Diesel pump problem? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-08-16, 04:54 PM   #1

Default Diesel pump problem?

Hi,

I have a 406 HDI 2.0 90 HP, 2002 modell, some days ago I started the motor and when I pushed the throttle the motor died... I tried to start it... no action...

I checked the motor and the hand pump for diesel above the motor was not hard, I tried to pump.. and restart no action.. I pumped even more... and then started the motor. Next day the motor started and I drive aorund the whole day started and stopped serval times without any fails...

Today the motor wouldent start... And tried to hand pump, but it dident helped... I tried to disconnect the tubing and tried to start the motor, there was not coming any diesel out from the pipe? damage pump in the fuel tank ?

These afternoon have I open the cover for the pump in the fuel tank, I tried to measure on the cabels, when the key is on I got 11-12v betwen 1 and 3 (see attached picture), and when I switch of it goes to 0v. When I try to start the engine and while monitoring I havent found voltage on different cabels... ???

What now?

I can try to connect 12v direct to the pump from the battery? To test the pump? I shall hear it running? What terminals shall I connect 12v to?

Can you see from the picture what type of pump I have, brand?

Thank you verry much for using time to read about my issue,
I will be really happy if we can fix these together

See you
Attached Thumbnails
img_2864.jpg   img_2867.jpg   img_2868.jpg   img_2870.jpg   img_2872.jpg  

gordone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-08-16, 05:49 PM   #2

I am getting sick of saying this if you have a hand primer

YOU DO NOT HAVE A LIFT PUMP

The wires are fitted to ALL cars even if they dont have the pump !!
Old 29-08-16, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
I am getting sick of saying this if you have a hand primer

YOU DO NOT HAVE A LIFT PUMP

The wires are fitted to ALL cars even if they dont have the pump !!
hehe I understand, thank you for the information

How can i come further inn the troubleshooting?

Can it looks like I have a air leak?, since the hand primer is not hard? But why was the car working whole weekend...?
I have read about people who has installed return valve, because of high pressure pump is not working correct as a cheap fix?
Something about a ball inside the pump who can gang and not close for air?

Last edited by gordone; 29-08-16 at 06:02 PM.

Old 29-08-16, 06:54 PM   #4

Hi....put everything back as it was and start again....the priming bulb only stays hard after initial priming after that the high pressure pump becomes a suction pump.There are many reasons why it wont start...blocked filter...air leak...poor starter motor....poor battery..Lots of checks to do before you start to add non return valves and introduce another fault....Whereabouts are you..?
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-08-16, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
Hi....put everything back as it was and start again....the priming bulb only stays hard after initial priming after that the high pressure pump becomes a suction pump.There are many reasons why it wont start...blocked filter...air leak...poor starter motor....poor battery..Lots of checks to do before you start to add non return valves and introduce another fault....Whereabouts are you..?
For your information the motor stops after is has started.

Shall det primer pump be soft 2-3 seconds after you have stopped pumping without trying to start the engine?
I have a feeling diesel going backwards...

- Battery is OK
- Start motor is OK
- Cannot not understand the filter is blocked, when I push the hand primer the diesel goes easy through diesel filter.

When you push the hand primer, shall you hear the sound of air go out?
If i constant push the pump I can hear the air leaking out constant, normal? If these is not normal must I try locate where the air is coming from.

Since I don`t got any indication on fault in the car has not the ECU disovered the problem?

I need some help to divide up the issue so I can go after it, are blind now

Will not add any return valve

Last edited by gordone; 29-08-16 at 07:58 PM.
Old 29-08-16, 08:22 PM   #6

Basics have you enough fuel in the tank ? do not trust the gauge !!

yes primer will go soft once you stop priming air going through same possibility as above check for fuel
Old 29-08-16, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:

yes primer will go soft once you stop priming air going through same possibility as above check for fuel
Thank you for the replay.

First time these problem accour was on Friday, and after I got the engine to run again I have runned whole weekend without filling gas, like 5000-7000meteres was I driving in the weekend. If the level was low on Friday it sholden`t be possible to drive the whole weekend.
Old 31-08-16, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:

Why do people constantly ask for advice / help then totally ignore or come up with a reason why they shouldn't bother checking what people have suggested ?

At least have the courtesy to check what has been suggested then report back that it is either ok or not rather than just dismiss a suggestion out of hand. Also, has anything been done to the car recently that you haven't felt the need to mention to us?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in