406 HDI DW10TD Engine - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-12-15, 02:58 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 406 HDI DW10TD Engine

I,m am fixing my car as the bottom pulley went. So I decided to renew the timing belt as well. I locked all pins in position but forgot to mark bottom sproket.
Does any one know whether it should be turned clockwise or anti clockwise to set it up please.

Thanks

Kevin
kevin50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-12-15, 03:41 PM   #2

If you have pinned it properly then thats all thats needed if yours has a floating pulley its simply to take up the belt slack there is no correct position for it as long as it is not hitting the key with slack on belt all belt slack should be at tensioner side prior to tensioning.
Old 22-12-15, 03:58 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
If you have pinned it properly then thats all thats needed if yours has a floating pulley its simply to take up the belt slack there is no correct position for it as long as it is not hitting the key with slack on belt all belt slack should be at tensioner side prior to tensioning.

Thank you for your answer, but could you tell why they make a crankshaft sprocket aligning tool then. If it's only for belt tensioning aiding.
I have heard a number of stories concerning these sprockets when they are not put in the right position. I would have thought this has something to do with degrees BTDC, ie valve time or advancing and retiring of the engine.

Thanks

Kevin

Old 22-12-15, 04:44 PM   #4

The floating pulley is to allow for manufacturing tolerances they used to make the cam pulley adjustable on early models but decided it was easier and cheaper to make the crank pulley adjustable

Total adjustment is probably 3-4 degrees its nothing !

I have done hundreds of belts i use a junior hacksaw for the crank pin and a long bolt for the cam pin no need for any special tools
Old 22-12-15, 05:22 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
The floating pulley is to allow for manufacturing tolerances they used to make the cam pulley adjustable on early models but decided it was easier and cheaper to make the crank pulley adjustable

Total adjustment is probably 3-4 degrees its nothing !

I have done hundreds of belts i use a junior hacksaw for the crank pin and a long bolt for the cam pin no need for any special tools
Right I understand if this is set at 4 degrees BTDC then surely I need to turn it
anticlockwise so that the woodraft key is sitting tight on the other side and wedge a flat head screw driver in there. Is that correct

Thanks

Kevin
Old 22-12-15, 05:38 PM   #6

You don't need to do anything other than fit the belt the pins lock the timing ! Not sure where you are finding this info but it's just extra bollox
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-12-15, 06:36 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
You don't need to do anything other than fit the belt the pins lock the timing ! Not sure where you are finding this info but it's just extra bollox
Yeah your right there's always extre bollox!!! They try to make everything so technical now don't they. Anyway just found out that the tool is used to centralize the crankshaft sprocket, so the opening are the same either side. So there's the anwser.

Thanks for your time, get it done tomorrow now!!!

Kevin
Old 22-12-15, 07:59 PM   #8

So its an extra tool that does something you can do yourself with your hand in the process of fitting the belt

As long as the cam and crank are pinned and the slack of the belt is all at the tensioner side then the position of the pulley is unimportant as long as the belt is tight the slot does not need to be central it is designed to move once outer pulley is on this locks it in place.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in