no oil when started up - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ginger Magic
  • 1 Post By Ginger Magic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-10-14, 11:49 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default no oil when started up

hello, new to the forum.
I just picked up a 2000 406 hdi 2.0 110. As it didn't have any service history I arranged for an oil and filter change. 128k on clock.
It was on ramps to make access easier to remove underside covers and sump plug. The guy then drained oil and reversed of ramps. He also swapped the fuel filter and turned engine over to bleed the pump (for a few seconds) both before he put the new oil in the engine. Will this have damaged the engine? someone has told me that even a few seconds running without oil harms it.
I used to have a 406 rapier diesel (think it was 2.0 hdi 90) many years ago as a lease car. In 3 years I put 167k on clock and never let me down other than a power sterring pump going at 115k. Still on original clutchwhen it went back so I know they are pretty bulletproof.
thanks for any answers/advice.
406hdi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-10-14, 11:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406hdi View Post
hello, new to the forum.
I just picked up a 2000 406 hdi 2.0 110. As it didn't have any service history I arranged for an oil and filter change. 128k on clock.
It was on ramps to make access easier to remove underside covers and sump plug. The guy then drained oil and reversed of ramps. He also swapped the fuel filter and turned engine over to bleed the pump (for a few seconds) both before he put the new oil in the engine. Will this have damaged the engine? someone has told me that even a few seconds running without oil harms it.
I used to have a 406 rapier diesel (think it was 2.0 hdi 90) many years ago as a lease car. In 3 years I put 167k on clock and never let me down other than a power sterring pump going at 115k. Still on original clutchwhen it went back so I know they are pretty bulletproof.
thanks for any answers/advice.
I would never even turn an engine over with no oil, to prime the fuel filter if it has a lift pump you don't even need to start you just turn ignition on wait a few secs and then off and on again, you will hear fuel pump in the tank
Old 28-10-14, 04:15 PM   #3
Ginger Magic

If this was done every day then I would imagine there would be some damage, however on this one occasion I should think a few seconds would be okay.

Every time you start the engine from cold there is no oil in it - its all in the sump - until a few seconds later when the oil pump has done its job...

Agreed on the pump though, its not necessary to turn the engine over - ignition on will 'prime' the engine...

Yes, in general the Hdi is a very tough engine..
mooi1uk likes this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 28-10-14, 04:47 PM   #4
Inactive User

thanks both, that is a relief.
I'd just never known anyone do that before when changing oil and filters. And the old fuel filter looked good when it came out so the car has probably been fairly well maintained. As it was a mate doing it I didn't want to ask him about this as it was probably a senior moment. Next time I'll it do myself and just borrow the ramps :-)

I'd almost forgotten how good the 406's were.
Old 28-10-14, 07:29 PM   #5
Inactive User

I wouldn't be a happy about it.
Without doubt unnecessary wear would have been done to your engine possibly thousands of miles worth
Get it serviced by somebody that has some mechanical knowledge next time.
rbaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-10-14, 12:46 AM   #6

Agree - I wouldn't be using him again.
What if it had started up and he forgot that he hadn't put any oil it and ran it to bleed any remaining air out of the system - doesn't bear thinking about really.
johnbrander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-10-14, 11:03 PM   #7
Inactive User

thanks for all the replies. I think it should be OK as did a 270 mile round trip without any problems today, but then I was driving a bit more gently than usual!!!!. Sounds like I've been fortunate. Averaged 45.6 mpg over last 1900 miles as well - very pleased with that.
I had a Toyota prius (company car - not by choice!!!) for 4 years and that only averaged 46mpg. That was possibly the least practical car I think I've had. A 14 yr old 406 beats it hands down in everything but road tax :-D
Old 29-10-14, 11:16 PM   #8
Ginger Magic

Just to add, I agree the mechanic was wrong to start the engine with no oil in it - not very professional - and I would consider changing garages.

However, I feel no damage has been done to your engine long term, and 45mpg for an older Pug is very good, I only get 42mpg but I don't drive that often nowadays so want to drive with 'enthusiasm' when I get in it...

It takes more than that to break the 2.0Hdi...
406hdi likes this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-10-14, 04:37 AM   #9
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Magic View Post
Just to add, I agree the mechanic was wrong to start the engine with no oil in it - not very professional - and I would consider changing garages.

However, I feel no damage has been done to your engine long term, and 45mpg for an older Pug is very good, I only get 42mpg but I don't drive that often nowadays so want to drive with 'enthusiasm' when I get in it...

It takes more than that to break the 2.0Hdi...
Actually I think 42mpg is good as well if you are driving enthusiastically. When I had the Rapier back in 2000 I averaged about 40mpg. But then I did hammer it in those days - regularly doing journeys to Glasgow and Newcastle with foot to the floor. It was having that car that made me a fan of the 406. That was definitely the most reliable car I'd ever had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in