Removing clutch slave on 406 2.1D help! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-03-14, 01:14 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Removing clutch slave on 406 2.1D help!

The Haynes manual tells me to push it in and turn 90 degrees anticlockwise but it just won't have it.
Any one got any ideas?
Red Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-03-14, 10:14 AM   #2

Instructions are correct but it does need a fair amount of force, try easing the metal clip on the side of the cylinder so it is freer to rotate, don't forget hydraulc hose has to be disconnected.
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-03-14, 01:32 PM   #3
Inactive User

According to Haynes the hydraulic system is a one piece sealed unit so I don't think I should take the hose off? It feels like the hose is free to turn.

I've got to lift the engine to remove a sheared off bolt that holds one of the auxilary belt idlers so I'll be putting the slave back once I've dealt with the bolt.

Old 22-03-14, 03:48 PM   #4

Can't see how you can rotate the slave cylinder without unclipping the supply hose as twisting the cylinder will bend the pipe, at least this is on my 807, your may be different!
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-03-14, 04:24 PM   #5

You CAN rotate without taking the pipe off it needs a bit of practice I can do them first try my son just cannot get them out

PUSH it in while trying to turn it.
Old 30-03-14, 01:57 PM   #6
Inactive User

I just did it! After many many many tries getting it off by hand I had a bit of inspiration and gently used a snap on strap type oil filter remover and a short breaker bar. Pushed it in, pulled on the breaker bar and with very little effort it was out. How do I make this information easily available to anyone trying to overcome this problem?
Old 08-05-14, 07:01 PM   #7

Default Does the forum have a do-it-yourself page ?

Good for you. I did this 2 years ago on my 2004 406 2.0 petrol. And fitted a new replacement, all in one complete hydraulic unit with hose. I agree it was a tight fit so fiddled a lot.
uiii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-09-18, 07:39 PM   #8

Hi - just a quick comment;
Rotate 90 degrees and pull off. Don't remember in which direction to rotate, 50% chance of getting it right first time. Doing it wrong is not possible since then it just don't rotate.

Applies to both master cylinder attached to clutch pedal and slave cylinder on gearbox. Master cylinder is a tight fit, there is not any room for hand to grab and rotate. What I did was to grind a slit off a (think it was) 32 mm 1/2 inch socket (ratchet/pipe). Looked a bit similar to tool for undoing a catalytic converter oxygen sensor. This I slit the socket onto the master cylinder and used the ratchet wrench to rotate. Worked first time. Used the same socket to fit the new master cylinder by pushing it in a rotate opposite direction from removal. Bobs your uncle - is'nt that so ?
uiii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in