Smell of gas / 406 model 2003 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-01-18, 05:45 PM   #1

Default Smell of gas / 406 model 2003

Hello, when i fill up my tank to the maximum, and get in the car after some hours, my car smells of gas. What could be the issue?
Hussein_hajj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-18, 06:19 PM   #2

Hi....gas?...exhaust gas?petrol fumes?diesel fumes?..perhaps you are filling the car and the weather (being hot)may make the fuel expand out of a tank breather...any sign of leaks under the fuel tank?...ps hi
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-01-18, 07:21 PM   #3

By gas i meant the fuel odor No leaks under the car, nor in the trunk or around it. This happens with me just when i completely fill up the tank, the smell goes away right after i move the car. And when the tank is 3/4 no smell is detected at all.. That's what is making me not sure about what's happening there
Hussein_hajj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 13-01-18, 08:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Possible hole in the filler neck?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-01-18, 08:12 PM   #5

Or a leak around the tank sender unit?
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-01-18, 09:51 AM   #6

Or a definite case of carbon di-backside ?

Grumpy
Old 14-01-18, 10:24 AM   #7

The most common cause of the smell of gas in any of my cars is egg mayo & ham sandwiches a few hours before!

But I'm going to go out on a limb and assume gas meaning fuel. if it does this every time you fill it, not just in hot weather, then first thing to look at is the area around the tank sender. Lift up the rear seat base on the left hand side of the car. you should see a very large plastic plug, about 15cm+ in diameter. remove this and you will see the tank sender, pipes and electrical connections. Look for any sign of fuel dampness anywhere. If there is around the top of the tank then suspect the rubber O ring that seals the sender to the tank. If it's in the top of the sender (it's a complicated plastic moulding with areas that will trap and puddle any fuel) then the suspect bit will probably be where the electrical connections come through the top of the tank.

Note. Due to a redesign of the fuel system for the HDi cars, a larger sender unit incorporating a first stage low pressure fuel pump was included. This meant a larger sender unit. However, peugeot didnt think it worth while to redesign the tooling that stamps out the floor pan, as a result the hole in the floor is too small to get the sender out. If you need to do this, you either drop the tank, which is a lot of hassle, or butcher the floor. The latter is done by making a series of cuts around the edges of the hole to create 'tabs' that can be bent up out of the way. If you lift the seat and find this has already been done then it means a previous owner has had this problem in the past.

If you have to remove the sender it's held in place with a large, screw on plastic locking ring. The sealing O ring may simply have been incorrectly seated as it can be quite fiddly to keep in place while the sender is dropped into position.

In the above I've assumed you have a HDi, it being the most common for that year car. I may be wrong though. It would help enormously if in future you include more details about the car.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in