Backplates - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-05-14, 10:30 PM   #1

Default Backplates

Has anyone had problems with the rear backplates?,my 406 99 mk2 ones have all but gone and the real problem is the holes for the hold down pins for the handbrake shoes are not holding the shoes and the pin/springs keep falling into the drum and thats no good.

Are they available from dealer?....I know I can ring one but just wondered if anyone has had this problem.thanks.
northyorkspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-05-14, 10:46 PM   #2

convert to discs
Old 16-05-14, 06:27 AM   #3
Ginger Magic

This is very common on the 406, second hand ones are hard to find.

New they are about 90 each, and you need to remove the hub/bearing to replace the backplate. I was lucky enough to have good ones on my donor car, which I had galvanized and painted.

If you are struggling, you can get a thin gutter bolt ( slightly countersunk ) put this through the spring/shoe/backplate and put a nut and washer on the back. Not too tight as the shoe needs to move.

Its a relatively good fix that will last ages.
trem1 likes this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 16-05-14, 10:28 PM   #4

Hello,thanks for the replies...thats a good idea Ginger....I have done a similar trick by using those washer things with a slit for the pin to lock in...what a pain to get it to hold though,your idea sounds better.I rang local dealer today and yeah 90+ inc VAT each....you would have thought they would have made em galvn or something instead of tin!

Last edited by northyorkspaul; 16-05-14 at 10:31 PM.
Old 16-05-14, 10:36 PM   #5
Ginger Magic

They have a sort of plastic coating on them, although it doesn't last 15 years....

It is a bit tricky putting the nut on the back, but worth doing.

If your rear bearings fail, its a good time to remove your backplate and either fix it with weld and treat it to some rustproofing, or buy new ones. The handbrake cable will be rusted into it so you may need those too....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-05-14, 10:51 PM   #6

Cheers for that...I replaced the hubs/bearing when I got the car 6 years ago...I should have done the backplates then perhaps.I will use the bolt trick for now.Also the blinkin air con comp is rattling a bit so guess its on its way out...plus the aux belt has stripped a narrow piece off....but for a 15 yr old with 235,000 mls on it....it drives/looks nice!....thanks.
Old 29-07-16, 11:54 AM   #7
Inactive User

Hi Paul,
Not sure if you still have your 406, but I was wondering, did you have issues with the handbrake being useless?
If so, did it improve once the backplates were replaced/fixed? And did you have to replace the cable too - was this seized in its liner?

Thanks for any help!!
Cheers
John
Old 15-09-16, 09:57 PM   #8

Default backplates and handbrake

I'm not sure which 406 you have but if it has rear disks we forget the handbrake actually works using a separate set of drum brake shoes within the hub on the brake discs - and these (unlike my 1982 datsun) are not self adjusting. Its an easy job to adjust the handbrake shoes :

-chock the car wheels and let handbrake off
-jack up a rear wheel, remove wheel
-remove small rubber bung in hub of brake disc facing you .
-With a torch through the newly exposed hole you will see some teeth or large splines.
-place a flat blade screw driver through the hole and catch the edge in the splines to rotate the shaft they are on (I cant remember which way but try each way , rotating the wheel hub by hand at the same time until you find the hand-brake shoes nipping and stopping the wheel hub turning. -
-Apply handbrake to resettle the shoes
-Adjust again if need be to get a very light nip
-done

Hope this helps
7-up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-09-16, 10:13 PM   #9
Inactive User

Hi 7-up,

Thanks for the reply, that handbrake adjustment is what we've already tried but the handbrake remains poor. After adjustment as you describe, the handbrake does improve but not significantly.
Hence the comment on the cable as that is now an advisory on my car but up till now has been judged ok, so I was wondering if there was a definitive reason for the handbrake being poor - it would be nice if there was an easy fix...!!
For some reason, some 406's seem to have poor handbrake, it's common enough to show up as a regular flaw in the car, but no one seems to actually know why, and some cars are either unaffected by it or their drivers literally don't notice that the handbrake is poor but I cannot believe that many otherwise good drivers could be misjudging their handbrakes - so there must be some hardware issue that can be fixed - either through wear of a component or a component which is not doing it's job properly or has been misfitted but not identified.

I would be interested to know how old your 406 is and if you have ever had handbrake issues which have then been resolved by changing some component?

Best wishes
John
Old 15-09-16, 10:18 PM   #10

Default handbrake

does your car have rear disks with handbrake drums inside like I mentioned or just drum brakes (no discs) on the rear
7-up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in