any angle associated with opening/closing..? And which has been blocked off of course.

It does, however, have a number of obvious electrical problems... none of the windows work, mirrors are dead. But he oddest is that, after switching off, the centre clock display and the battery light remain lit. While pondering this I switched the overhead interior light to see if that was working and the charge light/clock panel switched off. Put the overhead light switch back to where it was and both come back on again.... and the overhead light does not work... Seems I will be chasing bad connections, earth faults, water under drivers side carpet etc. and trying to decipher the wiring diagrams to figure out where to start with the windows/mirror fault. Fun!
Old 27-12-16, 07:25 PM   #5

Am having a real battle with the wiring. My SEDRE only seems to offer one option for 406, no restyle/coupe etc on the initial screen. Then the second one does give the option of choosing engine (mine being DW10ATED), LHD/RHD, manual/auto, body style (sedan/wagon/coupe) but selecting my wagon options does not give me a wiring diagram that matches my car. Wiring codes under principle differ, the diagrams themselves are from a LHD vehicle which appears to also be a coupe (only 2 doors shown), and the installation diagrams are of a LHD sedan which does in no way help me locate critical components...

Could someone check on their SEDRE if they can access diagrams for a 406 wagon, RPO 9981, 5 door estate (not sure why I get 2 options here, 5 door estate and 5 doors family estate, what is the difference? I have tried both anyway, both seem to give the same result anyway.), right hand drive, DW10ATED motor, BVM5 transmission, ABS brakes, and see if the diagrams presented are in fact for a 5 door RHD wagon, not for a LHD, 2doorcoupe and 4door sedan.

Maybe my SEDRE is a very old version or incomplete and I need to get a later/better/more complete version?

Spent the whole afternoon trying to make sense of the window/mirror issues with no progress. Have also discovered that if I switch the overhead light from [ON] to [door switch activated] rapidly, the central locking tries to operate, so my problems are many and varied. Not having an accurate wiring diagram makes the job almost impossible. Grrrrr...
Old 03-01-17, 03:43 AM   #6

Can someone help with a fuse chart for this fuse box in the car? Despite my best efforts on this forum, several handbooks I have and on Google I cannot find anything to match this layout. Its VIN is VF38ERHYF81442556 if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in