Fuel system wiring diagram help if poss? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-12-18, 11:15 AM   #1

Default Fuel system wiring diagram help if poss?

Greetings all

My 2003 53 plate D9 406 HDI 110
Vin VF38ERHZF81623910

has been dead for a month now after cutting out and dying. Replaced crank sensor, tested the cam sensor, bashed the in tank fuel pump with a hammer which made it run for 10 seconds, replaced the pump, didnt start at all after that, replaced the engine fuse box so I am down to the high pressure pump or a corroded wire unless I have missed something. This and 406oc (I am pugnut on 406oc so if you have read my rants on this already, apologies)forums on this topic suggest wiring to be the most likely culprit but I cannot find a diagram that matches the wire numbers and colours. I am trying to narrow it down to the injection system and getting nowhere fast. Can anyone post me the correct wiring diagram for my vee-hicle? Thankyou most kindly in advance.
Pugnut406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-12-18, 03:40 PM   #2

Basic wiring is the same on any peugeot have you checked under the carpet common issue
Old 24-12-18, 04:05 PM   #3

I read your post on 406oc. Questions...

When cranking the motor with PP2000 running, are you getting cam/crank sync=yes?
Are you seeing cranking RPM > at least 250 rpm?
Is the ecu registering as being unlocked?

Without the above, it will NOT start.

As Reliable says, look under the carpet on driver's [rhs] side. Corrosion of the plugs there is a very common cause of starting/running issues [among others]. I have cut those plugs out and directly joined the wires with solder/heatshrink on a large number of 406's. Water gets to them and corrodes the wires and plugs.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 28-12-18, 02:44 PM   #4

No cam/crank sync
0 rpm
0 bars pressure (anywhere).

I cranked a couple of times for a good few seconds and the values do not change.

Haven't a clue as to how I find out if the ECU is unlocked.

Also

wiring under carpet absolutely sopping! There is a 16 way connector that goes to the dash loom - several pins corroded, a ten pin connector with 3 wires in 6 wires out with two wires actually so corroded they were not even connected anymore (scotchlocked these) and two 2 pin connectors - all orange wires. Havent snipped the worst ones yet (its getting dark) but will temporary scotchlok them tomorrow.

Might I add the numbers on the wires in the footwell are mostly illegible, and those that aren't have a number that "does not exist" using the e manual tool. unlike the ones in the engine fusebox

As for the wiring - I am presuming I have a 2000 eec depoll engine? Anyone know how i would find out? Its definitely RHZ with a Dw10ATED engine but I am failing miserably to find any diagam with any similarity to the wiring that goes to the engine fusebox. And the diagram says its a 34 fuse unit but there are only 18 plus the six/eight(?) maxi fuses underneath.

I mean I think numbering all the wires is a great idea but the diagram and my car bear no relation to each other. I'd say maybe I am reaqding it upside down or something but for the fact that I am viewing the diagram on a computer. And I thought the Haynes diagrams were bad!!!

Also looking for the double injection relay. I know what one looks like but its location is a mystery - can't find it anywhere!

Still here? Sorry about the rant. All off me chest now. All help, hints, suggestions, encouragement or even insults very welcome.
Old 28-12-18, 06:01 PM   #5

I have tried looking up your vin in servicebox but comes up as vehicle unknown.

Orange wires in 2 pin connectors are airbag/tensioner related.

When wires become corroded like yours, the wire often becomes corroded well up the plastic insulation sheath which will not give a good connection if joined. You need to clean the copper with a solder cleaning paste to ensure a proper connection. Wire colours are mostly risky to go by, unfortunately the only sure way to match wiring is by the numbers. I would cut the plugs out completely. They are only really there to split the loom to aid assembly in the factory. Solder them back together, scotchlocks are not a reliable way of joining wires together.

Until you have properly sorted the wiring under the carpet, it is pointless looking elsewhere. Get it done, then do the BEEP TEST. Only once you get the key recognised by the BSI/ECU will the car be likely to start. Once the key is recognised, the ecu will unlock when cranked and the cam/crank sync and rpm should show if the wiring/sensors to the cam/crank are good.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-12-18, 07:42 PM   #6

To be honest even locked the ecu would show data if it has power so you need to do as above fix ALL broken wiring then get the key recognised there are no shortcuts i had 1 of these a few years ago peugeot dealer could not fix it as computer would not talk to it they reconed new ecu and BSI owner said no chance i had it a week sorted wiring under carpet earths under bonnet a few minor things here and there and it has run fine ever since that was probably 3 years ago !

Its ALWAYS wiring

Double relay is in beside the ecu on a 406
Old 28-12-18, 09:25 PM   #7

Thanks Will. I tried the beep test - it does indeed beep. (Phew!! I have no pin code so that would have been a bit of a squeak obtaining one with the vin not recognised!) Thanks for the advice on corrosion, cant really do any soldering where it is at the moment as I would be working in the middle of the street with cars whizzing past inches from me bum. I will engage some push power and get it moved to my drive tomorrow and set about the bugger. Lets see uhh sixteen loom wires plus three plus two plus two is uhhh ... well that's my morning gone for sure. Another exciting episode tomorrow no doubt.
Old 28-12-18, 09:46 PM   #8

Bin those scotchlocks too they are useless strip back the wires twist them and tape them i prefer not soldering as the wires tend to then break at end of soldered joint !
Old 28-12-18, 11:11 PM   #9

The scotchloks were to hand and I had nothing to losešŸ¤£. Besides, twenty odd scotchloks would have made the carpet look a bit lumpy. I must admit, the strip, twist and insulate method appeals on account of it being quicker than soldering.
Old 29-12-18, 05:10 PM   #10

Writing as I sit here in the dark in the pug, all plugs cut out and binned, wires all spliced to the best of my ability. Wires were mostly in good condition except for the ones connected to the bottom left hand pin of the 16 pin connector. Had to cut back maybe an inch and a half to expose non corroded wire. She still wont start. Ok lets fire up pp2000 shall we? Again we have 0rpm no cam/crank sync and 0 bar fuel pressure after a couple of sufficiently long crankings. After cranking I could hear
one of the relays that reside inside the engine fusebox buzzing constantly. I will trace which fuse it serves tomorrow. Its too dark now.

There is no double relay in with the ECU but there IS a short loom, separate to the ECU harness, which plugs into a 6 pin connector, which then loops back out into the main harness. I am guessing this is where the double relay used to be? Gawd knows where it is now. I cant find the bugger!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in