Engine management light on--then goes into limp mode - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-14, 12:21 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Engine management light on--then goes into limp mode

Hello,

I'm giving this car one more go, and before I try anything, I am after some advice/what to look for/try - as a last 'one shot' attempt to fix this!

It seems shortly after an oil change 10w 40 and Redex oil treatment to have developed this problem but could just be coincidental - engine starts fine, 5 mins after that (when engine heats up) the management light comes on, then car goes into 'limp mode' then, sound like it's misfiring.

Now, I noticed oil around one of the plugs, (front bank under oil filler) which happened after an oil change, due to worn seal, but that's been fixed now, and on further inspection noticed a leak from the back rocker cover, which seems to have just happened - could this be my problem?

I was going to try an oil change to 5w 40 with stop leak, and then maybe nip the rocker up a tad to see if that cures the problem -- any help would be appreciated.

Regards

[CENTER]YEAR 99[/CENTER]

[CENTER]VIN: 80928663[/CENTER]
ThorsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-14, 02:55 PM   #2

remove the coil pack and drain the plug holes they may be full of oil/water this causes a misfire but not normally an engine light.

Rocker cover leaks are normal on this engine its the heat that causes it rare to see a really dry one

My espace uses the same engine and I have to drain the plug holes monthly if it rains due to drainage issues meaning rainwater fills front bank with water
Old 04-08-14, 01:37 AM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
remove the coil pack and drain the plug holes they may be full of oil/water this causes a misfire but not normally an engine light.

Rocker cover leaks are normal on this engine its the heat that causes it rare to see a really dry one

My espace uses the same engine and I have to drain the plug holes monthly if it rains due to drainage issues meaning rainwater fills front bank with water
Thanks for this advice, will check but sure they should be clean.

Cheers

[CENTER]YEAR 99[/CENTER]

[CENTER]VIN: 80928663[/CENTER]
ThorsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in