Its got a mind of its own?? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise


Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-16, 09:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Old Pug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 872
Default Its got a mind of its own??

52 plate 406HDi AUTO estate.
Lovely old car with 160K no problems other than normal servicing and MOT stuff.

Starts and drives OK, BUT? a few times it will give out a beep or two,with the headlamps on main beam they will suddenly dip,then you have to work the switch a few times to get back to main,the wipers will suddenly start working,and it will suddenly change gear with a thump(auto).

Probably the steering column switch assembly and a reset?
But I thought I`ll ask you guys first. (over to you reliable406)
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-10-16, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: falkirk
Posts: 14,048
Default

Could be the underbonnet fusebox as all the things you mention run through it but it might just be a poor connection bad earth etc
__________________
assume nothing check everything twice !!
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-10-16, 10:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Old Pug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 872
Default

Update.

The car finally broke down.Nothing from starter motor,not even a click.Driver`s window stuck down,other windows not working,wipers not working,lights not working,only thing working were the dash lights when turning the ignition on.

In desperation my mate called the AA.The guy tried everything with his laptop,BSi reset (sort of?),spent ages with out any luck.

Then hit the starter motor with a big hammer,the car started and everything else came back to life.

You live and learn, exchange unit required.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 17-10-16, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
xlineiain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Lincolnshire. Up the Mariners!
Posts: 1,943
Default

A lad I used to work with had a ratty old short wheel base Toyota Landcruiser.
He kept a length of wood in the boot to smack the starter motor with every morning after work.
__________________
Not a Peugeot, but a Toyota GT86.
xlineiain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-10-16, 04:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bradford
Posts: 4,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pug View Post
52 plate 406HDi AUTO estate.
Lovely old car with 160K no problems other than normal servicing and MOT stuff.

Starts and drives OK, BUT? a few times it will give out a beep or two,with the headlamps on main beam they will suddenly dip,then you have to work the switch a few times to get back to main,the wipers will suddenly start working,and it will suddenly change gear with a thump(auto).

Probably the steering column switch assembly and a reset?
But I thought I`ll ask you guys first. (over to you reliable406)
sounds like the comm 2000 unit causing the lights problem
__________________
Great deals on car keys contact me 07599587119
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-10-16, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Old Pug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pug View Post
Update.

The car finally broke down.Nothing from starter motor,not even a click.Driver`s window stuck down,other windows not working,wipers not working,lights not working,only thing working were the dash lights when turning the ignition on.

In desperation my mate called the AA.The guy tried everything with his laptop,BSi reset (sort of?),spent ages with out any luck.

Then hit the starter motor with a big hammer,the car started and everything else came back to life.

You live and learn, exchange unit required.

The duff starter was just a coincidence,exchange unit fitted,all good,for a few days!! now its all gone wrong again and wont start.
The key fob button wont unlock the door,but it will with the blade.With ignition on there is a orange key symbol light on and the main headlamp beam is on?engine turns over but wont start,wipers,windows,side lights etc don't work,and its stuck in park, (auto).
An old Peugeot mate of mine suggested I lift up the carpet in the driver's foot well.?? I did and found the wiring loom and multi plugs in 2 inches of water !!!
cracked it,I thought. All dried out,clean out multi plugs,tin of WD40 etc etc,Still the same!!
So has all this electrical shorting underwater caused the key to loose its memory? buggered the BSI ? or what ever?
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-10-16, 08:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: falkirk
Posts: 14,048
Default

I thought that would be the case as the initial post did not seem like just a starter.

usual questions now does it beep key in door open probably not

Have you made sure all the wires in the plug are still ok and not rotten inside the insulation and check the earth wires on the sill area too

Reset the bsi and try again checking for key recognised chime if not recode key codes do get lost in these cicumstances.
__________________
assume nothing check everything twice !!
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-10-16, 03:28 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlineiain View Post
A lad I used to work with had a ratty old short wheel base Toyota Landcruiser.
He kept a length of wood in the boot to smack the starter motor with every morning after work.
I just remember what Jeremy (Top Gear) did with the hammer when every 'engineering' effort is useless....

That's may be just coincidence, the problem is that the carbon is already worn and stuck or not contacting the rotor...
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.