Overheating - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-12-18, 08:07 PM   #1

Default Overheating

Hi guys am new to this site my problem with my peugeot 406 v6 is the cooling system my oil temperature when it reaches 120° the coolant that's to overheat coming out from the reservoir water bottle and you can even hear the sound of steam on the heater matrix in side the car how can I fix this problem I need help I took the car for a pressure test and the head gasket is fine they said it needs bleeding but I have done that but still now change or maybe am not bleeding it right and my radiator fans are always running even when the engine is cold the run fast at high speeds when oil temperature is at 120 and coolant gauge at 90'° please help I dnt want to kill my car.

Last edited by noddy-hol; 27-12-18 at 08:47 PM. Reason: moved to correct forum
Thabo78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-12-18, 09:49 PM   #2

The v6 engines are tough and i have never seen a failed head gasket i have however seen them overheat regularly

They can be hard to bleed the main one is the one on the heater pipes make sure thats well bled as once they get hot they take a long time to cool down there is also 1 on thermostat housing but i tend to leave that alone as it can break !!

It is best to bleed them from cold and you should get heat from heater within a couple of minutes running sometimes the thermostat can get faulty but not very often.
Old 29-12-18, 06:36 PM   #3

if you are confident - i'd recommend flushing the water system (there are risks as below).

You may have a build up of sludge , contaminates etc over the years, there's cheap engine flush solutions from Halfords etc. The 'crap' comes out of the car when you drain the system after the flush agent has been in the engine/water system (running) for say 20 mins (typical instructions on a flushing agent packet). Then you refill with new water and anti freeze and bleed the water system at same time (using any other good advice from this forum!) The 'gain' is, flushing often removes crap /debri from inside the radiator and you end up with a better cooled engine.
For best results upon refilling, use de-stilled water and a good anti freeze (which will include corrosion inhibitors to prolong the life of things like radiators and water pumps). Where many people go wrong is using tap water, to top-up the car over the years, which depending on where you live, may add thing to the car's water system you don't want. Many car manufacturers specify de-ionised or distilled water for the water system.

Before you refill the water system - if you can - carefully remove the bleed screws/caps and cover their threads with vasoline. This means they will not seize up in future years.

Risks
The main risk with adding a flushing agent is the unknown - for example- the head gasket has been leaking and or badly sealed /repaired before you got the car. The flushing agent will search old faults out and create a new leak (however it was good to see earlier advice that v6 heads are less likely to be faulty). Similarly if the radiator is near the end of its life a flushing agent may end its life! However some would say its better to finish its life on your drive way rather than when the car is racing down the motorway....

If it helps, this summer I ran a flushing agent through a 23-year old v6 Audi that had been laid up for 2 years. I was rewarded with some nice dirty water upon draining, and this 155,000 mile car is running well, its owner reporting no water leaks or faults.

I hope this helps
7-up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 29-12-18, 08:52 PM   #4
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

Note that the temperature marked on the gauge on the dash is not the actual temperature -- the numbers are only for decoration!

Is the radiator fan working? (Does it spin freely when you push it? Actuator test in PP2k?)
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in