Peugeot 406, fuelpump don't run. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-18, 07:57 PM   #1

Exclamation Peugeot 406, fuelpump don't run.

So i'm the owner of a Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI from 2001, since last year it has been standing still because I haven't had time to deal with it.
But i found some time to get to work at it again with my father, and we have made some progress.

That might have been part of the problem. So we switched the ECU and BSI with a 1999 model with the same parts number. But now the fuel pump won't run. Also we did some wirering repairs before we left it last year.

So we did some troubleshooting. First we tried giving the pump direct 12V from a battery to test the pump, and it seems fine. And with the pump getting direct voltage the car will start. But it still has some issues. With the pump running it can't go higher than 2500RPM with full gas, and it has trouble when reaching over 1500RPM. So it's driveable but it's not a great experience, and only a half solution.

Next I found an old thread where someone said he fixed this by making a wire going from pin4 to pin15 on the double relay. This would make the fuelpump go all the time the battery is connected, and it would have the same issues as the ones i described above.

So soon we will be going through the wires we repaired to make sure there are no problems with those, but i would still like to have some suggestions to what might be wrong with the car.

Any help would be greatly appereciated
Regards Marius
klinto75m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-18, 11:23 AM   #2

I've known a few 406s with bad fuel pump wiring.
Old 06-07-18, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I've known a few 406s with bad fuel pump wiring.
Gibbo, we have checked the wires running to the fuelpump, we fixed some of them last time, and we are going to check if we made a bad soldering.

But thanks for the contribution

Old 12-07-18, 02:16 PM   #4

Default A little further

Okay, so we've come a little further from the start of our problem.
We've checked all wires going from the ECU and double relay all the way to their connectors, by openining up the whole loom. All wires are fine, we tested them by ohming them.

We both have a Delphi tester and a PP2000. And it seems like the PP2000 can't be used in out specific senario. We tried to use it and it couldn't connect to the ECU and didn't give us any specific fault codes other than emailing some information to a email.

We then tried Delphi testing on the Diesel system in our 406. With that we came further. We found some periodic faulty codes and stuff. We were able to erase them and the pump is now running when we turn over the key. But the car is still unable to turn on.
And now it doesn't even help by shortening the pin4+15 on the double relay like it would before.
We now get a fault code named P1138, which indicates an open system and/or faulty ground connection.
And upon further inspection we saw that 1 of the wires to the fuel pressure rail sensor had cuts. So we'll try to fix that up as soon as possible to see if that is the last fault.

I've also done some research and there is a lot of suggestions to what can cause the error, and since we have a donor car we know worked(its eaten up by rust), we have can test by swaping some of the components.

Maybe someone else out there same some suggestions, I would love to hear from you.
I'll keep you guys updated
Old 12-07-18, 04:49 PM   #5

You say you swapped ecu sets over were the cars the same fuel system and same power output as wiring varies with fuel type bosch uses tank pump delphi does not.

110 hp cars are wired differently to 90s even if both bosch
Old 12-07-18, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
You say you swapped ecu sets over were the cars the same fuel system and same power output as wiring varies with fuel type bosch uses tank pump delphi does not.

110 hp cars are wired differently to 90s even if both bosch
Sorry if my post confused you. Both pumps in the cars were Bosch pumps. It is the Deplhi program i use with the tester. I both have the Delpi and PP2000 to test with.

But for now the problem is solved.

*PROBLEM SOLUTION*
We checked the whole loom going from the ECU to all the connectors. But after a closer inspection we took apart some of the connectors to the fuel pump and one of the sensors in the engine room. Inside some of the connectors were broken and the isolation were not covering the whole wire. So we cleaned them with some brake cleaner and used heatshrink to prevent them from touching. Now when we use the tester we don't have any errorcodes in Delphi, and the car can now turn on without any problems.

The only thing remaning is the clear up the wirering and assemble the car again and check if any other faults is wrong.

Thanks for all the help from the forum
(Gibbo were right, after all, it was a wirering problem)
Old 12-07-18, 05:03 PM   #7

Its ALWAYS wiring

When i was saying delphi and bosch i was talking the fuel systems not the computer
90 hp cars can have delphi OR bosch ALL 110s are bosch but 90 and 110 bosch ecus are not interchangeable i was not confused
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in