New forum member, 406 HDi 90 ECU problems..... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-09-15, 11:01 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default New forum member, 406 HDi 90 ECU problems.....

Hello,

Just registered on this forum, but have been a lurker for many years and have found much useful information on this site, however my present problem is of a more serious nature that I would gratefully take advice on.

I recently bought a Peugeot 406 Hdi 90 estate, had a few electrical and mechanical gremlins to sort out, and it subsequently flew through an MOT, shortly aftwards the problems started.

A fault developed in the glow controller, this nearly melted the wire between the glow controller and glow plugs but I disconnected it from the glowplugs just in time. Fortunately it did not burn out the glow plugs.

However the engine management light came on, and it went into limp home mode. I got the car to a reputable garage, and they firstly diagnosed a faulty temp sensor, this was duly replaced but the problem persisted.

Next diagnosis faulty glow controller, this was replaced and the engine management light went out, but..............

............now the stop light is flashing (all the time), the dashboard temp sensor does not work (it did before), and the radiator blower fans are running constantly.

The car drives fine, but I obvoiusly want to cure this fault ASAP, the garage considers the ECU to now be faulty, as all of the wiring to and from the ECU has been metered out. They believe the fault in the glow controller has inflicted component damage in the ECU.

The garage has used a pucker fault diagnosis machine, and I trust their judgement 100%, having used them for many years.

Any advice on how to proceed from here would be appreciated, as it is now starting to get expensive.

As I see it my options are:

Send the ECU away for a diagnosis / repair

Get a s/h ECU, BIS, transponder chip and tansponder aerail.

P.S. The car is 03 plate and has a Siemens 3 plug ECU, and the faulty components were replaced using genuine Peugeot parts

Thanks in anticipation of any advice on the above.
Common Rail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-09-15, 12:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Rail View Post
Hello,

Just registered on this forum, but have been a lurker for many years and have found much useful information on this site, however my present problem is of a more serious nature that I would gratefully take advice on.

I recently bought a Peugeot 406 Hdi 90 estate, had a few electrical and mechanical gremlins to sort out, and it subsequently flew through an MOT, shortly aftwards the problems started.

A fault developed in the glow controller, this nearly melted the wire between the glow controller and glow plugs but I disconnected it from the glowplugs just in time. Fortunately it did not burn out the glow plugs.

However the engine management light came on, and it went into limp home mode. I got the car to a reputable garage, and they firstly diagnosed a faulty temp sensor, this was duly replaced but the problem persisted.

Next diagnosis faulty glow controller, this was replaced and the engine management light went out, but..............

............now the stop light is flashing (all the time), the dashboard temp sensor does not work (it did before), and the radiator blower fans are running constantly.

The car drives fine, but I obvoiusly want to cure this fault ASAP, the garage considers the ECU to now be faulty, as all of the wiring to and from the ECU has been metered out. They believe the fault in the glow controller has inflicted component damage in the ECU.

The garage has used a pucker fault diagnosis machine, and I trust their judgement 100%, having used them for many years.

Any advice on how to proceed from here would be appreciated, as it is now starting to get expensive.

As I see it my options are:

Send the ECU away for a diagnosis / repair

Get a s/h ECU, BIS, transponder chip and tansponder aerail.

P.S. The car is 03 plate and has a Siemens 3 plug ECU, and the faulty components were replaced using genuine Peugeot parts

Thanks in anticipation of any advice on the above.
first of all i dont mean to sound judgmental here but why ask for advice if you trust the garage 100%

if it was me i would get it diagnosed using planet or diagbox as other equipment does read codes wrong or misses some sometimes
Old 18-09-15, 05:28 PM   #3
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

Could it be possible that bad temperature data could make the glow plug controller think that it should be on when in fact it should be off?
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 19-09-15, 06:42 AM   #4

The temp sensor if fault or wiring maybe plug was not fully pushed home on sensor and has come off. If ecu sees no temp data it defaults to safe mode which put on stop light and rad fans run at full speed constantly
Old 19-09-15, 06:45 AM   #5

They may have checked cables with a meter did they visually check them as well maybe the melted wiring has affected temp sensor wire and it is now shorting out test meter may not identify fault
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in