Engine RPM and speed dropping uphill after 1hour+ drive - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-02-14, 10:46 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Engine RPM and speed dropping uphill after 1hour+ drive

The car is a 2000 1.8l petrol 110hp 406 station wagon.

These past 6 months I've been taking a few long-ish trips to my sisters (250km and 400km in mostly 80-100km/h), and I've noticed that in long kind-of steep hills the car has problems keeping the speed of 80 - 90km/h in 5th gear (5-speed manual). Both the RPM and the speed will steadily decline (at a very slow rate, but decline non the less).
I can press down the throttle, but nothing really happens. I hear a slightly (and I mean *slight*) increase in engine sound when I press it, as if it's trying to work harder, but unable.

If I try a similar hill just after the engine's gotten to operating temperature, it manages it fine in 5th.

A mate of mine said it sounded like the engine had been "driven to hell" (most accurate translation I can think of at the moment), the only owner before me was a 60 year old man - he was just under 50 when he bought it.

It has 238k km on the clock, timing belt changed at around 220k.
FWD, as most Peugeots seem to be.

Is it that simple, that the engine has lost so much power in the 14 years it's been on the road that it simply can't traverse steeper hills in 5th?
At 80km/h in 5th, the rpm is at 2.5k-ish.

Wheels have been new summer and (studded) winter tyres, standard spec, with the specified air pressure (2.3 front and 2.4 back).
Ahielia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-02-14, 07:16 PM   #2

Diagnostic in order.
waynebrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-02-14, 08:06 PM   #3
Inactive User

I'm in the southern part of Norway, so I'd be better off going to my local Peugeot garage as there's no one near me.

Old 13-02-14, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahielia View Post

Is it that simple, that the engine has lost so much power in the 14 years it's been on the road that it simply can't traverse steeper hills in 5th?
At 80km/h in 5th, the rpm is at 2.5k-ish.
I doubt it's this. My 406 was a 2001 1.8 petrol. I sold it to my brother and it now has over 130k miles / 200k km on it, and it's still as sweet as a nut.
I think you need to get it plugged in to see if anything is amiss.
Knowing Peugeots I'd like to guess it could well be something small and electrical, like the MAF or similar.
Old 13-02-14, 10:26 PM   #5
Inactive User

Yeah, I'll go to the garage a bit later. When my ABS-light came on, one of the mechanics plugged a cable into my car, and in a minute it was shown as a faulty sensor on one of the front wheels.

Is this a fault/error that would normally come up with those programs? Or is it something that has to be searched/scanned for manually?

I'm still sort of confused as to why this only happens on the longer trips.
When going to work today (alternate route), I had travelled 10 minutes in 40-50 zones, a couple of minutes in an 80-zone, and when road split at the start of a 90-zone, I had no problem overtaking another car in 5th going from 90 to 110 quite rapidly, on a hill that would normally give me trouble on longer trips.
Old 14-02-14, 07:30 AM   #6
pr1vatepiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahielia View Post
Yeah, I'll go to the garage a bit later. When my ABS-light came on, one of the mechanics plugged a cable into my car, and in a minute it was shown as a faulty sensor on one of the front wheels.

Is this a fault/error that would normally come up with those programs? Or is it something that has to be searched/scanned for manually?

I'm still sort of confused as to why this only happens on the longer trips.
When going to work today (alternate route), I had travelled 10 minutes in 40-50 zones, a couple of minutes in an 80-zone, and when road split at the start of a 90-zone, I had no problem overtaking another car in 5th going from 90 to 110 quite rapidly, on a hill that would normally give me trouble on longer trips.
Depends on the kit he is using.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-07-14, 10:30 PM   #7
Inactive User

Haven't arsed getting it checked out, because it's very rarely a problem, and I'm going to get a new one soon, but I did start thinking about something the other day.

My 406 has a rather bad clutch, it grips when the clutch pedal is almost all the way out. Could it be that simple, a bad clutch is making it sluggish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in