Non starting 406 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-16, 02:45 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Non starting 406

Right where to start,firstly I have a 406 diesel which has been stood for a couple of months.
Now it wont start,battery fully charged,engine turns over but wont start.

Fuel up to the rail and up to the injectors (loosend the pipe and cranked engine fuel came out)

Tried a sniff of easy start and it fired but would not run.

As the 406 is new to me does any one have any suggestions please.

I dont have any fault codes yet as I dont have a reader.
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-16, 03:13 PM   #2

DONT open injectors to check fuel on common rail engines as this reduces the fuel pressure to zero and the ecu then stops the engine as it thinks there is a leak.

Key have you done ANYTHING to the key ?

coding is the key recognised this is the most likely problem next most likely problem is wiring under drivers carpet

Check the basics first dont go straight for the fuel system this is generally the least likely
Old 05-05-16, 04:30 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
DONT open injectors to check fuel on common rail engines as this reduces the fuel pressure to zero and the ecu then stops the engine as it thinks there is a leak.

Key have you done ANYTHING to the key ?

coding is the key recognised this is the most likely problem next most likely problem is wiring under drivers carpet

Check the basics first dont go straight for the fuel system this is generally the least likely
Ok Thanks for that,So what can I do if it is the key or to prove it is or isnt??

It is a straight forward key it has no buttons on it.

Last edited by spartacus; 05-05-16 at 04:54 PM.

Old 05-05-16, 04:54 PM   #4

Search the forum for non starting and the info is repeated constantly
Old 06-05-16, 07:00 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Search the forum for non starting and the info is repeated constantly
I may be extremely thick but I have done a search but cant seem to find anything specific.

To reiterate,The car has stood for a couple of months,When we came to start it the stater motor was not working so it was removed and repaired(cleaned)when the starter was put back on it worked OK But the car would not start.

With a sniff of Easy Start it would run for a couple of seconds and then stop .

The key with the car does not have any buttons on it so would this have an Immobiliser fitted??? .

Any ideas any one,other than to check the wiring under the carpet?

Spartacus
Old 06-05-16, 07:23 AM   #6

key in ignition turn on turn off leave key in open door car should beep.

Is there a key symbol on dash with a cross through it

Yes it has an immobiliser hence the key questions if you have no buttons on the key it may be an unchipped one hence it wont start

Age engine size power output are all relevant for diagnosis as there are at least 6 different engines and early cars have a keypad immobiliser system but ALL have immobilisers but im guessing since you mention rail its an HDI

This question regarding key in door open beep beep is asked daily you must have seen a mention of it in a thread.
Old 06-05-16, 08:17 AM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
key in ignition turn on turn off leave key in open door car should beep.

Is there a key symbol on dash with a cross through it

Yes it has an immobiliser hence the key questions if you have no buttons on the key it may be an unchipped one hence it wont start

Age engine size power output are all relevant for diagnosis as there are at least 6 different engines and early cars have a keypad immobiliser system but ALL have immobilisers but im guessing since you mention rail its an HDI

This question regarding key in door open beep beep is asked daily you must have seen a mention of it in a thread.
Hello again.
Thanks for the prompt reply,

The car belongs to a friend so I am unsure of the engine size ect.

But it has just come to light that they mislaid the original key and have tried using a spare (The one with no buttons)So maybe this is the problem as I dont know if they have used/started the car with this key.

As I have said Peugeot's are new to me so do not fully understand the workings of the system.

I will endevour to get them to find the original key and see what happens then.

Thanks again for the help and will let you know what happens.

PS It does not appear to have a sepearate key pad for an Immobiliser.

John
Old 06-05-16, 11:13 AM   #8
Ginger Magic

Hi John, you need the original key to start the car - it has a little transponder chip in the corner inside the case which is paired with the car - no chip, no start.

As reliable says, if their is no chime noise if you open the drivers door with the key left in the ignition, then the key isn't paired with the car.
spartacus likes this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-16, 04:24 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Magic View Post
Hi John, you need the original key to start the car - it has a little transponder chip in the corner inside the case which is paired with the car - no chip, no start.

As reliable says, if their is no chime noise if you open the drivers door with the key left in the ignition, then the key isn't paired with the car.
OK an update,

My friend has found the original key with buttons.Have tried it with this key and it will not start,The engine will turn over but will not fire up It is the same with either key.

I have tried the switch on/switch off open door and there are no chimes..

So would assume the key is not paired to the car,Next question how do you pair it??

I have checked the battery in the fob and it is showing a full 3volts.And the spare key the one without the buttons does have a transponder in it.

When you press the buttons on the key it does nothing no clicks,tones or anything.

Would it make any difference if the battery has been removed to charge it up ?

Starting to get a bit peed of with this car lol

Spratacus

PS it is a 2003 year.
Old 06-05-16, 05:28 PM   #10
Ginger Magic

It seems like the car has forgotten the sync with the keys, this can happen if the battery dies or is disconnected abruptly....

Your best bet is to contact a member here that could re-sync your keys, for beer tokens.

If you go to this page - https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/.../index462.html - and do 20 random posts, you will then be able to send a forum member near you a Private message for help.

The map of PP2000 users is here - http://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?...9sS9DbgNlsxGuk

Also, if you add your location to your profile on the left, someone may chip in and offer some help.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in