D9 406 HDI BSI/Airbag issue troubleshooting - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-01-18, 06:39 PM   #1

Default D9 406 HDI BSI/Airbag issue troubleshooting

Hi all,

Hoping someone here might be able to suggest my next steps in hope of troubleshooting and resolving a persistent air bag fault on my 2004 406 HDI please?

Fault symptoms are as follows:
AIR BAG and passenger air bag disarming amber warning lights are both permanently illuminated.
LCD displays - 'Airbag defective' and 'passenger airbag neutralized' warning messages on start up.

PP2000 diag global test reports permanent fault with BSI comms on wire data of the comfort VAN, air bag ECU and rain sensor.
The global and by function test both fail to communicate with the air bag ecu.

I've replaced the air bag ecu and passenger disarm switch in the centre console with second hand units to no avail. Which then took me to attempting to reset/reboot the BSI. I'm now stuck having followed to the letter one of the many guides on the internet, after reconnecting the battery switching the sidelights on doesn't seem to generate the audible 'bong' prior to inserting the key and switching on the ignition.

Does anyone here know if the later models have a different BSI reset procedure? Or is there a way to tell when the BSI was last successfully reset? Or any suggestions on next steps to try and fix the faults?

Thanks in advance.
boxer_flat4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-01-18, 06:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer_flat4 View Post
Hi all,

Hoping someone here might be able to suggest my next steps in hope of troubleshooting and resolving a persistent air bag fault on my 2004 406 HDI please?

Fault symptoms are as follows:
AIR BAG and passenger air bag disarming amber warning lights are both permanently illuminated.
LCD displays - 'Airbag defective' and 'passenger airbag neutralized' warning messages on start up.

PP2000 diag global test reports permanent fault with BSI comms on wire data of the comfort VAN, air bag ECU and rain sensor.
The global and by function test both fail to communicate with the air bag ecu.

I've replaced the air bag ecu and passenger disarm switch in the centre console with second hand units to no avail. Which then took me to attempting to reset/reboot the BSI. I'm now stuck having followed to the letter one of the many guides on the internet, after reconnecting the battery switching the sidelights on doesn't seem to generate the audible 'bong' prior to inserting the key and switching on the ignition.

Does anyone here know if the later models have a different BSI reset procedure? Or is there a way to tell when the BSI was last successfully reset? Or any suggestions on next steps to try and fix the faults?

Thanks in advance.
a thought on this check the 5 wires going into the gray connector at the back of the comms unit as if one of them broke it can cause strange problems like this as i have had it before
Old 31-01-18, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
a thought on this check the 5 wires going into the gray connector at the back of the comms unit as if one of them broke it can cause strange problems like this as i have had it before
Thanks for your reply, just to clarify is the grey connector accessible from the drivers foot well without the need to strip out the whole BSI gubbins? and guess this needs to be done after 3 mins to allow the BSI to go to sleep with the battery disconnected?

Old 08-02-18, 04:23 PM   #4

For future reference if it helps other forum members; thanks to trustme's suggestion I managed to trace this fault back to water ingress on the BSI primarily on the lower right 26-pin blue multiplug (lower right side of the BSI)

I'm now take the route of sourcing a replacement virgin BSI and figuring out how to program it to the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in