406 misfire - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-10-13, 07:03 PM   #1

Unhappy 406 misfire

I have a problem with the misus 2001 406 petrol auto estate. w12 engine.
Starts fine from cold drives and ticks over ok. but once warm engine management light comes on and runs on 3 cyl. I have put in new plugs, and coil pack. no change. When problem arises i have disconnected each fuel injector 1 at a time, and the first one on the far right of the engine is not firing when this incident happens. I have put in another injector and the same problem has arisen on this cylinder. Is there a seperate relay for each injector, as i am wondering if this is the problem. as i am at my wits end....any help would be appreciated
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-10-13, 01:56 PM   #2

Could be something coolant temp related?.
If it's fine from cold, and starts messing once warm?. Or, something is failing and once it gets hot from the engine it is misbehaving. As we all know, electrical resistance increases with temperature
Old 07-11-13, 10:31 AM   #3
Inactive User

Rather than start a separate thread for a similar problem, I thought it would be best to tag my question on here:

It's a pretty basic one:
I'm trying to help someone cure a running issue on an imported 406 V6 estate.
Peugeot Planet tells me it has a misfire on cylinder 3.
So we've got plugs ready to fit, but are aware that the problem COULD be a coil pack (it has individual ones for each cylinder).

My question is: which cylinder is number 3? Looking at the engine from the front of the car with the timing belt cover on your left, do you count in horizontal or vertical lines, and where do you start?

Changing all the plugs may cure the problem, but just in case it doesn't, I'd like to ensure that the potentially dodgy coil pack isn't hiding under the inlet plenum so that it can be easily swapped out. If I start counting from the wrong cylinder, I could end up burying the problem exactly where I DON'T want it to be!!!

Thanks all!
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-13, 09:39 AM   #4
Inactive User

Wow, I THOUGHT it would be simple - doesn't anyone know?
Old 08-11-13, 11:51 AM   #5

Cylinders are numbered from gearbox end towards front pulley the reverse of most other cars

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-11-13, 12:52 PM   #6
Inactive User

Thank you for the reply and nice RGV by the way - I had one of those as my first bike - great fun if you don't mind 25mpg, a fortune in 2-stroke oil and power-valves that like to interfere with pistons at 11,000rpm!

But back on topic:
Looking at the engine from in front of the car (with the timing belt on the left and the gearbox on the right), does that mean the cylinders are numbered:

or

or

or

???

Thanks.

Last edited by Enright; 08-11-13 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 01:06 PM   #7

Cannot remember the configuration but if you look from above you should see the order due to offset cylinders you should see one coil closer to gearbox that bank is 135 and other bank 246.

Yes RGV is great fun but costs more to run than car F2 tune on motor so only about 21 mpg. One blown engine due to power valves 1500 rebuild and dave cooper power valves and heads to stop it happening again

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in