'Antipollution Fault' clarification - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-15, 07:35 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 'Antipollution Fault' clarification

Hello all

I've been reading about this for hours and I'm going round in cercles not really knowing what my car has got and what it hasn't and more specifically, what to do when the dreaded message comes up.

I've got a 2002 (September) 406 2.0 HDi 90, earlier today the message came up and it went into limp mode as others have described on here. And wow, limp mode really does suck as I'm sure you're aware the lack of acceleration is down right dangerous.

After doing a bunch of reading on my mobile while out I thought my best/easiest course of action would be the 4th gear method so I booted it home flat out in 4th gear for most of the way, barely able to get a notch over 45-50 but over the 12 mile journey home it appears to have resolved the message and it's operating normally again and limp mode has gone.

I do intend to get diagnostics run on it, I would like to know if the ECU stores a history of past problems, so if the car is fine now, would it still show up the cause of the antipollution message that it had earlier on?

Also, I would like to know if my car has for the fluid bag thing (can't remember the name) that needs replacing now and then? I've seen conflicting reports that it's only on the 110 or 2.2 models but I'd just like to know for sure really before it lets me down. And does it have the DPF as well, is the DPF and fluid bag present on all models that have DPF or do some have DPF without the bag? I'm fairly new to diesels so just trying to learn what I can really to prepare for any future disasters.

And finally, knowing that driving at high revs in 4th gear has resolved the problem, does that help identify the cause at all?
fitzy89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-15, 07:40 PM   #2

Your car is a 90 so has no real problems to worry about it was probably just the egr valve misbehaving

NO DPF
NO FLUID
NO CAP SENSOR
NO BOOST CONTROL SOLENOID

Fit a blanking plate to the egr valve if it keeps doing it
Old 06-08-15, 08:14 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks so much for the quick response and that's what I was hoping to hear.

If I end up needing to blank the EGR, does the ECU need any changes at all or a remap to make it behave properly?

Old 06-08-15, 08:49 PM   #4

No just blank it you can also plug the vacuum pipe to the solenoid but its not really needed blanking it is enough
Old 15-08-15, 02:11 AM   #5
Inactive User

Hi again. Just another quick follow up on this one. Today the issue happened again on the M25 of all places, cruising at 30-40mph on a motorway with heavy rain and spray, with my young son and inlaws in the car was dicing with death to say the least! But luckily knocking it in neutral on the downhill parts and revving over 3000 for a few miles did the trick again to fix it, pulled into a service station, restarted, no more limp mode or dashboard light.

So now I'm making the decision on whether to clean the valve or blank it off. My car has done a few miles at 165k and likely has a bit of wear, I don't know what, if any, maintenance has been done before I got it earlier this year. If I blank off the valve, due to the age and mileage is it likely to cause any issues with emissions at the next MOT?

I've found the plates on ebay, cheap as chips as others have suggested, should I use the one with or without a hole in the middle?. I've had a quick look for guides or a video but haven't had much luck for the 406, are there any tricks or anything to make the job easier? I've heard it's a bit of a ball-ache to get the tools in there and take the bolts out. Do I just remove the valve and leave the pipes there? Any other bits need to come off with it? I'm new to diesels so not sure exactly what's involved.
Old 15-08-15, 07:55 AM   #6
Ginger Magic

Hi mate - you need these.

There is a slot instead of holes so you can simply loosen the EGR ( a small 10mm spanner is all you need ) and slide the plate in then tighten the EGR back up

EGR valve blanking plate Ford 2.0 TDCi Peugeot 2.0HDi Citroen 2.0 HDi Volvo 2.0 | eBay

My mate had a Picasso Hdi90 that had the same issues as yours, I just unplugged his MAF sensor and it sorted his car out, maybe try this if the blanking plate doesn't do the trick, although blanking the EGR can only be a good thing.

Last edited by Ginger Magic; 15-08-15 at 09:05 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-08-15, 09:00 AM   #7
Inactive User

hi fitzy89
i had the same on my 406 2.0 hdi i call peugeot dealer in Folkestone and ask the parts department if my car had the dpf tank fitted and no my car hasn't so its worth giving your peugeot dealer a call coz i work with peugeot all day but more of the partners and bippers and boxers so i have a good relationship with my main dealer
kevinday284 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-08-15, 10:28 AM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Magic View Post
Hi mate - you need these.

There is a slot instead of holes so you can simply loosen the EGR ( a small 10mm spanner is all you need ) and slide the plate in then tighten the EGR back up

EGR valve blanking plate Ford 2.0 TDCi Peugeot 2.0HDi Citroen 2.0 HDi Volvo 2.0 | eBay

My mate had a Picasso Hdi90 that had the same issues as yours, I just unplugged his MAF sensor and it sorted his car out, maybe try this if the blanking plate doesn't do the trick, although blanking the EGR can only be a good thing.
Thanks for the info, I've ordered one of the plates.

I was also just reading this about disconnecting the blue plug, while I'm waiting for the plate to arrive (and some time to fit it) is it worth giving this a go? If so, should I leave the plug off once the plate EGR is blanked as well?
Old 15-08-15, 10:34 AM   #9

No need to remove the electrical connection just blank it and see how it goes but to be fair it could be something else causing the limp mode so don't pin all hopes on this curing it although it is quite likely the cause there are other possible reasons but its best to start with the easiest
Ginger Magic likes this.
Old 17-08-15, 02:45 PM   #10
Inactive User

Thanks for the replies again. While I'm waiting for the blanking plate to come in the post I decided to put a can of Wynns EGR3 through it and wow what a difference it's made. Revving feels so much smoother, it idles smoother, acceleration has shown a huge improvement it's like driving a petrol car again very quick off the line, pulls through corners much nicer. The smoke and soot that came out of it was very impressive too,

I did it in a public car park knowing the noise and mess it would make, the car park is nicely blackened and you couldn't see through the smoke it made, looked very much like this (at 8:55) https://youtu.be/1DhYk3Mm8HQ?t=526

Overall though the Wynns seems very good I'm really impressed. I'll still blank off the EGR in the warm weather but will likely take the plate out for the winter months as others have suggested it's bes to have it active in cold weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in