406 HDI 2.0 110 no power - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-11-16, 08:00 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 406 HDI 2.0 110 no power

Hi Everyone!
Just joined the forum in the hope of getting some much needed help. Just purchased an extremely cheap 406 as a run about for winter (been told they are great cars) seemed fine for all of 10 minutes until it through some fault codes at me.
P0380 Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" Malfunction
P0243 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction
It went into limp mode I read the codes erased them and carried on, but the power is just not there. Swapped turbo plug into EGR solanoid which changed nothing, cleaned the MAF and unplugged it made a slight bit of difference for about a mile but still can't get up any hills in Sheffield in 2nd gear, changed fuel filter air filter oil filter and oil still no difference. I have never driven a 406 turbo Diesel before so I have no real experience but surely they are meant to go up hills? All help would be appreciated! I'm thinking about taking it to the garage for diagnostics but don't want them to bend me over. Hoping it not the turbo. Thanks in advance
Sevenhills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-11-16, 08:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenhills View Post
Hi Everyone!
Just joined the forum in the hope of getting some much needed help. Just purchased an extremely cheap 406 as a run about for winter (been told they are great cars) seemed fine for all of 10 minutes until it through some fault codes at me.
P0380 Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" Malfunction
P0243 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction
It went into limp mode I read the codes erased them and carried on, but the power is just not there. Swapped turbo plug into EGR solanoid which changed nothing, cleaned the MAF and unplugged it made a slight bit of difference for about a mile but still can't get up any hills in Sheffield in 2nd gear, changed fuel filter air filter oil filter and oil still no difference. I have never driven a 406 turbo Diesel before so I have no real experience but surely they are meant to go up hills? All help would be appreciated! I'm thinking about taking it to the garage for diagnostics but don't want them to bend me over. Hoping it not the turbo. Thanks in advance
You need to get it on planet/diagbox to read the codes and have a look at live data have a good read of the link below it explains a lot of stuff like how to contact a member with the relevant equipment needed https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...members-83170/
Old 21-11-16, 08:41 PM   #3

Vacuum loss to the boost solenoid is the most common reason for low boost its NOT the turbo it rarely is the turbo.

ignore the glowplug fault they all have it !!

Fault codes dont really tell you anything worthwhile live data much more useful as well as a vacuum gauge

Old 14-02-17, 08:47 PM   #4

There is a very short vacuum hose on the intake. On the underside very close to the absbox. Very hard to see. It is only about an inch long. It is most likely broken, very common fault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
barbaren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-02-17, 10:59 PM   #5
Inactive User

Default I'm having a very similar issue with my 307

Hi Sevenhills. Did you end up finding a solution to your fault. My 2006 307 is running well, however has the same loss of power you refer to. It is normally a very 'nippy' car, however now it struggles to go up hills unless i get speed up prior. Overtaking is a thing of the past, just so sluggish. On idle it will rev to 5k without an issue and sounds fine, but under load it just seems like the turbo is non operational. I'm guessing a vacuum loss somewhere, however cant find it.

I have had Diagnosis report and the following faults recorded;
* P1434 Diesel additive System Additive Pump
* P0495 Engine Cooling Function In Engine ECU Incoherence (fan speed/setting)
* P1536 Brake switch Signal Main Switch Error
* P2565 Westgate control Solenoid Position Repeat Voltage Too High-
* P0299 Turbo Pressure Control Turbo Pressure Too Low
* P2563 Westgate Control Solenoid Valve Position Unexpected
* P0098 Air Temperature Circuit Exchanger Open Circuit Or Short Circuit To Battery
* P0238 Turbo Pressure Control Short Circuit to Battery

I'm really only taking notice of the vacuum and Turbo related faults.

Anyone have any ideas???

Last edited by Ferg; 14-02-17 at 11:11 PM.
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-02-17, 03:45 AM   #6

Firstly, did you read the faults, clear them, take the car for a short run, then re-read the faults? Need to know the current faults, not historic ones which may have sorted themselves.

I am not familiar with the 307 hdi turbo as mine is a 2003 non-turbo, but have a 407 hdi and a 406 hdi [both turbo]. As reliable says, most boost problems are caused by a lack of vacuum. Over the years I have had issues with boost, twice it has been a split vacuum hose and once the lower turbo pipe on the 406 burst.

If I now experience a lack of power, the first thing I do is I connect my vacuum gauge to the turbo vacuum solenoid [between the vacuum pump and the solenoid] and check for good vacuum first. If there is good strong vacuum, I then connect my boost gauge to the takeoff I have installed on my intake manifold and check for what boost it shows. If both prove to be ok, I then would resort to plugging in my laptop and getting live data on PP2000/Diagbox. But have not had to resort to that yet...
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-02-17, 04:50 AM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks WILLNZ, yeah I took the vehicle into the local mechanic who has the right Diagnostic tool for Peugeots and those faults came up. Hard to know which ones are relevant. He cleared them and i'll drop it back off to him next week for another report. I've read in previous blogs that it can be quite common to have a crack in the 'Y' connection joining three vacuum pipes. I've checked this and its fine, to be 100% sure i cased it in a fast setting compound , so it can't leak now!
Sounds like i should get myself a vacuum gauge!
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-04-18, 08:17 PM   #8

hi, sorry for digging up an old post. just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of P1434 code? cheers.
iiminov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in