Peugeot 406 faults P0380 and P1519 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-03-18, 06:48 PM   #1

Default Peugeot 406 faults P0380 and P1519

Hello all wise people!
I seek your wisdom and knowledge once again.
The radiator fan on my 406 does not seem to work, i have two faults from pp2000.

P0380
Permanent fault. Fault. Pre/post heating relay circuit. Relay stuck.

P1519
Permanent fault, FRIC (Cooling function integral with the ECU). consistency between the fan speed and the setting.

My car:
Peugeot 406, 2003 HDI 2,0 109 HP

Any idea what is wrong? i read somewhere that most HDI engines have an active fault with the pre heating, i dont know if this is true, but the fault says that the relay is stuck. how can i fix these faults?

Thank you!
jonatansort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-03-18, 07:14 PM   #2

You can manually test the fan using PP2000. It can test both low and high speed fan. If it is faulty, I would connect a 12v supply directly to fan and see if it runs up. Then tackle the relay if the fan is ok. I have not had a faulty fan before but a couple with faulty relay.

Never had a 406 where the 0380 fault does not display in PP2000. You can run a manual check on the system... test each individual glow plug's resistance, all should be 1-2 ohms. Open circuit or high resistance indicates they are shot. Then connect up voltmeter to glow plugs and switch on ignition and see if you get a momentary supply to them.
If you dont have a dpf, I wouldn't really stress if the system doesn't work unless it gets really cold where you are. If your starter swings the motor over fast enough, you normally wont need the glow plug's assistance for starting.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-03-18, 07:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
You can manually test the fan using PP2000. It can test both low and high speed fan. If it is faulty, I would connect a 12v supply directly to fan and see if it runs up. Then tackle the relay if the fan is ok. I have not had a faulty fan before but a couple with faulty relay.
I have tried to test it using pp2000 already, but all i hear are relays clicking but fan is not running. Where do i find the cables to the fan? i have bad experience with connecting the battery directly to electronic parts on peugeot.

It does not get too cold where i live, the lowest this winter was -14 but that is not normal. ill try to measure the relay tomorrow and see what it tells me.
how do i know if my car has a dpf?

Last edited by jonatansort; 19-03-18 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo

Old 20-03-18, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatansort View Post
how do i know if my car has a dpf?
Look at the VIN number of your car. If it contain the letters "RHS", it has a DPF/FAP, if it contains "RHZ" it does not.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_EW/DW_engine#DW10 (sorry, can't post URLs yet ) gives is an overview of engine types.
Old 02-04-18, 07:20 PM   #5

I almost forgot about this thread, and my problems, haha.
Anyway, where can I find a wiring diagram for Peugeot 406 2003 2,0 HDI? I have no idea where I can connect the fan directly to power to check it's functionality. I hear the relay clicking when I test on PP2000 but fan is not running.
Old 04-04-18, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Anyway, where can I find a wiring diagram for Peugeot 406 2003 2,0 HDI?
I think this is the diagram you're looking for (see attached files below).

The meaning of the numbers can be found here: "https://tihlde.org/~peterm/ev/106%20&%20Saxo/Verkstedmanualer-PSA/Fransk/WIRING%20DIAGRAMS%20-%20GENERAL.pdf" (sorry, still can't post URLs)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fan Diagram 09586.zip (86.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-04-18, 01:25 PM   #7

Thank you! i will have a closer look at this on saturday.
Old 28-04-18, 07:41 AM   #8

Hello again, I have had a look again, and taken off the fan, also tried to apply voltage directly to the fan, nothing happens. There are four wires going to the fan, two supply wires I assume and two control wires?
I connected the fan and started the car, I was measuring 17v at the fan but nothing turning.
Also I have taken off all the relays in the relay box and tested them, and also checked the fuses, all good.
Is the fault with my fan or the control system?
Attached Thumbnails
img_20180427_182006_1524901163530.jpg   img_20180427_182034_1524901191191.jpg  
Old 07-06-18, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Hello again, I have had a look again, and taken off the fan, also tried to apply voltage directly to the fan, nothing happens. There are four wires going to the fan, two supply wires I assume and two control wires?
I connected the fan and started the car, I was measuring 17v at the fan but nothing turning.
Also I have taken off all the relays in the relay box and tested them, and also checked the fuses, all good.
Is the fault with my fan or the control system?
Hi Jonatan, did you solve this issue?

As a matter of coincidence, my radiator fan broke down a few weeks ago and i was able to repair it by replacing the fan motor. Or rather: i got a complete fan set + loom (including gray relay) at the breakers; part number in "Service Box" is 1253 E4 (see attachment).

The part as shown in the attachment does not show the gray relay, but you *must* have it. The relay was added later and a recall action was organized on models that did not have it, because they could catch fire! See also COOLING FAN MOTOR BURNING OUT?? - 406oc.co.uk which quotes:
Quote:
Dozens of fires involving 2002/3 model year 406 HDIs in 2003. Wiring went Multiplex. The control module for the front mounted engine cooling/air-con fan can start burning after being parked for several hours, though has also occurred while being driven. See recalls.

Recalls:...May 2003 TSB recalling HDIs because water can enter the electrics of the cooling fan. 13-5-2003: Safety recall for 2002/3 406 HDIs with Multiplex wiring as water may enter the under bonnet cooling fan control module, cause a short circuit and start and engine fire. Modified cooling fan assembly to be fitted.
The gray relay can be found just in front of the battery, tied to the battery box with a plastic clip which can easily be clicked open.

I think the root cause in my case was worn out brushes in the motor, but it was too much a hassle to open op the motor compared to simply replacing the complete set + loom.

Note that the diagram i posted previously is not the one for your car model, it is for older models. Your (and my) model have electronically controlled fans (no huge resistors involved in the fan speed control).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fan - Service box.zip (71.6 KB, 23 views)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in