406HDi- auto to manual - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-10-17, 04:50 AM   #1

Default 406HDi- auto to manual

Probably a question for reliable?

I have a mintish low mileage 406HDi auto where the auto AL4 has spat the dummy. So this is the ideal time to convert to manual, [I far prefer the manual anyway..] hate the AL4.

The 406 is a late model with the 3 plug ECU. I have a manual donor vehicle with the same 3 plug ECU. I also have another manual HDi potential donor with the earlier single plug ECU.

Done extensive googling/searching but no clear answer what is involved in the electronic side.

1. Do I need to use a manual ECU or can the auto one be switched to manual using PP2000.
2. What alterations need to be done to the wiring loom apart from getting rid of the starter inhibiting circuit. Do any wires to the auto need to be cut/joined/re-routed etc... Or is it impossible and I need to use a full manual loom?[<-hopefully not..]

Going through the available wiring diagrams gives no hints; they are, quite frankly, useless. I have done dozens of auto-manual conversions in other vehicles which are from a similar era, but have always been able to source good wiring diagrams and plenty of info on the electronics/ECU's and how to flash from auto-manual etc, but nothing on this particular 406 one I want to do.

Anyone done one and can help with what needs to be done apart from the mechanical side?
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-10-17, 02:06 PM   #2

You can do it by just leaving the auto ECU in place and either set the inhibitor to neutral or park as the car wont care if its auto or manual obviously there are lots of minor differences your main issue is fitting the clutch pedal etc thats not a pleasant job !!

Doubt you will have any real issues though.
I converted my espace v6 to manual and initially left ecu in place but even with it unplugged car was happy
Old 21-10-17, 06:15 PM   #3

Thanks for that, had not looked into what is involved in the pedal swap yet, your comment does not sound encouraging! Might be the hardest part of the whole conversion..?

Will advise on progress, will strip the donor of pedal cluster first to see what degree of mongrel job it is, and decide what to do afterwards.

Old 21-10-17, 07:28 PM   #4

Pedal assembly is best removed after engine is out as it is more obvious how it all comes out then.
Old 30-10-17, 02:29 AM   #5

Another question.

I have always dropped the whole engine/gearbox assembly out of the bottom, but have only ever stripped auto 406 hdi's. I am about to gut the manual donor for my conversion.
I see the esteemed haynes manual says to take the engine/manual box setup out of the top, not the bottom as for the auto setup. I always treat anything the haynes books say with more than just a fair bit of suspicion due to long experience with them, so just wonder if there is a valid reason to take the engine/manual gearbox assembly out of the top and not drop it out of the bottom.
I have both a large engine crane and also a 1 ton electric chain hoist on an overhead monorail so getting it out of the top is not an issue, just want to make sure I go in the right direction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in