Coolant leak in my 406 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ginger Magic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-12-14, 07:24 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Coolant leak in my 406

I have driven this car all its life, love my Puegot 406. All okay until heating went to cold. Put 3Litres liqiud in [ first time ever], it then sat overnight no problem. I drove it for 2Hrs the next day everything okay. The next morning all the liquid had come out into the engine and beyond. Any suggestions please and is there a mobile mechanic - White Knight- in the Manchester area. Thanking you
Joany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-14, 07:37 PM   #2
Ginger Magic

Hi, welcome to the club.

I also really like my 406

If you have an early model ( before 1999 ) the likely suspect is the bottom radiator hose as it was a poor design, if you have a later model then check the filler cap as they need to be on very tight to stop water coming out under pressure.

Can you see where its coming from, as in when the engine is running can you see any steam/bubbles etc?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-14, 08:01 PM   #3
Inactive User

Hi, glad to be in the club. I have the pre. 1999 and you have made me a very happy Lady as PC RAC, suggested it was the radiator but I suspected a hose given the volume that pours out, no steam or bubbles but then again it is quite difficult in snow/fog/ice/ monsoons to get a very clear picture!!

Old 29-12-14, 08:11 PM   #4
Ginger Magic

Okay - the bottom hose is a plastic type fixing and a bit prone to failure.

I don't think it is an easy one to patch up either, sorry.
Old 10-11-15, 08:00 PM   #5
Inactive User

Default Thanks and what is significance of pre 1999 406

Long time in replying and thanking you!! With your expert help I found nice mechanic, identified that the problem was at the base of the metal pipe as it went into the radiator. He puored in two "wraps" and it has been perfect since. I think it was caused by a giant wack on a very high kerb.
I said the car is pre 1999 and you thought the pipe was plastic, it is metal but I think it was registered earlier for company tax and I now need to replace some door seals, sitting in a lot of water and at 50.00 each I need to order correctly.
I have the new model that was issued when? Please.

Last edited by Joany; 10-11-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-11-15, 08:27 PM   #6
Ginger Magic

I'm glad its sorted - the metal piece that failed, is this a sort of flattened tube as a member on a 406 forum has just had a leak on his car.....
http://www.406oc.co.uk/download/file.php?id=2873&t=1

As for door seals, they are all the same post 1998 so any model should fit but first I would check the following;
1) Do you have a sunroof, the drain tubes get blocked and water pours in by the headlining.
2) If you have a saloon then the rear lights can let in water as the seal perishes - refit with a bead of silicon fixes it.
3) Check the holes at the bottom of the doors - the door is designed to let water down inside the door ( behind a plastic membrane ) and out through the drain holes - if these are blocked the water will fill up the door and leak into the car.
4) The door seals can let water in, a quick fix it to put a small cut into the bottom edge, near the middle but on the outside edge which will 'guide' the water towards the outside of the car, not the inside.

I can't stress how important it is to get the water out and dry the area, as the 406 has the brilliant* idea of running a vital and water sensitive connector under the carpet - its vulnerable to electric gremlins if this gets wet. The carpet has about 2" of foam behind it, so while the top of the carpet may dry out, under the carpet could be a lagoon......
trem1 likes this.
Old 11-11-15, 10:19 AM   #7
Inactive User

Default Many Thanks

Hi and hope I can help, the flattened pipe goes to a round pipe which then goes into the radiator. The leak was at the base of the round pipe at its junction with the radiator, which I think was caused by a massive thump from underneath as I hit a very high kerb. It took about 4 weeks to show. I will now hopefully start to dry my car. Once again Thank You!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in